Police Seize 84 Pounds Of Marijuana

Warbux

Ark. - What began as a routine traffic stop turned out to be one of the biggest local drug busts in a long time.

About 84 pounds of marijuana were seized from a vehicle Tuesday along Interstate 540 in the West Fork area.

A canine officer discovered the drugs in the trunk of a vehicle traveling northbound on Interstate 540.

Sgt. Bill Phelan from Fayetteville police said, “The canine conducted an exterior search of the vehicle, a sniff is what we call it, and alerted on the vehicle.”

There were more than just drugs in the car.

“During the search we located 84 pounds of marijuana and two handguns,” Phelan said.

The two occupants of the car, Anthony Ray Smith and Jason Leon Butler, were both arrested.

“At this point they're being charged with possession with intent to deliver and simultaneous possession of drugs and firearms,” Phelan said.
Along with the drugs, police also seized several cell phones and a video camera. The drugs are being held at the Fayetteville Police Department and then will be shipped to the state crime lab in for processing.

“We've seen some busts with ten pounds here of there but this is one of the larger busts we've seen in a while,” Phelan said.

Police are continuing to investigate the two suspects to see if they are part of a larger drug trafficking operation.

News Hawk: Warbux 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: 4029 TV.com
Author: N/A
Contact: Fayetteville and Fort Smith News and Weather - Northwest Arkansas News - KHBS/KHOG Channel 40/29
Copyright: Copyright 2010 4029tv.com
Website: Police Seize 84 Pounds Of Marijuana - Local News Story - KHBS NW Arkansas

I'd be willing to place a small wager on the color of the gentlemen who were arrested and I'd even be willing to bet on the color of the cops.

Why wouldn't these guys hire some old white woman to drive the car? Seems silly not to take precautions.

Oh the cops were white no doubt. I've never seen a black officer in northern Arkansas. The dudes were probably black and driving it up from Ft Smith. The white kids like other forms of illegal substances in that town.

You know, NW Arkansas is sort of similar to Humboldt except for proximity to the ocean. I wonder how outdoor crops would fair?

Back
Top Bottom