Please help diagnose this problem

Happyjoy

hi there everyone.
im in middle of a grow and need some urgent advice. (my journal is in my sig).
basically to sum things up, im growing 3 strains, all sativa dominant, side by side. (LST AND TOPPING DONE)

STRAINS: durban poison (far right in pic). Maui waui (middle). CBD Medi haze (far left in pic)
LIGHTING: LED
MEDIUM: ph neuteral soil
NUTES: Bioz Bizz starter pack

its important that i mention this:
in the beggining of the grow, i considered getting CALMAG since im using LEDS. i emailed BIOBIZZ and asked them if its nescesary to use CALMAG while using their nutes.
they told me that BIOBIZZ biogrow has sufficient calcium and magnesium, and that LED growing in general needs more nutes, and not just more calmag only.
they reccomended me, that instead of using calmag, that i stick to their nutes, and just add more BIOGROW than in the grow chart. (they told me to only add additional biogrow (not the flowering nutes of theires, since their set consits of three different bottles, so they didnt just tell me to add more of everything)
for example, the reccomended schedule during flower is around 4ml biogro per litre of water. they told me that i should gradually up the amount to 10ml biogrow per litre, while watching to see hwo the plants react. and that should make up for the extra nutes that LED requires.
so ive been doing this gradually week by week. im currently at about 8ML biogrow per litre of water (instead of the reccomended 4), and i think that maybe these problems im seeing now might actually be because of teh extra nutes....
if so, what should i do? go back to the regular amount of nutes, and get CALMAG instead?

im in the begining of week 6 of flowering. and im starting to notice signs of what might look to me (first time grower) like magnesium defficiancy maybe?

however things get difficult, because the two plants on the sides show the same signs. while the plant in the middle shows different sings....

-the two plants on the sides both show these gold colored lines or splotches. and burnt tips, and the leaves overall are a slightly lighter green color than the middle plant.
-the middle plant is a darker green color, and doesnt have any of the gold colored splotches or burnt tips. but im concerned maybe with the light green line through the mdidle of the leaves. or maybe its normal?

in any case. heres a bunch of pics.
PIC OF CANOPY FROM ON TOP. to see difference in colors:
heres an overall pic of the canopy. u can see how its lighter green on the two opposite sides. those are the two strains that are getting the lighter green color, and splotches
IMG_37599.JPG

heres some pics closer up, where u can see the color difference in the strains better.
IMG_37739.JPG
IMG_37905.JPG

HERES DIFFERENT PICS OF THE LEAVES OF THE STRAINS THAT HAVE THE LIGHTER LEAF COLOR AND SPLOTCHING:
IMG_37835.JPG
IMG_37826.JPG
IMG_37709.JPG
IMG_37679.JPG
IMG_37668.JPG
IMG_37659.JPG
IMG_376411.JPG
IMG_37637.JPG
IMG_376210.JPG
IMG_37617.JPG

AND HERES A PIC OF THE STRAIN IN THE MIDDLE THAT HAS A DARKER LEAF COLOR AND NO SPLOTCHING:
IMG_37857.JPG

HERES JUST A NICE BUD SHOT ;)
IMG_37799.JPG

SO i guess that the main question is:
IS this a result of too much feeding, and are my plants suffering from nute poisoning?
OR
Is the plan of biobizz not working of increasing biogrow, and are the plants showing a nute defficiency, and should i just go out and buy some CALMAG

what dyall think? thnks:thumb:

Just give them water only for a while. That guy gave you terrible advice.

Plants do not need any more nutes under LED than any other kind of lighting. That is BS, every strain and phenotype has different nutritional requirements. A feeding guide is only a rough guide.

Just give them water only for a while. That guy gave you terrible advice.

Plants do not need any more nutes under LED than any other kind of lighting. That is BS, every strain and phenotype has different nutritional requirements. A feeding guide is only a rough guide.

thnks richard. so do you think that the signs my plants are showing me are nute burn? and not mag or cal defiency?

if so, should i rush and give them regular water right now, even though they dont actually need to be watered for a few more days, in order to help flush them out?

wouldnt it be better to just give them water with the 'correct' amount of nutes, instead of plain water, so that they can continue to grow correctly?

If you are on week 6, then they don't need much more anyway.

Too much feeding can lead to lock-outs, which are misdiagnosed as deficiencies.
They shouldn't be getting any grow nutes at all at this stage :thumb:

thnks again richard.
theyre all staiva dom strains, and are expected to flower up to 8 weeks for durban poison, and the other two around 10 weeks.
so i was planning on cutting out nutes at end of week 7 (around week and a half)

u think i should cut it out sooner?

Indeed, they're very green and healthly looking otherwise. While many do recommend calmag supplement when using LED, Mag deficiency is easily misdiagnosed. PH runoff? Are you keeping them in proper PH range for medium?

Indeed, they're very green and healthly looking otherwise. While many do recommend calmag supplement when using LED, Mag deficiency is easily misdiagnosed. PH runoff? Are you keeping them in proper PH range for medium?

growing medium is a special soil i bought at a local growshop that is supposed to be completely PH nuetral. its a mix of earth, cocoa, perlite. and im not sure what else. but its supposed to be completely nuetral and allow to get all the nutes only from the added nutes.

in the beggining of the grow i was checking nutes, and runnofs PH. but it was coming out perfect each time, so i stopped.
i have really great filtered water that i use, from a good carbon filter (all our drinking water comes from underground springs here, and the carbon filter takes out any thing added). the water, with the nutes mixed in always PHd perfectly. also the runnoff was great. i havent done it in a while though.

is there some way i can check it now if im not watering? all i have is standard PH strips.

They don't look bad and growing different strains isn't easy because one likes more or less of one thing and the others don't. I grow different strains and one of mine needs more mag. than the others. Since my soil is ph balanced or neutral, it has Cal in it. I use filtered water so I have to add Mag to my water. I use a tsp. of Epsom salt per liter of water. Whenever I see her turning a light green.

OP the reason I mention PH runoff is I had similar spotting that I misdiagnosed as a Mag deficiency. My root PH was too high for soilless medium, I flushed and started monitoring. That was veg though. Maybe measure runoff during next watering? Perhaps someone more experienced can answer your question on feeding or watering next considering variables and being in flower. Just thought I'd mention PH.

hey there everyone.
i just gave them a regular watering with normal neutraly PH'd water without adding any nutes. (THE PH OF THE WATER FROM THE TAP IS AROUND 7)

i checked the PH of the runnoff.

the middle plant which seems the least effected, and has darker leaves, is somewhere between 7.5-8 PH runnof

the two plants on the side which have the burning on the leaf tips, and on some parts of the leaves themselves, and also is a lighter green, their runnof PH is around 7

does that show anythign?

Well it does look like you've had nute burn but also looks like spotting I've read about and had which was due to PH in wrong range (too high). That mix.. ask your provider what PH runoff should be, in soil or soilless range. Important me thinks but that's academic talking not experience. If soilless range than your runoff is high. Someone recommend flushing with plenty of 5.5 to get my soilless in range and all my spotting cleared up fast. Again that was in veg. I flushed 5 gal pots with 5 gal of 5.5 then fed next watering. Perhaps some pros can chime in. I'd still ask provider about runoff range. Nice scrog, you'll fix them. lastly any signs of pests?

Well it does look like you've had nute burn but also looks like spotting I've read about and had which was due to PH in wrong range (too high). That mix.. ask your provider what PH runoff should be, in soil or soilless range. Important me thinks but that's academic talking not experience. If soilless range than your runoff is high. Someone recommend flushing with plenty of 5.5 to get my soilless in range and all my spotting cleared up fast. Again that was in veg. I flushed 5 gal pots with 5 gal of 5.5 then fed next watering. Perhaps some pros can chime in. I'd still ask provider about runoff range. Nice scrog, you'll fix them. lastly any signs of pests?

i asked provider for info of what runnoff shoudl be, still waiting for answer from them....
if both plants runoff was 7, and one plant 7.5, does that mean that i should give them a full flush? (i only gave them a regular watering with regular water, but i idndt actaully flush them). or does that sound fine, and should i just continue normally?
any experts here would like to chime in??

as far as pests, i had a big problem with fungus gnats, that i tried fighting on and off for weeks (organically). i finnally got myself some MOSQUITO BITS (best move i ever did ;) ). i sprinkled it on the soil (about two weeks), and whenever i water, the mosquito bits get damp, and that activates them. ive only seen a few lone fungus gnats here and there, and added some more mosquito bits to the soil. everything seems clear now.... coudl too much mosquito bits be messing with my PH? i doubt it....

So update on what your medium guy says about PH range. Damn fungus knats. Of any pest I think those would annoy me most. so update on what you do. Nice scrog btw, I need to build one what's the screen a plastic?

So update on what your medium guy says about PH range. Damn fungus knats. Of any pest I think those would annoy me most. so update on what you do. Nice scrog btw, I need to build one what's the screen a plastic?

i tried getting some sort of idea of PH range from the guy.
they said since its supposed to be neutral earth, that the PH runoff should be exactly as the water i put in....
which is pretty much what was for the two side plants, the middle plant was .5 higher runoff than what i watered with.

in any case, things have not gotten any worse, so after doing one watering with neutral PHd water (7), ive just left them. i hope to be getting epsom salt any day, so ill start adding that to every watering.
any suggestions how much to add?

The screen, i actually bought in a grow store.but i needed to MODIFY it alot. they sell the same screen in hardware stores. its plastic.
the reason i needed to modify it, is because the holes that came on it, were only about .25 square inches spacing each per hole. so i cut out whatever i didnt want to make the holes larger. (in the pic ull see that i left some squares untouched. i was doing this to expiremnt with different shapes of larger or smaller squares, and spaces in between them to see if it helped with the scrog at all.
i built a frame with some wood, nails, and wood glue for reinforcement.
i put some supports in the walls, and rested the frame on them, that way i didnt need any legs for it.

then i built a wooden support for the pots, so that ill be able to easily put something under them to get water runoff, and for flushing. i bought cheap little metal barbque screens to put on the wooden frame so that the pots could sit on those, and still have the water run through.

heres some pics:
IMG_28987.JPG
IMG_28976.JPG

Thanks for the scrog and platform detail! I'll def be designing from that . I'm sure most would say look at new growth before spotty old leaves. On PH though, say root PH runs higher than 7.0 you plan to water with.. P uptake stops at 7 and you're flowering. maybe water at 6.5? Better than 7 in any case prolly. Thanks again for the scrog detail good luck and enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom