Please Help - Inline Fan/Carbon filter goes outside or inside of a grow tent?

eddysville

I have a grow tent setup, I figured out where the light, ballast, reflective hood, and everything else... but I dont know where to put the carbon filter+inline fan. do I put it inside of my grow tent with a duct leading to the outside of my tent or do I put the carbon filter+inline fan outside with ducting leading to the inside of my tent.. I am so confused right now :/

There are many ways you can set it up. The best way to run a carbon filer (in my opinion) is to suck the air through the filter. You can mount the filter in the tent and mount the fan outside the tent and have it suck the air out through the filter (if you are short on space). But, if you have room in your tent, you can mount the filter directly onto the fan. I suck the air through my filter, then blow that air through my cool tube and out the side of my grow box. I run it this way because any leaks allowing air to escape would just let filtered air out through leaks. Hope that helps. Here's what mine looks like ...........

vent_lighting.jpg

OH OK... so let me see if I have this right... The filter is INSIDE the grow area, the fan (thats attached to the filter) sucks the air out,(odorless air) through the ducts, throwing the air outside the tent? apologies 4 such a noob question

You can do either, or, it really depends on your space.

If you don't have the space inside, then put it outside. If you have the space put it inside.

If you put it inside you can set it up like Mutt has in his picture. Carbon filter > fan > ducting > fixture

If hanging is an issue, set the carbon filter vertically (I usually do)

Or you can place it outside with the fan blowing into the carbon filter.

I see so it just depends on space whether inside or outside... Mutt you say if space is an issue "You can mount the filter in the tent and mount the fan outside the tent and have it suck the air out through the filter (if you are short on space)" & bones hey man seems like I see you every where lol... um you also say the same plus "you can place it outside with the fan blowing into the carbon filter." so thats Fixture>Fan(pulling)>Duct>filter right? but if you do that wouldnt that leak out a little odor between fixture & the fan putting the filter outside? between all the methods provided including vertically & horizontally, which is the most effective? or is it just preference?

It's mostly preference and what actually works for you. You can mount the fan outside the tent, suck the air out of the tent and push the air through the carbon filter which is also outside the tent. Not my preferred method. But, it would work as long as you seal everything really well. If you can get the ventilation you need and not have a bunch of smelly air leaking .... then you are good to go.

If you have an air cooled hood then you want the carbon filter inside and before the hood just like Muttt stated. The fan can by anywhere within the ducting it doesn't affect it with any significant loss in suction. So it can be Filter > Fan > Hood > Outside just like Muttt's setup, or Filter > Hood > Fan (the fan can be inside or out).
If your hood is not aircooled and will not be included in the exhaust then do whatever you want. As long as there's negative pressure in the tent then no smell will leak even if you leave vents on the bottom open.
Placement of the filter high near the roof is only to try and suck the hot air (hot air rises) instead of the colder air near the ground + to ensure that the exhaust and intake are far away from each other << this helps create better air exchange and circulation.

Hope this helps. :peacetwo: :passitleft:

funny you say that ismokes I was looking at that type of set up last week, filter>fan>duct>A/C reflector hood.. i never thought about eliminating the duct between the fan & the a/c hood that would save me from buying another duct thats genius. where would the new air come from? Oh and yes I will be getting the a/c hood, unless you guys tell me a/c reflector hoods are not the way to go... im just trying to figure out the best setup & increase yields.. I appreciate all your responses

AC reflectors are the way to go eddy. Most people don't get them because they're a little pricey $$. If that's no trouble then by all means buy yourself a nice air tight air cooled reflector. Get a nice size to fit your area. Just make sure the air is pulled through the filter first because you don't want dust and other stuff to get in your reflector. Having the carbon filter (with a prefilter sheet) before the reflector will make sure you're pulling clean air through it. Good luck with your setup eddy, I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for you and your grow. Air cooled reflectors will surprise you. I can place my plant 4-5 inches away from my 600W.

PS: I put ducts and clamps between everything to make sure it's all air tight. It would be pointless if the fan can suck any air from any source other than the carbon filter. Any leaks in the ventilation means air from the tent is escaping without being scrubbed = your place will smell like weed. So when I say Filter > Hood > Fan, I actually mean filter > duct > hood > duct > fan.
I have the fan sitting on top of my tent to avoid hanging it inside. So all I have inside is the carbon filter and the hood. On the outside I have the fan sitting right on the top vent. I'll take a picture if you don't get what I'm trying to say. Here's a couple of older pics I have I'm not sure if they show it clearly.
IMG_021819.JPG
IMG_021716.JPG

Thanks for all the ideas but since it doesn't matter I'm going to stand it outside my tent because I don't have lots of room to begin with so the extra room will come in handy.
Thanks , peace all, Sly57

Due to room in my tent I have my fan & filter on the outside with the 6" tubing going into the top cucking out and through filter, Seems to be working just fine.

no, all you need to do is stand filter, put in-line-fan into filter, then put ducting on other end of fan and run it to the top of tent and tie. I also have a speed control plugged into the fan to control the fan speed

Back
Top Bottom