Plastic Gets A Bagging

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Every year Australian consumers use 6.9 billion plastic bags.

Of that 6.9 billion, 80 million end up as litter in our drains and waterways, setting state and local governments back $200 million a year in cleaning bills.

Seven years ago, Marea Buist from Yamba decided it was time to reduce plastic bag usage in her local area and make a positive difference to the environment.

Ms Buist is part of a group known as the Plastic Bag Free Committee, which also includes Jane Mitchell, Barbara Whale and Helen Tyas Tunggal. Together these passionate women are working towards making Yamba a plastic bag-free town.

“I had an idea to use hemp bags instead of plastic ones,” Ms Buist said.

“Four or five years ago I took my idea to the Yamba Chamber of Commerce and while people were supportive of my idea, they didn't have time to do the groundwork.

“When Tania Williams became president of the Chamber of Commerce she thought this idea was fantastic and with her support we managed to make it public knowledge.”

Launched at the Yamba River Markets on Sunday, Ms Buist's hemp bags have proven a success with the Yamba community.

“The launch was very positive and we received good feedback,” she said.

“The bags were designed by students from St James here in Yamba and it's great to have locals, especially children, involved with their production.

“Hemp bags are a better alternative for the environment as hemp requires less water to grow and a hemp bag has a lifespan of 20 years.

“We can't fix all the environmental problems in the world but we can make a start in our own backyard.”

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: dailyexaminer.com.au
Author: Emma Pritchard
Copyright: 2009 APN News & Media Ltd
Website: Plastic gets a bagging | Northern Rivers News | Local News in Northern Rivers | Grafton Daily Examiner

Back
Top Bottom