Pragmatosis

420 Member

Does anyone know why this is happening to my 8 day old plants?

Background:
grew for 1 week in jiffy pot and transplanted earlier today (after giving vitamin B1) into 70:30 coco:perlite. I have been feeding tap water and yesterday they received the first dose of fertilizer (cal-mag, flora-micro, flora-grow, flora-bloom). The solution was very dilute with about 1ml of each per gallon water.

10x5ft growing tent with 2x 2000W LED lights (only have “Veg” mode on) set about 3ft above plants. Temp is 70ish at night and 80ish at day. Humidity is about 40-60%.

You have a 10ft x 5ft tent?

Not near enough light in there. I bet you will find that at max those lights probably only pull about 280w from the wall. So that’s the first real concern.

To properly light up that entire space you’re going to need 2 big units or 4 (maybe 5) half the big size.

Not near enough light in there. I bet you will find that at max those lights probably only pull about 280w from the wall. So that’s the first real concern.

To properly light up that entire space you’re going to need 2 big units or 4 (maybe 5) half the big size.

I do have a big tent but currently at this 8 day old stage of life I believe I have a sufficient light setup for the time being. I have 2 2000W LED lights turned on “veg mode”.

Thanks. I measured the height of it to be a little over 3feet away. They are 2000W lights. Do you think it should be higher than that?

Yes, move them up. You can move them down later but if you see twisted/distorted leaves again you're too close. They can also get a weird shiny look. They'll be fine and will continue to grow normally as soon as you move the lights up.

Temps seem too high, feed quarter strength with that line, it's the same nutes line I'm using in coco and ph your feed to 5.8.

Temps seem too high, feed quarter strength with that line, it's the same nutes line I'm using in coco and ph your feed to 5.8.

I agree with everything except the temp, the temp is fine in my opinion. I'd give her about a quarter of full strength or ec 0.8-0.9 (400-450 ppm) and never ever give straight water in coco.

What do you mean by feed quarter strength? Sorry im a complete noob. And what’s ec stand for?..... why is straight water in coco/perlite not good? Just curious and wanting to know all I can!

On the bottle it says how much you can give an adult plant. Give a quarter of that. But ideally you should know the EC of your straight water first.

EC is Electric Conductivity and measures how much minerals are in your nute mix by how well it transmits electricity.

Straight water fucks up the environment with living organsims in the coco.

Skip perlite next time in coco. Coco performs better without.

What do you mean by feed quarter strength? Sorry im a complete noob. And what’s ec stand for?..... why is straight water in coco/perlite not good? Just curious and wanting to know all I can!
There should be a feed schedule on the bottles that show you the ratios of feed during the different stages of the plants life, there's one for seedlings, mix their recommendations at quarter strength instead.
Coco has nothing beneficial to add to the plant like a living soil so you have to feed nutrients rather than plain water. You can use ec or not in coco, I never have, I just ph my feeds to 5.8 and feed daily to runoff because it flushes out the old nutes and draws oxygen down to the roots, coco is a drain to waste medium. Feed once or twice a day.

Thanks for the advice and info on my medium! What do you mean by “feed daily to runoff”? Would feeding daily at 8 day old potentially lead to overwatering?

Thanks for the advice and info on my medium! What do you mean by “feed daily to runoff”? Would feeding daily at 8 day old potentially lead to overwatering?
Not in coco, and you have perlite added in yours, that increases its ability to drain out, if you feed coco like soil you risk build up in the coco and locking out your nutrients. If you really want to see for yourself, let one dry out like soil, you'll see the plant droop, then feed it nutrients, it'll perk back up within half an hour.
Drain to waste means that you feed until it starts to run out the bottom of the pot, once 10-20% runs out you stop. That's drain to waste.

You can’t overwater in coco. Coco is hydro, even though it looks like dirt.

You have to feed daily, and over time you'll ramp that up to several times a day.

I’m not convinced on the light being too strong. 3ft away, half on, I’m not convinced.

If you're filling that tent, you're going to need a lot more light. $120 “2000watt” lights off amazon/ebay ain’t going to cut it in that space. Each of those lights might flower a 2x2, but that’s a out it.

I don’t want to sound all negative Nancy, but it needs your attention drastically or you’ll bust your grow. A 10x5 is capable of pulling 5lbs (maybe 6) pretty easy with the right setup. After genetics (and I mean good, strong seeds from good parent genes), the next most important aspect is light.

Even with decent, entry level lights you're going to have to shell out some cash. For example, with Mars Hydro you would need to spend about $1000 in lights. It goes up from there for better quality and efficiency.

I’m probably blowing hot air, as seems to typically be the case in these situations, but maybe one day someone actually listens and won’t have to bust a grow and give up altogether.

You can’t overwater in coco. Coco is hydro, even though it looks like dirt.

You have to feed daily, and over time you'll ramp that up to several times a day.

I’m not convinced on the light being too strong. 3ft away, half on, I’m not convinced.

If you're filling that tent, you're going to need a lot more light. $120 “2000watt” lights off amazon/ebay ain’t going to cut it in that space. Each of those lights might flower a 2x2, but that’s a out it.

I don’t want to sound all negative Nancy, but it needs your attention drastically or you’ll bust your grow. A 10x5 is capable of pulling 5lbs (maybe 6) pretty easy with the right setup. After genetics (and I mean good, strong seeds from good parent genes), the next most important aspect is light.

Even with decent, entry level lights you're going to have to shell out some cash. For example, with Mars Hydro you would need to spend about $1000 in lights. It goes up from there for better quality and efficiency.

I’m probably blowing hot air, as seems to typically be the case in these situations, but maybe one day someone actually listens and won’t have to bust a grow and give up altogether.
Thanks for the advice! So with my coco/perlite medium and young plants, I should feed them at minimum 1x daily to runoff at 1/4 strength nutes with pH 5.8ish?
I do plan to invest in more lights within the next 1-2 weeks. For now at this seedling stage of life, are my 2000W lights sufficient?

Lights in a room that size as @multiVortex stated is important, the actual footprint of those lights in flower will definitely be of utmost importance! Some plants won't be getting enough if any light. I have a 4' x 4' and use 2 lights because their actual footprint in flower is about 2' x 2', with one light in the tent there was a lot of dark spaces.

Lights in a room that size as @multiVortex stated is important, the actual footprint of those lights in flower will definitely be of utmost importance! Some plants won't be getting enough if any light. I have a 4' x 4' and use 2 lights because their actual footprint in flower is about 2' x 2', with one light in the tent there was a lot of dark spaces.
More lights will be ordered soon. Im inexperienced with using coco medium and am trying to determine whats the best watering method. What I said above sounds ok to you?

Back
Top Bottom