Plushberry Clones In Soil

Kriaze

Hello and thanks for dropping in on my second grow journal. For this grow I will be using some Plushberry clones that I saved from death for a friend, he didn't have the room for them and was keeping them alive in a shoe box under one incandescent light bulb. They were tiny when I got them but unfortunately due to concentrating on my first grow of LSD which nearly failed I didn't really give them too much attention and I'll have to see if I have any older photographs of when they were babies, if I do I will post them up for a touch of nostalgia.

This time I'm using much bigger pots, and it's a good thing too as the LSD plants went well over time on their flowering and as it is these Plushberry are huge in comparison. I'm not sure what the pot sizes are, but they're BIG :)

Nutrients I'm using are as follow:
Advanced Nutrients Micro, Grow and Bloom.
Sensi CalMag Xtra
Canna PK 13/14
Humbolt's Secret Golden Tree (very expensive but the plants seem to love this stuff, that makes me a fan).

Lighting used is as follows:
2 months veg under a 300w CFL followed by 6 weeks veg under 2x 96x3 Mars-Hydro Reflectors LED's in a 120cm x 120cm x200cm tent.
Flowering is under a Mars-Hydro 1600w Mars II LED in a 120cm x 120cm x 200cm tent.

After a bout of thrips and Spider Mites I have been using SMC Spidermite Control, spraying every 3rd day over a period of 2 weeks. This seems to have done the trick but to be on the safe side I have also dusted some diatomaceous earth on the soil and lower leaves. Hopefully I won't be suffering any other issues from those pests during this grow.

I have left one of the Plushberry plants in veg as (thank you GhettoGro) I will be attempting to clone a couple more Plushberry, grow another female LSD and also grow some regular Afghan Kush in the hopes of crossbreeding between the three. It should hopefully go well with the black bag trick that GhettoGro mentioned (again thanks GhettoGro, I see a +rep coming on :)) but if I get any issues you can be sure that I will post them here, and hopefully we can all share the trials and tribulations.

Anyway let's get onto some pics ;)

Here is my Plushberry clone that is still in veg, everything seems good although she does seem a little weaker than the other two ladies.
IMGP0054150605_1.jpg

IMGP0056150605_1.jpg

These are the plants that have moved into flower. They're much taller than I wanted but I'll have to hope they don't stretch too much. I'm considering either tying back or even just using the veg part of the LED for the first couple of weeks of flower. Also I have noticed some curling of the leaves on one plant, and some yellowing leaves on another. I'm not quite sure what to make of this and after reading around I thought it may be down to my only watering/feeding every three days. I'm now going to make that every 2 days (6 litres each using a water, feed, water, feed rotation).
IMGP0048150605_1.jpg

IMGP0051150605_1.jpg

IMGP0047150605_1.jpg

If anyone has any ideas regarding the curling or yellowing please feel free to offer some advice, it's always welcome.

With summer almost here me and the wife are also working on the outdoor garden and while I was out today picking up a wheelbarrow I noticed these on offer. 3 for £10 so couldn't really miss it. I'm eventually hoping to go fully organic (except I may well still use the Humboldt's) and in the meantime these looked like they may be a step in the right direction. I'm not sure if this stuff will be able to fully feed my plants through vegging and flowering but I'm keen to find out. It would save a lot of money spent on nutrients if that is the case, but it also may be too good to be true. Even if I can use this stuff just through the vegging phase that's still a couple of months of cheap nutrients, I'll be happy if it'll just cover that. Thoughts anyone?
IMGP0063150605.jpg

IMGP0064150605rs.jpg

I'll be keeping the journal updated and will be adding some videos for this one, please excuse the broad English accent, if you have any trouble understanding me I'll start using subtitles like the old black and white movied :) All the best everyone, and I hope that you will join me on this adventure into the land of green :thumb:

Hello and thanks for dropping in on my second grow journal.

These are the plants that have moved into flower. They're much taller than I wanted but I'll have to hope they don't stretch too much. I'm considering either tying back or even just using the veg part of the LED for the first couple of weeks of flower. Also I have noticed some curling of the leaves on one plant, and some yellowing leaves on another. I'm not quite sure what to make of this and after reading around I thought it may be down to my only watering/feeding every three days. I'm now going to make that every 2 days (6 litres each using a water, feed, water, feed rotation).

When I saw your plants I was saying "those look kind of tall" and then I see you commented on it :)

Not sure about the curling. I personally don't think it is your water/feeding schedule. Plants only need watered when they need watered. They will go limp if they are severely thirsty. It could be at heat issue maybe. Otherwise It is probably a PH issue.

Yellowing if it is lower isn't much of anything to worry about. Up top maybe be different depending on where and how much.

:peace:

Hey Scarfinger thanks for stopping by. Yeah the plants ran over their vegging time due to the LSD's taking forever to flower and then me having some repais done around the house. I'm not sure how I'll fix the height problem but that's a bridge I'll have to pass when I come to it. As for the curling I'm not sure it's a heat issue as it's been a pretty steady 24 degrees celcius to 26 degrees. Much better than what I was having under the HPS. The yellowing is in the middle to upper range of the plant. Not quite at the top but also nowhere near the bottom. You think this could be a major problem? If it helps I can take some more pictures and post them here, maybe at a further distance so the area of yellow leaves can be seen more cleanly.

All the best and thanks again :thumb:

Hello sir and let me commend you on your caring heart for saving those would be dead :bravo: its good to see you do another journal and im sure youll do fine this time. As for the yellowing, my plants do the same when I switch them to my mars 2 700 or 900. Its usually do to light shock. If you use a much lower wattage light for veg sometimes the plant just won't be able to handle it at first. It'll get used to it eventually but using the veg only spectrum or moving the light further would help. I'll be watching man!!

Hey arellanobrian and thanks for dropping in. The problem I have at the moment is that I can't move my light any higher up in the tent. I'll see how it pans out but these babies are huge now (in my eyes anyway lol), I'm having visions of tying back in the future :thumb:

Hey Scarfinger thanks for stopping by. Yeah the plants ran over their vegging time due to the LSD's taking forever to flower and then me having some repais done around the house. I'm not sure how I'll fix the height problem but that's a bridge I'll have to pass when I come to it. As for the curling I'm not sure it's a heat issue as it's been a pretty steady 24 degrees celcius to 26 degrees. Much better than what I was having under the HPS. The yellowing is in the middle to upper range of the plant. Not quite at the top but also nowhere near the bottom. You think this could be a major problem? If it helps I can take some more pictures and post them here, maybe at a further distance so the area of yellow leaves can be seen more cleanly.

All the best and thanks again :thumb:

Hello sir and let me commend you on your caring heart for saving those would be dead :bravo: its good to see you do another journal and im sure youll do fine this time. As for the yellowing, my plants do the same when I switch them to my mars 2 700 or 900. Its usually do to light shock. If you use a much lower wattage light for veg sometimes the plant just won't be able to handle it at first. It'll get used to it eventually but using the veg only spectrum or moving the light further would help. I'll be watching man!!

If you just switched to flowering you may see some yellowing slightly as they adjust. I would verify PH if you can and then... at most give them a 1/2 tsp of Epson salt per gallon of water. You could also throw in a foliar spray with the same water/nutes cut down to half strength.

Thanks for the ideas Scarfinger. I've not even been checking the PH for the past couple of months since starting these Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect range (chelated nutrients that can be absorbed at a wider PH range). It may be that the CaliMag etc may need a different PH. I'll check the PH at lights on tomorrow :thumb:

Thanks for the ideas Scarfinger. I've not even been checking the PH for the past couple of months since starting these Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect range (chelated nutrients that can be absorbed at a wider PH range). It may be that the CaliMag etc may need a different PH. I'll check the PH at lights on tomorrow :thumb:

I use Fox Farms trio and Cal/Mag mainly. At least with Fox Farms I need to keep an eye on the PH. It would be nice not to have to worry about PH. Maybe I should check into Advanced Nutrients one day.

id firstly check the ph , just to see, ive had plants went bit strange when they went to 12/12/ flower new growth looked odd but it straightened its self out , did you change your nutes as soon as you went 12/12 as its better to feed the grow nutes for about 3 weeks into flower then change after a little flush
with led you will need calmag
lastly the manure looks good , i would mix it through some multi purpose compost encase its a tad hot :)

Hey professor and glad you could drop in with your advice. I've not been checking the PH as apparently the AN nutes cover a wide range of PH's. What I have just realised though is that that may not apply to the CalMag or Humboldt's. Oh well, back to burning my hands off with PH down. As for the change of feed I followed the AN website calculator (plus the advice from their customer service that I emailed, excellent service BTW) I haven't changed anything as the feed regime is exactly the same throughvfeg and flower with the three bottles that I'm using. I have to say that I did find that strange, but their customer service assured me this was correct, I still don't get it.

Thanks for the advice re: the manure, I knew you would be the man to ask about that :) One thing though, do you think the manure will cover nutrients fully through veg, further into flowering or will I be using nutrients anyway?

Thanks for the input and much appreciated, all the best :thumb:

I'll work on those professor, I'm looking for a way to keep costs down. So far I think my smoke grow stands me at around..Well let's just say too much :O Much more than I was expecting, but much more fun too :)

Yes im interested in seeing how doing only compost teas throughout the entire grow would go

Well I'm mixing everything into this grow arellanobrian so you'll probably see a compost tea used here in the near future. If you don't want to wait though I'd suggest you check out Thenuttyprofessor's grows. He's a nutty nute guy and will show you things you'll have never even thought of. A full grow using baby milk springs to mind :)

Because I veg for so long and feed nutrients during that time I'll really need to look into organic, save myself a few quid and help save the Earth too. All the best ;)

I'll have to head over there!! I love new ideas! And can wait to see what you try man

Hey fellas and fellettes, just a quick update at the moment as there isn't much going on just yet. First of all this is the Plushberry clone that I will be trying to seed with the Afghan Kush once I've got them planted and grown for a couple of months. I'll be growing an LSD feminised seed too in the hopes that I can also crossbreed with that. Here's the vegging tent with the 2x 96x3w Reflectors, I like these reflectors, they don't kick out too much heat and the my plants seem to thrive under them:

IMGP0067150609.jpg

Now for some not so good news. Not only are my plants in the flower tent still having problems but the feeding of extra CalMag doesn't seem to be correcting the problems. I've read that it can take some time so I'm hopeful. One thing I'm really disappointed in though is this 1600w light. It doesn't seem to have the penetration that my HID bulb had, in fact I'm not sure it even has the penetration of the 96x3w Reflectors, faulty light maybe? If anyone has any advice for me on this that would be greatly appreciated. I've got some pics that may show what I mean, I've had to increase the exposure to bring some detail out of the darkness that is left when exposing so as I don't blow the highlights out at the top. Also the plants are in my opinion a little too close to the light, unfortunately due to the timing issues I mentioned in my previous posts they were vegged for longer than I wanted, what with me being afraid to try and attempt to train anything. I'll try all that when I'm happy with the quality and amount I have stored to smoke :) Here's some pics to hopefully show you what I mean:

Coverage pictures

IMGP0082150609.jpg
IMGP0078150609150609.jpg
IMGP0079150609.jpg

Distance from the lights at the top

IMGP0077150609rs.jpg
IMGP0076150609150609rs.jpg

As always I hope that you are all well and that your life is good and green. Would anyone recommend that I use supplemental lighting in the flower room? I would have thought that a 1600w would be more than ideal for a 4'x4'x6' tent. Thoughts please? All the best :thumb:

Ok, so my first thought with the cal/mag is that you need to ph your water to 6.2. I also gave mine a foliar spray with 1 ltr water and 1/2 tsp MagiCal. That seemed to help, but I believe raising my ph to 6.0 also helped (I'm in coco). You got to remember that the old growth with damage will most likely not repair itself, you need to focus on new growth to see if its helping.
Next: The 1600 may not have the penetration for 4' worth of flower, so I would recomend trying to spread the branches out or maybe even a good topping of the plants. I don't see flowers in the pics but if you are more than a week into 12/12 don't top! The best way I found is to take some screws and screw them into the rim of your pot and take some masons string and tie to the upper part of the branch and pull tight till the branches spread a bit, then next day spread them a bit more and so on to where they get light to all parts of the plant. Also, supercropping is a useful tool even in flower. You can bend those branches and place them where you want.
The penetration was a concern for me also that's why I decided to do a screen of green instead of growing tree style. Hps can handle it, but I'm pretty sure LED cannot. I need to go through your grow journal to find out exactly what's going on, but I wouldn't worry too much. Defoliate all the dead and damaged leaves and keep an eye on the new growth, they tell you if your calmag is working.
GB80

Ok :) jumping in as requested! !
Ok your plants are simply grown in the wrong manner l! I know that's sounds crap from me to you but it isn't meant as such. Simply put unless your running a high end LED with say 5 watt diodes or Osrams etc etc then your growing of tall close grouped girls means severe lack of light penetration.

Now I don't claim to know your light!! I'm sure their are plenty on here that swear by em! Yet the power for lanky girls ain't there by the looks of it! Growing with LED suits me as my growing style is horizontal anyhow! So tailor your style to fit your environment and lighting! :)

For this lot I'd lollipop the crap out of them and get rid of all that closed up lower foliage! Also lever the limbs out some if possible! Also defol in flower is fine in my opinion as I use it constantly! :)

Back
Top Bottom