Police Discover World's Most Expensive Marijuana

Police in Texas just made a remarkable discovery that could potentially turn the domestic marijuana industry upside down. Although a recent drug raid only turned up a single marijuana plant, officers determined that it is the most valuable marijuana ever reported. According to Sheriff Thomas Kerss, this type of marijuana has a street value of $6,000 per ounce!

That's some very impressive pot. According to the government's own data, collected by the National Drug Intelligence Center, high-grade marijuana prices top out at around $7,500 per pound in high-value markets. That's around $470 an ounce. Similarly, the marijuana magazine High Times estimates the average price of high-grade marijuana at $428 per ounce in August 2009.

As you can see, the marijuana just discovered in Texas is more than 12 times as valuable as anything currently on the market. Even the hippies at High Times have never heard of anything like this, but maybe that's because the police are doing such a good job keeping it off the streets.

Or maybe the police lied about how much it's worth. After finding only one little pot plant in a big dramatic drug raid, they wildly inflated the value of their drug seizure in order to make newspaper headlines. It's happened before, although this is by far the most laughably outrageous marijuana price ever claimed by police in the three years I've been documenting this behavior.

At $6,000 an ounce, that would mean one little joint costs $200. A dimebag would be invisible to the naked eye. It just doesn't make sense, which is why I refuse to believe it's an honest mistake when cops say stuff like this. Narcotics investigators buy drugs all the time so they can arrest people for selling to them. They know the market well and if their estimates come out all crazy, it's because they're trying to impress people with the fruits of their filthy labor.

But the stupidity doesn't end there. Lying about the value of marijuana rather obviously encourages people to grow it. If these guys really gave a damn about "winning" the war on drugs, they wouldn't be running around in the middle of an economic crisis telling people you can make thousands of dollars from a single marijuana plant. Nonsense like that could quickly blow up in your face.

Unless, of course, the people who get paid a good salary and benefits to bust marijuana growers actually want more people to do it. Say it ain't so.

Update: I just heard back from KRTE9 News and the online version of the story has been corrected to say $6,000 per pound, which makes a lot more sense. I'm told that "the DEA mistakenly told the sheriff 6,th an oz," which is pretty weird. That means multiple law enforcement agencies were involved in disseminating this number and no one noticed how absurd it was?

I'll take their word for it that someone just screwed up here, which is what a couple readers suggested to me as well. But please understand that this is hardly the first time I've encountered police claiming ridiculous marijuana prices that artificially inflated the value of their drug seizures. Whether it's done deliberately or not, this behavior serves to misinform the public and shouldn't be tolerated.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Stop The Drug War
Author: Scott Morgan
Copyright: 2009 Stop The Drug War

More likely is that they lied. Lets not kid ourselves.

The cops lie as much or more than the supposed criminals they chase. Their mantra is"the ends justify the means".

well u ever been to tx. i jus came back and theres some shity weed out there... i made ppl retarded off some ok shit i brought from calli, and it was crap to me// but could have sold it at 20 a G easy so there not kidding with all that 6 - 7 G's a P....

in my very short time hear hawkin news, i have read so many local town reports about folks gettin busted with a sack in there pocket, and wouldnt you know that they were usually found with the "high-grade".

what the hell, are they sending all this weed to the lab for analysis.

i think its another just another tactic by law enforcement, to put "high-grade" in the public mind, to make it sound dangerous.

sorry old dude i had some green from there and it made me wanna puke (not flushed,early,idk shitty strain) they called it popcorn was saposed to b the best n tx...
was n N/E tx. but u probly never been hear nor cal is #1 for weed its everywhere and more good than bad weed ..... and im spoiled i smoke like nothing but purps, train,desil u know the shit n have had a med card for 5 yrs and been growing longer than that....

Back
Top Bottom