POLL: Native Americans Growing Hemp: Sovereignty Collides With Government

Should Native American Nations Be Treated Differently Than Anyone Else?

• Yes. They are sovereign nations.

Votes: 82 57.7%
  • No.

Votes: 54 38.0%
  • Other - please explalin

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters
Actually we have treaties. Did you know that treaties are supposed to carry more weight than the constitution.

Sovereignty is the exclusive right to exercise supreme political (e.g. legislative, judicial, and/or executive) authority over a geographic region, group of people, or oneself. A sovereign is the supreme lawmaking authority, subject to no other. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty

The pipe was passed when the treaties were made (no such thing as a peace pipe, just the pipe).

We took everything from the native peoples here, and we continue to do so. Not only here but around the world.

My ethnic heritage is Cherokee/Blackfoot/European. I'm a decendant of John Coulter who was a member of the Lewis & Clark expedition. He married at least one native woman. I was active in the NDN community it Cali before moving to the midwest.These are issues that are very close to my heart. These are very complex issues and this isn't really the appropriate place for me to rant about them (i'd sure like to though). NDN's are like any other group of people with diverse opinions about everything. Many leave the rez, many stay. Some don't embrace their heritage at all. Some reservations are hell holes and some are doing well or at least on the path to doing well.To give up sovereignty for statehood I fear would weaken their situations. But who better to decide what is right for native peoples than native peoples. If changes are to be made I say let them begin with the U.S. honoring its treaties. After that happens perhaps changes could be considered. But how can the NDN nations trust a government that has done nothing to earn their trust? I know I don't trust the government to have my best interests at heart. Do you? The corporations that are controling things have their greedy eyes on ndn lands and reak havoc every chance they get. To give up sovereignty would only rob native peoples of the little protections they have now and make the corporations plans that much easier for them. Obama has said that if elected he would have a cabinet position for indian afffairs. He has also spoken about doing something about honoring past treaties. There is hope for the native peoples. Look what they have endured and are still here and growing stronger.

Obama '08'

I watched a documentary about the whole issue.The government waits till the crop is mature and then comes in and burns it.This is hemp,not marijuana.The DEA are criminals and the FBI has a history of attempted genocide against these people.:peace:

Ouch!You must have loved that little rant.I can't apologise for someone else but I do anyway.:peace:I see the posting has been removed and good on ya.Some people should require a license to open their minds in public.

You know what... been on the reservation many of times, plus I am married to one lol.. and I think they should be allowed to grow hemp on there land if they want to.. but I also think they shouldn't be treated any different from anyone else. The past is the past, they have there land and they can do what they want on there land... but law wise... I am unsure of..

I agree it's a great industry and much greener than most. I have been on some reservations and you can see the lack of work contributes to the high alcoholism rate and poor nutrition.

I was offered a bag of hemp seed being sold as a snack or a garnish.It was very tasty and had a very nutty flavor.I didn't notice the products origin but what harm can there be in growing any hemp product.As Native Americans are supposed to be sovereign on their lands I just can't get my head around the DEA's raids.I guess they really are the death & eradication army.

:cool:Bro's and chicklits I to for one am part Native American[Blackfoot] My Grandma used a pipe all of her life to none the wiser.As I aged and we talked I found out that granny was a Medicine WomaN [Shammen] The use of Cannabis was as natural as reaching for the black willow bark for a headache.It has been used in cerimonies as well as a medicine.My granny said"that being white was easy and I should not tell anyone about my mixed heritage".But after learning about my Native roots I decieded to take that part of me and use it for religious purposes. I to am a "MUTT" and when I heard President Obama say he was a "mutt" too I felt like I have someone in the "WhiteHouse" that represents me.I am a Ameican first a vet second a father third and I am a MUTT and I am PROUD to say it.So of course I want hemp grown leagaly to provide the products that can be derieved from such a maliened plant.We are all Cannabis people that is the glue that should bind us all together.:peace:

A-Men Brother !!!

Why should we have to,
"put a down payment on a new Energy Economy",
When all we have to do Is Plant a crop ??!!??

I was a part of the Virgin earth challenge this year.I sent a ideal in that would rapidly make a difference.Virgin Earth challenge{Sir Richard Branson} was open to anyone with a good ideal on how to eliminate co2 molocules from the air. I subbmitted a "HEMP -BIO-FUEL" plan to address the CO2 emmisions and our fuel concerns all in one shot! My Ideal made it to round two in the contest.The reason it failed is it did not have any profit values to it.Our leaders are commited to cleaning our air and meeting our fuel needs as long as there is money to be made from it.I just hope in thier quest to make a dollar we dont end up on the other side of the scale, and end up with more air we cant breath!!! Air is a essental part of our lives and without it we would all die quick.Thats the message these World Leaders need to get,not how can I make a buck in cleaning the enviroment up.So in my opinion its all about the cash baby!!!:cool:

Yes all peoples should be free to grow hemp.

No, the Native Americans should NOT be treated differently. This is an issue of far greater human importance than debating the pros/cons of Manifest Destiny.

Here in Canada, the Indian reserves do not have to pay the tax on many things including tobacco. If you want cheap smokes, go there. What will happen is if the reserves wanted to they could make it legal to grow hemp and medicinal pot and legally the government here in Canada would have to accept it or send the RMCP in to wipe out the growers. We have not had a good showdown with the natives in a long time. This would certainly be dangerously entertaining. The elders would say something like it is a harmless plant and we use it to eat and clothe ourselves. The government would be forced to explain why it is harmful drug and useless plant, both we know they cannot do. Then there will be a lot of bloodshed or the government would have to accept it. The second they accept it,there will be thousands of legal challenges to allow everyone else to do the same. The government is tough but it can be worn down.

I too am part Native American. The thing is the gov. is all about profit. If they can't make a profit off the Native Americans growing Hemp they'll do what they can to stop it. Hemp is such a wonderfull industial product it blows my mind why the gov. won't allow it to be grown.

Back
Top Bottom