Please suggest a minimum amount of light to keep a mother from flowering?

Re: Please suggest MINIMUM light to keep a mother from flowering?

That's called the Gas Lantern Routine and I've used it for vegging for every grow I've done. If you're interested, you can find more information regarding GLR below in my signature. Note to the OP, it is not to be used to keep a mother from flowering in fact it does just the opposite, it vegetates a plant until it naturally reaches sexual maturity using the least amount of time and resources.

That's called the Gas Lantern Routine and I've used it for vegging for every grow I've done. If you're interested, you can find more information regarding GLR below in my signature. Note to the OP, it is not to be used to keep a mother from flowering in fact it does just the opposite, it vegetates a plant until it naturally reaches sexual maturity using the least amount of time and resources.

Oh so the plant won't stay in veg under this routine?

Interesting. Thanks for that! Guess I was giving bad advice . sorry man.

You can grow out mothers with less than 16 hours of light. I personally have my mothers on the GLR just to save energy. They will tend to get slightly leggy under less light, but we want clones a little longer than 2 inches anyway right? The secret to getting fast rooting clones is to flush the mother with fresh dechlorinated water for 3 days then 2 days of straight RO water before taking the cutting. This causes the cutting to seek out nutrients and thus shoot roots out.

Stumped, you were correct. Any non-auto plant will stay in veg as long as it is not getting 12 full hours of darkness. The GLR simply helps the plant to cross into flower much faster because it is getting a long night cycle. That cycle is interrupted by the 1 hour in the night so it doesn't completely cross into flower but many of the hormones remain in the plant.

Hosebomber,

My experience with GLR is that after 8 weeks or so the plants reach sexual maturity and start flowering, male and female, I just thought that they would continue to flower, albiet slowly, under GLR. What happens if you continue GLR with sexually mature plants, do they stop producing pistils then or what?

I love the answers and enjoy the new information, but I'm not getting my question answered.

Let me try again.

I could keep all my mothers in the veg area, and I mostly will, but one person in the house really wants a cannabis plant in the bedroom.

I'm all for having a big plant in the bedroom, but if she is going to be up there for months I don't want her going into flower.

Night time lighting will be required to "time stretch" the sunlight hours coming in the windows.

I imagine a two foot long bank of four t5 cfl lights at 24 Watts each would keep a mother happy in the dark hours,
96 Watts of cfl is hardly a night light for sleeping.

So whaf is the lowest energy light bulb I can get away with to "time stretch" daylight?

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom