Please read - Give Advice and Make Recommendations please

Surf420This

Strain - Seeds: Indica: 1xFem White Widow, 2xFem Incredible Bulk, 1xFem Pineapple Chink, 1xFem Tai
Clone: Indica: 1xGreen Crack
# of Plants - 6
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 5 Gallon
Lights - Started under 2 2ft T5s for first 2 weeks, now under 600w MH for Veg with Airoflo Aircooled Hood Reflector, will switch to 600w HPS for Flower
Nutrients - Roots Organic Grow (only the clone has gotten)
Medium - Roots Organic Original
PPM - Got a meter from a friend, not sure how to use it or even what it is...im new lol
PH - 6.5
RH - 30% to 44%
Room Temperature -Day (75-85 degrees) - Night (65-75degrees)
Room Square Footage - 4'x4'x7'
Pests - None Known

Problem: Not really a problem but more as curiosity. Would just like some input on my grow. Trying to fine tune a little bit, maybe prevent bad things from happening in the near future with the help of more experienced growers than myself. Topped and trimmed the clone 1 time and currently have 3 branches tied down ,Please criticize, compliment, advise, etc....just looking for insight. Thanks
:Namaste::volcano-smiley:
20150212_125007.jpg
20150305_143146.jpg
20150306_210424.jpg
20150305_143158.jpg
20150306_210428.jpg
20150306_210434.jpg

Roll up another one,
Smoke it,
Don't worry, be happy.
Sounds to me like you got it going on.
I am and old man with bad vision. I can not tell much from your picks. I how one suggestion try FIM ing instead of topping. Lots of good how to's in the forums. Instead of cutting or pinching the tops off. Move up just a fraction of an inch and pinch to top between your fingers. Don't pinch the top off just squeeze it hard and leave it there. You should get four new tops, instead of two with topping. It is less stressful on the plant, more of a low stress training technic

Thanks Kotter, yeah sorry about the thumbnails, I reposted with larger pics lol Thanks for the suggestion. Ill read about FIM ing in the forums and try it out. Seems easy enough. Heard nothing but good things about it, just haven't actually attempted it myself. I appreciate the input

I don't know what was going on but the big picture just popped up. Looks real good. Making second post because I forgot something. Get the humidity a little higher 50%. The 36 to 44 would be good if you were in the later stages of flowering.
I really like your little room. It is set-up just like everything I have read, says it should be. I wish I had it and you had a feather, lol
Just kid'in

You have 7' of headroom, minus the pots and light, you're looking at approximately 5' total, then subtract the 18" distance between the light and plants, and you'll have a maximum plant height of somewhere around 3-3.5'

Now with one plant being more mature than the others, your timing in LST will be important to keep the canopies of all 6 plants at an even height.

In the future, I would personally limit my grow in this space to 4 plants, and focus on growing them to fill the space.

The light output from the 600w HPS for this size tent will also be a little low, at 37.5 watts per square foot. You want to aim closer to 50w/ square foot. A 1000w HPS would get you around 62.5w/ square ft.

You can complete the grow without issues with the light you have (although total yield may be reduced), but there's room to add more lighting. Some fluorescent panels, or LED panels would make great low heat additions to your lighting system.

How much heat is that light generating? I'd move the light closer to the tops of the plants. Put your hand under the light and at the point where it doesn't burn your hand, THAT is where the plant tops should be.

How much heat is that light generating? I'd move the light closer to the tops of the plants. Put your hand under the light and at the point where it doesn't burn your hand, THAT is where the plant tops should be.

Not exactly brother... With these strong HID lights, you have to watch 2 things, the temperature,, like you said, but also the intensity. He's using a cool tube so he won't feel the heat as much, if at all, and neither will his plants, but there's still a sweet spot for the distance between the plants and lights.

The same thing goes for LEDs. Now they don't emit the same heat like MH and HPS, but they still can be too intense for the plant if a minimum distance isn't kept.

Here's a cool chart I found here showing distances for HPS bulbs and various wattages.
HPS_chart6.jpg

Thanks Antics, I took your advice and the little ones seem to be thriving. I didn't realize how much 10-15% made that much of a difference. Good looking out.

GreenCaper, I completely understand what your saying. I have them that high up only for the fact that I had them under t5s for 2 weeks first and in that picture was only the first day in my Veg tent under the 600w MH bulb. I was planning on gradually dropping my lights to a more respectable distance once the girls got used to their new environment.

Antics, That a sweet chart. Good find. Im sure its a little different for an MH bulb but very close nonetheless, am I safe to assume that? I can only start to feel heat from the light about 3-4 inches away. obviously I wont put them that close. I was wondering if being too close would hurt the plant. according to the chart, there are optimum levels, so ill give that a shot. Thanks man!

Antics, Is it normal for my plant to be wilting the day after I top it? not sure if I even did it right, at first I just pulled off what I thought was the top, then read some more and seen a lot of people actually just snip right below the growth on the main stalk. so I ended up snipping it between 5th and 6th node. Thanks

You have 7' of headroom, minus the pots and light, you're looking at approximately 5' total, then subtract the 18" distance between the light and plants, and you'll have a maximum plant height of somewhere around 3-3.5'

Now with one plant being more mature than the others, your timing in LST will be important to keep the canopies of all 6 plants at an even height.

In the future, I would personally limit my grow in this space to 4 plants, and focus on growing them to fill the space.

The light output from the 600w HPS for this size tent will also be a little low, at 37.5 watts per square foot. You want to aim closer to 50w/ square foot. A 1000w HPS would get you around 62.5w/ square ft.

You can complete the grow without issues with the light you have (although total yield may be reduced), but there's room to add more lighting. Some fluorescent panels, or LED panels would make great low heat additions to your lighting system.

I use that exact same tent and have 5 mature plats in there right now and it could easily hold more. Don't limit yourself to 4 plants, you're wasting space. Don't be stupid and try to fit enormous growing strains, but you fine with 6-9 30" flowering plants.

Back
Top Bottom