Plastic is killing me - Trying to grow some veggies in hydro

Catwhisperer

420 Member
I know its half way off topic and other half is on topic. I used to grow weed in hydro but now I want to grow tomatoes ,cucumber & whatever.
By that I started to look at plastic and their food safeness, the problem is: you can read something on the internet and the absolute opposite also...so I'm back here ,asking the pros.

What kind of plastic are you using for your hydroponics setup? Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET), High Density Polyethylene (HDPE),Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE), Polypropylene (PP), Polystyrene (PS), Other?

So what I read so far for example:
PET: one side says you can melt it and drink it...the other side says if you look at it you are going to die a horrible death (exaggerating obviously ,but something like this).
PVC: its absolutely safe on one hand on the other IT IS DESTROYING THE WORLD.

So ,honestly ,im a bit confused. I just want to grow some tomatoes to make some tomato sauce for my pizza ...why does it have to be so confusing?

I know PP/HDPE/LDPE is food safe. Great ,I found some buckets on the interwebz ... but: tubing? Misters for aeroponics? Tanks? Not a single retailer is telling me what they are made of on their sites... so currently im writing every single MF asking WTF is their product made of?!
Till now I got:
-Nothing
-"our fabric manufacturer says it's health safe...But you are right, I think we must do some individual laboratory research" (best answer I got yet)
-More nothing

Please help me, I need yummi tomatoes... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

You're looking for the best of all wordls wonder material. Which won't be produced because the profit margin is too low or some shit. Everything is going to have some sort of trade off. Pick the one you like the pros the most and hate the cons the least. People grow plants in pretty much all of those materials and a ton more that are worse.

Back
Top Bottom