Police Officer Presents Different Take On Drug Prohibition

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
About 50 people attended a presentation last night to witness something relatively unheard of: someone involved in law enforcement advocating legalizing drugs.

Neill Franklin, who has been involved in various aspects of law enforcement for 33 years, spoke last night at a “Cop Says Legalize Drugs” presentation in the Stamp Student Union, advocating the legalization of all drugs — everything from her*oin to marijuana — which would effectively put an end to the war on drugs.

Franklin spoke on behalf of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition — an international non-profit organization that, according to its website, is made up of current and former members of law enforcement who support government drug regulation rather than prohibition.

In his presentation, Franklin said the goal of the war on drugs is to lower the incidence of death, disease, crime and addiction that results from substance abuse. He said his organization has the same goals, but thinks those ends should be reached by legalizing all drugs.

Irina Alexander, a junior criminology and criminal justice major and president of Students for Sensible Drug Policy, said Franklin provided a unique perspective on the issue of drug reform. She said she thinks Franklin is different because he is advocating legalizing drugs while still involved in law enforcement, whereas many other speakers from the organization are retired officers.

Alexander said when she passed out flyers for the event, some students did not believe a police officer was speaking in favor of legalizing drugs.

“I’ve been to previous events, but I’m very interested in what this guy has to say because this is the first time I’ve heard someone in law enforcement who wants to legalize drugs,” sophomore physics major Cyrus Fitch said.

Franklin’s law enforcement background seemed to be what drew the majority of students to the event.

“I wanted to hear what the police officer had to say, because it’s close to what I’m dealing with at home. I have a lot of family incarcerated because of drugs,” junior English language and literature major Kiara Somerville said. “I find it odd that a police officer is against putting people in jail for drugs, so I just wanted to hear what’s going on.”

“I love it,” sophomore chemical engineering and mathematics major David Royer added. “He’s definitely for the right cause and has the right mindset.”

The presentation ended with a question-and-answer session between Franklin and students in which students asked Franklin about his law enforcement background and tested the limits of his radical position.

One student asked Franklin how he deals with other law enforcement officials’ approach to the drug issue. Franklin said he simply expresses his opinion and they either get it or they don’t.

He said there is not much difference between him and other officers, other than the amount of research they do regarding drug legalization. He said all police want to do good things, but some are just “misinformed” or “misguided.”

The presentation was hosted by SSDP, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, the Black Student Union and Students for a Democratic Society.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: diamondbackonline.com
Author: Kara Estelle
Copyright: 2009 Diamond Back Online
Website: The Diamondback - Police officer presents different take on drug prohibition

It makes me proud to see someone heavily involved in the drug war to admit they are wrong. The government needs to listen to people like this and Norm Stampher from LEAP. I'm atleast glad to see that we getting ready in the next few years to have an open debate about this.

Back
Top Bottom