Please help diagnose - Fourth week hermie? Appreciate your input are these female calyx or seed pods?

Hi again Guy:
Addendum to my answer to your observation that if I have a male or two in there I have beeeeg problems:
Fortunately I am sure they are all females -
I can definitely tell the difference and I absolutely did not expect any hermies at all, even with the heat in veg because I fixed problem quick. But I’m learning a lot all the time and I may have done something wrong .,
For instance: the plants in the middle of the scrog are between two hps 600w lights with supplemental 600w cfl lights at either end tilted for side light:
However, I experimented (possibly foolish!) by hanging a co2 bag above the plants - the place I hung it is between the lights and where it’s hung those plants stretched insanely tall and are very thick and strong looking but those are the ones I noticed the pods on! So I may have done something untoward there, eh?
Cheers mate!

That's another very interesting observation, I cannot say I've ever heard anybody say anything about CO2 and potential links to being a Hermie plant ......hmmmm.

@bobrown14 , @Pennywise ..... let's see if we can get a couple of people in here that can definitely shed some light on what's going on.

I'm not too proud to ask as well LOL.

With the amount of flowers being showed that is a full on hermie. I would not use the pollen because it will be mostly hermie genetics. A male flower or 2 is not a big deal. Full floral clusters on a plant that was not reversed is a bad thing. I have never had heat stress cause a plant to hermie that bad. Trim off what you can find and hope for the best. As long as the pollen does not create a bunch of immature seeds you will be ok. I would not trust the seeds if get some though. Hope this helps

Yeah, it's never going to be a good thing when you find a mature seed pods like that but at least you can lessen the hit. Also a good lesson for myself, heat is something that I do sometimes struggle with. I guess some strains are more susceptible to the Hermie condition than others.

Thanks for swinging by Jackalope.....

I agree just remove any pollen sacs you find, a lot of times you’ll see sacs pop up but once pulled don’t come back. You may get lucky, also Hermies don’t always produce viable pollen. If you can keep the plant going without affecting the others you can always make Hash or oil from the hermie.

Thanks @Pennywise , always good to have a couple of experts on scene to lend a hand.

Wow, that’s brilliant to have cool-headed advice from all of you and thank you very much!!! I will persevere with plucking the little buggers and have a right go at my seed purveyors... also my gut (or blind optimism!) does tell me that the crop will come through best as possible if I catch what male pods I find! Thanks again everyone!

Good luck Dbones, quite a few of the newest flavors of the month will produce some pollen sacs. Just have to check them often. Most pollen sacs should be low on the plant or very near the main stalk and branches. Sneaky little buggers!

Thanks again guys and @dbones, feel free to follow along our grows if you are looking for something to do LOL. We're always learning something too....

Took a little while to finish writing this message as I was going back to read your most recent kind words of support as they came in:
I want to say to you guys you’re a great help and to give massive “Big-Ups” and kudos to Guy Cavallero, Pennywise, Jackalope, for sharing your accrued wisdom and experience with me.. you’ve all made me feel a lot better (way better than I did earlier - wringing my hands and worrying!!!
Thank you loads (and also those who read along too and liked)
Very much appreciated, and I will follow your journals too!
Nice one, big help!!
Cheers. Bones

If you want to increase traffic on your own journal just start popping in on other people’s journals and letting people know who you are and what you have growing. 420 is a super friendly community always at the ready to help out a fellow grower!

With the amount of flowers being showed that is a full on hermie. I would not use the pollen because it will be mostly hermie genetics. A male flower or 2 is not a big deal. Full floral clusters on a plant that was not reversed is a bad thing. I have never had heat stress cause a plant to hermie that bad. Trim off what you can find and hope for the best. As long as the pollen does not create a bunch of immature seeds you will be ok. I would not trust the seeds if get some though. Hope this helps
Hi Jackalope, I re-read your message and wondered if you referred to the pic that Guy put up of his bro’s full on hermie - because you mention the amount of flowers and “full on hermie, it makes me think you saw Guys pick. I just found two little pods yesterday and only another couple since then. The pic of mine is at beginning of thread: not a full on H and no big clusters.. but still big worry for me and thanks for advice!!
Here is the pic I posted:
Cheers!!!

Kudos to you my friend for seeking help. Never be too proud. It can screw you fast. I presently have an issue with mites in my grow. Luckily I caught them early and have a handle on them. Even though I have my pesticide spraying license, I still looked for the advice of seasoned Growers to help me get rid of these little bastards.....organically to boot.

Nice touch!

Yeah dbones you are right sorry. I should have read more. Yes flowers like that can just be clipped off. I have did it lots and it has never been a problem. Keep a eye on the buds real well for a while. If they start showing up in the buds you will never be able to keep up. For one reason or another plants will throw those out at branch junctions. As long as they stay there your fine and can just trim them off. Late in flower lots of strains will do this. The only time it is ever a problem is with perpetual grows. In those cases the seeds will probably be mostly female and good to grow.

Yeah dbones you are right sorry. I should have read more. Yes flowers like that can just be clipped off. I have did it lots and it has never been a problem. Keep a eye on the buds real well for a while. If they start showing up in the buds you will never be able to keep up. For one reason or another plants will throw those out at branch junctions. As long as they stay there your fine and can just trim them off. Late in flower lots of strains will do this. The only time it is ever a problem is with perpetual grows. In those cases the seeds will probably be mostly female and good to grow.
Cheers for that Jackalope! I figured you’d just seen the pic Guy put up; shows a very different situation to mine! With that amount of male flowers I’d have chucked ‘em by now! I really appreciate your input, and as you all concur that my situation is viable: I gotta be like a hawk though! I have done three grows and I was thrown in the deep end with none of the guidance I was promised (as well as some worn auto pot parts that caused a major flood in my first grow: I still got very good bud, just low yield. My second went ok but I made mistakes like not adding pk at the right time and no real boost nutrients in flower and again low yield. My third grow I was given some clones that were so rootbound and big they were practically in flower! I was horrified to find the roots matted like dreadlocks coming through bottom of pot and transplant was stressful. Then, because I have to Travel out of my manor to my grow place outside city, I couldn’t, and didn’t realised how essential being watchful was, and environment was too hot: they hermied like a mofo! So I sorted all my environmental problems and this grow should’ve been just so.. little heat stress early on that was quickly tweaked! So I’m gutted they’re showing hermie bits but I’m committed now so gotta pluck pluck pluck!!)
Anyhooo!!
It’ll be alright on the night, I bloody well hope!!!
Thank You so much for your help
Cheers
Bones

Kudos to you my friend for seeking help. Never be too proud. It can screw you fast. I presently have an issue with mites in my grow. Luckily I caught them early and have a handle on them. Even though I have my pesticide spraying license, I still looked for the advice of seasoned Growers to help me get rid of these little bastards.....organically to boot.

Nice touch!
If you’re going all organic are you using Neem Oil for the mites? I dunno but it was recommended to me if I had bugs (luckily I have spiders galore and no bug problem!! )
Yeah, Neem Oil: sprayed at night though and I don’t know if taste affected so perhaps good flush needed..?
Thanks loads for today: you really rallied the troops in helping me out and I feel lots better for the great input and support from everyone
Big luv to you all!
Dbones

Brother were here for each other. Not much point being part of such an amazing community if nobody asks or is willing to help.....Im proud to help. I'm proud to be a part of this community.

You cannot buy Neem based products in Canada anymore. I know because I had searched for it far and wide when I was creating my LOS mix. No, I've used Bug B Go and Safers soap so far. I have another round of organics up my sleeve too for my last blast before leaving the girls for a long weekend away fishing with my brother, @Peeece and @flytier out on the east coast. I've also been spraying on my non pesticide days with a 9:1 alcohol mixture and high pressure. I also bleach my rooms every time I spray. I've got these little prices.. ....dont they know I've got a perpetual going on .......sheeeesh, Lol!

Back
Top Bottom