Plastic bio-media in DWC

LiberalThinker

I have a load of biomedia from a pond filter, do you think it would be useful as support/habitat for the bacteria? I'm wondering if this approach would help the beneficial bacteria out-populate pythium ssp, so it isn't a potential nuisance on the roots. Also, I'm thinking if there is bacteria stuck to the bio-media, there should be enough to negate having to reinoculate when I change the nutes. Any thoughts?

Yea, I raised salt water fish and have several wet dry filters. I was going to adapt one and use a DWC. I think the real benefit is the highly oxygenated water. Then I discovered Water Farms. Same principle much more simple and cheap. Been using one with the same media for 5-years.

Yea, I raised salt water fish and have several wet dry filters. I was going to adapt one and use a DWC. I think the real benefit is the highly oxygenated water. Then I discovered Water Farms. Same principle much more simple and cheap. Been using one with the same media for 5-years.
Has it helped avoid root problems like pythium?

Never had any root problems. Probably because of weekly water changes. It only holds 2-gals so it's super easy. Don't know why more folks don't use these.

Never had any root problems. Probably because of weekly water changes. It only holds 2-gals so it's super easy. Don't know why more folks don't use these.

I run four plants at a time. Right now they drink 3-5qts each everyday. Two gallons isn't going to help me. :cool:

Yea, the water farm is only good for 1-plant. But, they make a system for multiple plants. I think it's a reasonable investment when considering the reduced costs required for nutes and additives.

Back
Top Bottom