Plugger's Hydro #01

plugger

First grow in 35+ years, first hydro ever.

What strain is it? cks blueberry regular
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 75% Indica, Original Blueberry
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? veg
If in Veg... For how long? 2nd day
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? hydro
If soil... what is in your mix?
If soil... What size pot?
Size of light? 600w(108w) led
Is it aircooled? air
Temp of Room/cab? 70 F
RH of Room/cab? 56%
PH of media or res? 5.8
Any Pests ? hope not ;)
How often are you watering? Hydro
Type and strength of ferts used? General Hydroponics Flora Trio Nutrients suppliments CaliMagic, Hydroguard

tent is 3' x 3' x 72"

Here is my first seedling in 35+ years ;) blueberry b1

In reality this is day 17 of the grow had some issues to start with related to germination, initial hydro setup that caused some issues and slowed me down. So to summarize on 01/18/2019
- I initally loaded the res with week 1 nutes, 1/4 micro, 1/4 grow, 1/4 bloom, calimagic, hydroguard
- I decided to soak the 3 seed for several hours turned out to be 3 hours in res water to activate
- then put them directly in to rr's(rapid rooters) and placed them in the running dwc(Deep Water Culture?) to germinate.

While doing more reading I started to think I had really messed up. So when nothing had happened by 01/21/2019 I was just going crazy with doubt so I pulled the 3 rr's and cut each one open.

blueberry b1 kinda looked like it was popping but I was unsure
blueberry b2 was swelled but otherwise nothing
blueberry b3 was swelled but otherwise nothing

Figuring that I ruined these 3 seed I decided to try and save them
So I put all 3 in paper towels soaked with res water with the excess poured off. Then in to my germination dome with the heating pad on.

And read more ;)

So observations, I should not have
- abandoned soaking for 12-24 then using the paper towel process
- then once spouted I should have placed them in slit rr's(rapid rooters that had been soaked with res water, squeezed out
and clipped shut with tooth picks
- then put the rr's in to the dwc

So after 12 hours blueberry b1 was popped and had the tap root peeking out 1/8" or so. But blueberry b2 and blueberry b3
were doing nothing. So then followed my observations above and prepped blueberry b1 in an rr and put it back in to the dwc.

Decided to leave the nutes at the week 1, 1/4 each level.

To make a long story short the original 2nd and 3rd blueberry seeds I tried to germinate in the rr/dwc never did pop in the paper towels.

On 01/24/2019 I could see what I thought was blueberry b1 pushing out of the rr. So I took 2 new blueberry seed and put them in to soak in res water like I should have the first time.

On 01/25/2019 blueberry b1 poked it head out of the rr and that is the picture above. So blueberry b1 took from 01/23 -
01/25 to pop out of the rr once it popped and showed a tap root.

01/25/2019 The new blueberry b2 and blueberry b3 both we cracking open so I moved them to the paper towels.

01/26/2019 Both blueberry b2 and blueberry b3 were showing 1/8" of tap root so I followed my rr' process above and
moved them in to the dwc.

01/28/2019 Both blueberry b2 and blueberry b3 popped their heads out of the rr's. But they were both helmet heads ;(
I was able to get the seed cover off of blueberry b3 but there was also a membrane which I was also able to remove.
Note I used AngryBird advice drops of water give it a bit and use 2 tooth picks
Blueberry b2 had a tight seed cover and even with water drops it would not move. So I decided to let things be.

01/29/2019 I was able to get the seed cover off blueberry b2, but the membrane was just stuck so I let it be.
Blueberry b1 and blueberry b3 are looking good.

OK decided to get more pictures resized will add things in the next post

Pictures from 01/30/2019
added 2nd led 600w(108w) and a utility light

here are the 3 seedlings
blue b1

blue b2 stuck

blue b2 freed

blue b3

res pic 20190130

On 02/02/2019 I did a res change and used nutes from week 2 veg,
OK pictures from 20/02/2019
blue b1

blue b2

blue b3

res pic 20190202

Also on 01/30/2019 I took 1.5G out of the res, that moved the water level from just inside the pots to 1 1/2" below the pots.
I wanted to encourage root growth.

On 01/31 journal entry
-----
01/31 @ 2340 Could not resist checking on the 3 seedlings in the dwc. And here is what I found when I popped the res
open.
blue b1 - 1 1/4-1 1/2"+ tap root showing in dwc
blue b2 - 3/4-1" tap root showing in dwc
blue b3 - 1/4" tap root showing in dwc
was minutes before lights out so just shut the res and tent up for the night

OK that catches us up. peeked in to the tent today 02/03/2019 and everyone looks fine ;) so the new nutes seem good
Was running the 2 leds with just the veg lights turned the bloom lights on also because I came across a post saying run
both veg and bloom all the time.

Also ordered a 3rd light a led 1200w(305w) so I should have a total of 521w from the wall for flower. Should have it
Wednesday.

Will add updated pictures later today or tomorrow.

I am building a ScrOG screen 30" x 30" for my 3' x 3' tent. I also am building inTheShed's cloninator since I am wondering
if I can try to clone the 3 tops I hope to take when I prep for the ScrOG. Time will tell.

Upon reflection, there won't be much happening until the seedlings grow some more nodes and I get close to first topping between 4 and 5.

Had a dream last night that all 3 of my seedlings turned out to be males ;) lol

-----
02/03 @ 1344 Checked on the seedlings, All 3 look good and are working on their 2nd set of real leaves. They seem
to like the week 2 nutes ;) I also turned on the bloom light in addition to the veg on both lights. Some say use both

Tent 70.5 F @ 58%, res 69.7 F, will check res PH later since I just did a res change yesterday and PH was fine in the
mid to high 5's

-----
02/03 @ 2011
All 3 blues b1-b3 are growing well and working on their second set of leaves
Tent 75.4 F @ 51%, res 72.5 F, PH using strips looked high 6.5-7.0, so used ph meter and PH was 7.0
When I adjust the res PH I pump 2 gallons or so in to a bucket add the total PH adjustment to the bucket then
pump it back in to the res.

-----
02/03 @ 2031
Added 15ml of ph down, PH using strips approx 5.5-5.8, (6.5G x 2) + 3ml(1/2 res) = 15ml

-----
02/04 @ 1140
Tent 75.4 F @ 51%, res 72.6 F, PH looks to be between 5 and 6 used strips as a quick check
Growth can only be described as looking very good, specifically blue b2 and blue b3 ;)
2 of the 4 pictures from yesterday were very fuzzy and I am waiting for more growth so decided not to post them.
But with the new growth with the week 2 veg nutes I will try and get good pictures soon just to give
noobs like me something to compare to.

blue b1 is a 10 day old today 02/04/2019
blue b2 is a 6 day old today 02/04/2019
blue b3 is a 6 day old today 02/04/2019

from the day I saw the 1st set of real leaves. My seedlings look behind others I have seen here on 420
size, quality and specifically node wise.

What is the saying, things always look greener on the other side of the fence/road/other peoples grows? ;)

02/04 @ 1756 blue b1 great growth, blue b2 and blue b3 very good growth impressed with the growth after veg & bloom
light change and week 2 nutes. All 3 seedlings are working on their 2nd set of real leaves.
week 2 nutes: 1/2 tsp micro, 1/2 tsp grow, 1/2 tsp bloom, calimagic and hydroguard

Tent 74.8 F @ 51%, res 74.0 F, PH with meter 5.9

New pictures and checked seedlings they looked good, growing faster it seems, some leaf curling, maybe PH so
checked that out. Strips showed approx 6.2-6.3+ maybe so checked with PH meter. PH was 6.1

So I treated the res (6.5G) with 7ml of PH Down.

Pictures 02/05/2019, blue b1, blue b2, blue b3, environment, tent (lowered the lights from 24" to approx 20" covered the 3 unused pots)

02/06 @ 1945 blue b1 maybe working on it's 3rd set of leaves maybe starting it's 4th ;) blue b2 and blue b3 are working on their 2nd set of leaves. All 3 seedlings looking good. Took 0.5G out of the res to lower the water level under the pots more. approx 1 1/2+ now. Res water level dropped about 1/4" in 4 days.

Tent 76.5 F @ 30%, res 75.7 F, Checked PH with strips approx 5.5-5.9 I'm thinking 5.6-5.7

02/06 @ 2130
Added a 3rd led 1200w(305w) will need to get the exhaust and Intake ventilation added now final parts should be here tomorrow. Dropped the lights from approx 21" to 18" Left tent open since I added the 3rd light and don't have the ventilation in yet.

02/07 @ 1545
3 Seedlings look great blue b1 is working on it's 4th set of leaves, blue b2 and blue b3 are working on their 3rd set of leaves now. To me the older leaves look dry. Maybe due to the higher heat and low humidity. I may have some problems coming up here.

Tent 80.1 F @ 29%, res 75.8 F I left the tent open last night and closed the heating vent. Final ducting for the exhaust and intake ventilation is here. Will start putting it in now.

02/07 @ 1700 Filter ducting and exhaust fan in and running on low.

Tent 69.8 F 50%, res 72.8 with the lights off for 1 hour+ room door open and hall humidifier running at 40% target. May move the hall humidifier in to the grow room. It should be able to keep the room thus the tent where I want it humidity wise.

Added a bowl of water in the tent thinking that might help keep the humidity up.

need to add intake fan and ducting before I shut the tent back up and check things out. I will get some picture when I do the intake ducting.

Wow I must say, I completely under estimated ventilation benifits and fans circulating the air. My exhaust filter, ducting and fan is 4" for my 3'x3'x72" tent. That is a mistake I will not make again. I just stuck my head in the grow room. The tent is open but the temp was 73.9 F. with all 3 light on veg and bloom switches on. Humidity was holding in the high 30's

But is has only been an hour ;) With the exhaust and additional fans running.

Need to get the intake ducting and fan in and close up the tent and see where things run @.

OK, I don't think my issues are heat, maybe humidity but have that up in to the high 30's. So i checked the PH and it was 5.7 from what I have read that leads me to the nutes. I am using week 2 veg (week 1 of veg), 1/2tsp micro, 1/2tsp grow, 1/2tsp bloom per gallon.
So I have decided to change the res. and go back to week 1 nutes 1/4tsp micro, 1/4tsp grow, 1/4tsp bloom per gallon

So 02/08 @ 0014 I have finished the res change. Also shifted the lights by 2 hours since they have been off for 2 hours plus I want to get things shifted so they are on at night when the temps drop and off during the day when temps are higher.

Here are before res change pictures seedlings are green and showing no discolorations. They just have leaf curl and seem dryer that they should be. Otherwise they are growing well.
these are 20190207 pictures
blue b1 is working on it's 4th node.
blue b2 is working on it's 3rd node
blue b3 is working on it's 3rd node
res pic 20190207

I guess the best word to describe my concerns are the seedlings blue b1 and blue b2 have leaf curl and all 3 seem dryer/crispy but when you touch them they don't break or anything they just seem dry not moist. They are growing but not like some here.
blue b1 was a 13 day old on 02/07/2019
blue b2 was a 9 day old on 02/07/2019
blue b3 was a 9 day old on 02/07/2019

Even if I can get my mistakes from seedling start straightened out I am starting to accept the fact that I may need extra time in veg. Darn ;( more time before things get fun ;)

Was sitting here pondering things. I wonder if I am hitting these seedlings with to much light. 521w from the wall, veg and bloom switches on. I may decide to at least shut the bloom lights off and maybe the new 305w 3rd led.

OK got up today and shut the new 3rd led down, and shut off the bloom lights on the 1st 2 leds. So just 2 leds running with the veg switch on. Lets see if the watered down nutes, better humidity control and less light helps the seedlings.

Updated
02/08 @ 1550 checked on things and the 3 seedlings seem to be perking up. So I decided to turn the 3rd leds veg light on.
so all 3 leds are running in veg mode.

Nutes are close to 1/4tsp of micro, grow and bloom per gallon, using General Hydroponics Flora Trio. Thinking about how to get back to veg nutes 1/2tsp of micro, grow and bloom per gallon

Thanks ;)

I am going to turn off my top-fed water pump. My roots are in the res, time for root development ;) Let things dry up maybe ;) I am in to the grow far enough I think.

Wow... you have alot to read though here.
Couple things I notice right away.
This will be alot of info, I will try to get it all.
To germ the seeds. You can use the paper towel method, its works well. I have had great success putting the seed directly in a peat puck (or rapid rooter). I use RO water so I Soak RR in water with mykos and a root excellerator, PH to 5.8, ring it out and leave it alone for 4 days and they will pop. No water till they are almost dry.
When you see the tap root stick out the bottom, put it in the DWC bucket with the water fat enough under the net pot so the RR is not getting soaked. (1"-1.5") probably. Using nutes right away is up to you, I think it's fine at 1/4 to 1/2 recommended dosage.
Another couple issues are the enviroment. You dont need so much light. One of those lights at 18-20" would suffice for right now. The temps should stay around 73°-76° with at least 50% humidity ideally. Your water temps need to be lower as well. 65-71° is good... too high invites bacteria.
Definately turn off top feed, no need for it at all really at all. Once the roots are out the bottom you should be ok without top feed but if you had to just do it by hand if the RR dries out.
Also are you using Z9 or Z7? If not you should.
Hope some of this info helps. Feel free to use what you want and ask if you have anymore.

Thanks CS21, I will shutdown some lights until later they are at 18" atm. Also I was using Hydroguard can you use Hydroguard and z7 or z9 together? was thinking about ordering some z7 just in case ;) so I will go ahead and do that.
Yes, humidity I have had low humidity issues, I am working on getting the humidity up to 50%. And hoping that is related to my seedling condition issues.

Thanks again CS21

Back
Top Bottom