Police: Oakland Man Killed By Officers Was Unarmed

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Oakland police said Friday the metal object held by an unarmed man when officers shot and killed him four days ago was an electronic scale.

Derrick Jones also had a small amount of marijuana in a glass jar in his pocket, said officer Jeff Thomason, a police spokesman.

But Jones' family attorney, John Burris, said Friday that those were not reasons to justify killing Jones on Monday night.

"I'm real surprised and a little suspicious," Burris said. "Why didn't they say something a few days ago?"

Jones, 37, a parolee, was fatally shot by two officers during a foot chase when two officers believed he had a weapon as he appeared to be reaching toward his waistband several times, police said.

One officer saw a metal object in Jones' hand before they opened fire, police said.

Police were responding to an apparent domestic dispute between Jones and a woman near his barbershop. The officers, whose names have not been released, have been put on standard paid leave.

The shooting remains under investigation.

Jones' shooting death has sparked accusations of excessive force by his family and friends.

"All I know is that Mr. Jones did not point any item at the police, did not put his hands in his waistband and he had no weapon," Burris said. "And the fact that he had marijuana, so what? None of that justifies being shot and killed."

On Thursday, about 100 people demonstrators marched from Jones' shop to an Oakland train station prompting its closure to passengers for a little more than an hour.

A similar protest is scheduled Friday afternoon.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: pe.com
Author: The Associated Press
Copyright: 2010 Enterprise Media
Contact: About Us | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California
Website: California PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

why isn't anyone saying , see i told you this mess is happening ? [ not on this site , but in the media .] what more proof do they need ?

Hey doncha ya know, in Kommiefornia, cops shoot first, ask questions later. hell, even if they already have you detained they might still shoot you in the back.

Probably just another unfortunate accident. Cop probably thought he had his baton, or his tazer, not his handgun. Honest mistake ya know,

What a shame. Condolences to the friends and family of Mr. Jones.

Cops need to be tried for murder. No excuse. Anyone that pulls out a gun and uses it on another human being (or animal) needs to always be held fully accountable. No blanket of immunity for cops. They chose that life.

Electronic scales are plastic,every set I've ever seen has been plastic cased.Doesn't matter a digital scale looks nothing like a gun.This is just another case of a trigger happy cop being too quick on the trigger.This is what happens when cops enforce stupid drug laws with the attitude that druggies are all gun packing lunatics.I wonder where they get that from?I have never seen a scale that resembled a gun in any way.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom