Please help: Aquaponics watering schedule?

MagicNinja608

I'm setting up a aquaponics set up on top of my 75 gal fish tank. I got a pvc pipe at an angle with a spray bar that sprays down into the pots (with clay pebbles) and instantly drains back into the fish tank. My only question is what kind of on/off watering schedule should I use for optimum root/plant health?

I would look into aquaponics a little more. There are alot of different methods. One issue with growing flowering plants in aquaponics is the nitrogen levels can be high through the bloom cycle.

Thanks, I'll look into that. But back to my original question, do you know what kind of watering schedule I should use? I got a timer on my pump and I just need to know what kind of on/off schedule I should use for my particular set up. Like 15 min on 45 min off?

If the roots will be hanging in water all the time, then watering from over top can minimal, but if the roots will be exposed to the air between waterings (or before the roots come out of the net pots), then 15on/15off should do it. If your water is aerated enough, then you can leave the water on constantly. Most people use the 15on/15off to save electricity.

If it's an ebb and flow system, then just use a standard hydro ebb and flow time cycle (like 15min every hour, or 15min every 30min, something like that)

Make to to test your ammonia levels in aquaponics too.

I continuously cycle my water, specifically for the sake of my fish (brook&rainbow trout). My Nitrates never get high enough to effect the taste of my bud.

I continuously cycle my water, specifically for the sake of my fish (brook&rainbow trout). My Nitrates never get high enough to effect the taste of my bud.
I'm wondering the same thing right now. I have a small opp in my living room so I can enjoy the goldfish..but every 15 minutes they're all gasping at the surface while the pump is off. I'm assuming this is putting a lot of stress on our little buddies. Will there be adverse effects on the plants if they have a constant circulating pool?

Goldfish can survive in really low dissolved oxygen levels.
I'm wondering the same thing right now. I have a small opp in my living room so I can enjoy the goldfish..but every 15 minutes they're all gasping at the surface while the pump is off. I'm assuming this is putting a lot of stress on our little buddies. Will there be adverse effects on the plants if they have a constant circulating pool?

Depending on what kind of setup you have continuous circulation may be fine. The easiest option is to add an airstone. Some sort of a waterfall to get water pouring back into itself will also help oxygenate the water further.

Dual root system over 10 gallon tank

Attachments

• 15844222569693369290045223255127.jpg
    15844222569693369290045223255127.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 127
So I have the same set up over my 10gal fish tank. I run my veg box with the first tank as a res. I use the constant flow system without an air stone until flower then I stop top feeding them and use the dwc system to flower. My pump is in the fish tank with fish. I pump it to the box and have hoses to each pot and just run it.

Back
Top Bottom