Please help with mothers in need of help NOW!

SONIC-D

Please help me with my mothers! I need help bad no one is replying in my journals and I need help now!

In plain old strait foward words how do a raise and maintain a mother?

Ok the rest is just fyi information it maybe a bit more than needed to know but it may be pertinent. My entire grow methods are from most poor man grow ideas I got from here so I use them as a poor woman’s grow.

I got the cloning thing down just fine but I don’t want to clone every time I grow from my plants, I want to do the mother plant thing. This time around I grew 13 clones all of them took real nice so 9 of them are for my growth cycle. I due 9 plants in each growth station to keep 9 plants a month ready to be picked. I left 4 of these clones to mother and I need the 4 mothers to give me the 9 clones a month I need to keep my cycle going. I hope they can due that using 2 plants at a time.

2 of these mothers are a type of kush and 2 are bubble gum as I was told. I keep them with my bag seed all the seeds were from really good stuff from a friend grows out doors in another state and sends me few bags once in a while. He only grows hi end stuff I usualy can't afford it or get anything around here that good so I kept the seeds. I don’t know for sure the strains I just know what I was told and remember the bud its self and how good it was. The rest of the bag seed is well known strains as well from him I just can't identify them yet.

How many clones can I pull off the mother until I have to replace her? I read some threads saying mothers last for ever I heard some say only 3 or 4 times. I want to keep them bushy so do I have to keep toping them and if so when and how do I top? Also I have 3, 5, and 8 gallon pots at my disposal I’m using soil so what size do u all recommend?

Right now for my vegetation set up I’m using soil and 400w metal halide on a 24/7 hr cycle for my entire vegetation area it houses the 4 mothers and the 2 clone trays. One clone tray is for the actual clones during rooting with rock wool cubes and a dome, the second tray is when I transplant them into plastic cups I put the cubes in soil for a few weeks I slit the bottom of the cups bottom water until ready.

I’m not sure but I may switch to florescent light instead of the 400w mh I’m not a big fan of CFL’s as u get more bang for the buck using regular old floros plus u can buy those specialty light bulbs for them. The only reason I’m using the mh is because it was free and I actually needed the heat from it to keep my area a bit warmer but summer is coming : )

Re: Pleas help with mothers in need of help NOW!

hello :)

I would use the bigger the bucket if you can for the mom. She should be bushier since she has the room for root growth. When you take the cutting only take the last couple nodes on the branch/ You need to keep some on the branch in order for it to regenerate.

Topping: Topping

I'd keep the MH. It will give you much better veg growth results

Thanks McBudz
I will read through that

I can never seem to find any thing when I search. And I will use the 8 gallons unless u think I need larger, and using those your right I will need to keep the mh to cover the space the 4 mothers in that size will take up some room. With those big pots maybe I should put drain rocks in the bottom I don’t usually bother in the rest of the pots but I will with the mothers since I will be using large pots. I take it they will last a bit since your telling me to use large pots. I was going to go with florescent because I wanted to cut my energy bill down it seems I went up about 75.00 a month for all this lighting. But you’re right I will need that light to cover the area plus the amount I’m paying for electricity I’m saving in product. Right now they clone under mh then veg for a few weeks in there after that the go to 12/12 still under mh so I get more veg out of them for a bit longer even under 12/12, it seems I really need to add a hps I will get one in a few weeks that should help with flowering.

But thanks I will read up and get those mothers going good hopefully it explains every thing but when u say keep some of the branch to allow for regeneration what do u mean leave about an inch or so left when u cut the shoot off? I will probably know more and be able to make all these and more decisions after reading up on that thread.

Don't keep any mothers for cloning. Once a plant reaches a certain age it loses it's quality and potency. Some my disagree but I've done A LOT of research and talked to a few local growers that have been in the game for over 20 years and that's what they advise me. Flourescents are ok for the veg stage. What I would do if I where you is add the the flourescents to the veg stage with the MH than get a HPS for flowering.

I don't doubt your research or that of others I just find this to not be logical. Think about where you take the cuttings from? The newer growth at the end of the branch... Newer growth. The cells in the cutting are a lot younger then the rest of the plant if you want to argue age. Similar to taking cuttings from cuttings from cuttings... You are clone with growth that essentially only a couple of weeks old. The cells in the cutting are very young regardless of how old the mom is. Same as cuttings from cuttings. Some may argue that the "dna age" affects this and the older the dna is the more likely you will experience some spontaneous mutation or degradation. I haven't actually seen this happen so hopefully my experiment will help confirm or disprove that notion.

Don't keep any mothers for cloning. Once a plant reaches a certain age it loses it's quality and potency. Some my disagree but I've done A LOT of research and talked to a few local growers that have been in the game for over 20 years and that's what they advise me. Flourescents are ok for the veg stage. What I would do if I where you is add the the flourescents to the veg stage with the MH than get a HPS for flowering.

Say a branch has something like 5 nodes on it. Going outward away from the plant I would leave at least 2 nodes maybe 3 and make the cut after the 2nd or third node leaving you with 2 or 3 nodes that will branch out more and create more nodes for more cuttings later. If you do not leave a node on the branch that branch will no longer grow and the mom will produce that much less cuttings for you.

Not sure if you need drain rocks as long as you use a good soil that drains well enough on its own.

Thanks McBudz
I will read through that

I can never seem to find any thing when I search. And I will use the 8 gallons unless u think I need larger, and using those your right I will need to keep the mh to cover the space the 4 mothers in that size will take up some room. With those big pots maybe I should put drain rocks in the bottom I don't usually bother in the rest of the pots but I will with the mothers since I will be using large pots. I take it they will last a bit since your telling me to use large pots. I was going to go with florescent because I wanted to cut my energy bill down it seems I went up about 75.00 a month for all this lighting. But you're right I will need that light to cover the area plus the amount I'm paying for electricity I'm saving in product. Right now they clone under mh then veg for a few weeks in there after that the go to 12/12 still under mh so I get more veg out of them for a bit longer even under 12/12, it seems I really need to add a hps I will get one in a few weeks that should help with flowering.

But thanks I will read up and get those mothers going good hopefully it explains every thing but when u say keep some of the branch to allow for regeneration what do u mean leave about an inch or so left when u cut the shoot off? I will probably know more and be able to make all these and more decisions after reading up on that thread.

So isn't there some clone only strains out there that don't seem to be losing potency, one for example might be the OG Kush... I would think if it was affected that you would notice it and be able to just flower that momma out and get a new one. I would keep the mommas and fresh cuttings under the flouro's and use the MH for a separate veg chamber. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.. :peace:

I don't doubt your research or that of others I just find this to not be logical. Think about where you take the cuttings from? The newer growth at the end of the branch... Newer growth. The cells in the cutting are a lot younger then the rest of the plant if you want to argue age. Similar to taking cuttings from cuttings from cuttings... You are clone with growth that essentially only a couple of weeks old. The cells in the cutting are very young regardless of how old the mom is. Same as cuttings from cuttings. Some may argue that the "dna age" affects this and the older the dna is the more likely you will experience some spontaneous mutation or degradation. I haven't actually seen this happen so hopefully my experiment will help confirm or disprove that notion.
Are you saying that a cutting from a plant that is for example 5yrs old isn't any different science wise as a cutting from a 1 month old plant? I personally have the slightest idea and personally don't know what so ever. I think of it like a human, if I where to take a heart transplant I wouldn't want it from a old person. Laugh Out Loud! But thats what makes sense to me. And I just find it hard to believe that a plant will maintain its qualities over time. Just my thoughts.

I don't think you can really compare plants to humans. No offense. ;-) However, cannabis was meant to only be an annual. Which means it should only really survive through one cycle of veg and flowering. Mothers are under artificial light, so they never have to go through the flowering process. Which means they can survive for more than 1 year. I would wonder if this has any effect.

So isn't there some clone only strains out there that don't seem to be losing potency, one for example might be the OG Kush... I would think if it was affected that you would notice it and be able to just flower that momma out and get a new one. I would keep the mommas and fresh cuttings under the flouro's and use the MH for a separate veg chamber. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.. :peace:
A grower I know has 2 strains that he's kept alive and well for a long time. 1 strain is a afgan hash plant that he's had for over 20 years and the other is a skunk that he's had for over 15 years. He keeps NO mother plants whatsoever. So their is strains out there, just got to know the right people.

I don't think you can really compare plants to humans. No offense. ;-) However, cannabis was meant to only be an annual. Which means it should only really survive through one cycle of veg and flowering. Mothers are under artificial light, so they never have to go through the flowering process. Which means they can survive for more than 1 year. I would wonder if this has any effect.
I wasn't really trying to compare the 2. I was merely giving a example that I think helps me try to understand all this. No offense taken. It just makes sense to me. And if a grower with 20+ years of experience is telling me this I don't take it as a grain of salt. I don't mean to come off rude if it seams that way.

All my clones are taken from the next generating plants. I.e... I take cuttings from the clones already growing, so each time, they have a new mother so to speak. This way also has brought out the individual characteristics of the plants overall heritage.

All my clones are taken from the next generating plants. I.e... I take cuttings from the clones already growing, so each time, they have a new mother so to speak. This way also has brought out the individual characteristics of the plants overall heritage.
So I wasn't ill informed?!!!!! Thats reassuring to hear. Thanks Cherma

This is how I am currently doing it as well. I take the clones about 3 weeks into flower and right around the time those plants are ready for harvest the clones are ready for flower. This way there is no maintenance of a mother. This actually helps on space, lighting and nutrients since you are not spending resources on the mom. taking a flowering clone gives you extra time since the clone has to revert back to veg. I use this to my advantage. You tend to get more branches/bushier growth from a flowering clone as well.

Are there negative effects for cloning clone after clone? I'm pretty sure this has been debated here. ;-)

Hit me up in a year or 2 and I'll let you know if Big Stinky's descendants still bring me to my special happy place ;)

You have to make sure to get clones from the healthiest plants too. That will insure the strain stays strong.

Back
Top Bottom