Pollen chuckers paradise

Hey Dankman, I'm all for what you are doing. Last year I grew out a White Widow XTRM male and used it's pollen to selectively pollinate a White Widow and a Gorgonzola. I did a single pollination event on March 1st (outdoor grow in Southern Hemisphere), with 4 - 6 weeks for seeds to mature, these ones were timed nicely when I harvested just after the middle of April, lots of nice dark mature seeds trying to split out of swollen Calyxs, a couple hundred seeds per each small modest cola.

My grow this year is from those seeds. While I still have some pollen saved in the fridge with rice from 3 years ago. I also have a jar of the WW pollen from last year that I will use again to selectively pollinate a couple more colas this grow. I never got around to putting it in the fridge but it's still dry and powdery, it has been sitting out of the light high on a shelf in the lounge that reaches to 30C or so in summer. I have read of others having no problem with room temperature stored pollen so just for shits and giggles I plan on trying it out in about 3 weeks. But I agree with the others, storing with rice in the fridge makes sense.

Something to consider when pollinating is how far away will your harvest be. The more developed the buds when you pollinate, the more seeds you'll get. This year I will possibly wait a week later than last year to let the buds get even bigger and so I get even more seeds at harvest. So if you can time your pollination for 4- 6 weeks before harvest then it should be spot on for maximum seeds. To be honest, I think even 3 weeks can be enough to make viable seeds.

One other thing. In my so far 3 grows of selective pollination, I have found no difference to the smoke/vape quality of the bud between the seeded colas and the unseeded colas, seeded seems just as potent in my limited experience.

Good luck with it :goodluck:

Dankman. Waiting for pollen is just one more way for plants to mess with us LOL. If you don't want to keep it. It seems to show up fast. Leave for 3 days and your whole crop is lost to seeds LMAO. If you want to use it it takes its time like trichomes going cloudy LOL.

How much light are you giving it? I dropped my males back to 10 hrs of light to put them on the fast track. It might help by a few days.

Nice looking male though. Structure and branching both look really good.

Dankman. Waiting for pollen is just one more way for plants to mess with us LOL. If you don't want to keep it. It seems to show up fast. Leave for 3 days and your whole crop is lost to seeds LMAO. If you want to use it it takes its time like trichomes going cloudy LOL.

How much light are you giving it? I dropped my males back to 10 hrs of light to put them on the fast track. It might help by a few days.

Nice looking male though. Structure and branching both look really good.
[/QUOT
Hi Jack I almost tagged you in this thread. Glad you found it. He's on 12\12 due to the heat from the hps is helping keep temps up. Highs will be in 70's lows in 50's. I had a flower run in there recently. So I'm familiar with environmental issues. I had planned on not growing in there due to cost of heat. But seems perfect for breeding

Over the last 5\6 year's of growing mostly regs I've tossed lots of males into compost bin. Time to be some use out of them

I usually will take a male and put him in the flower room so the girls know he's there. Then BEFORE he opens his sacks I move him out either cull and compost or collect pollen in another room in isolation.

I've got pollen from some really great plants. I've not tried to use the saved up pollen yet.

The girls seem to grow better when there's a male plant near by.

I'll join, it's been fun hucking pollen and then working those strains further and further. When I started, i never planned on "breading" but now I'm all about the hunt. Just wish I had more space. I've tried pollen in the freezer but never with rice may have to try that. It lost its viability and now i just keep it room temp.

Here is the boom boom room. Set to a inline fan and filter and my seedless tent runs one of those dust shrooms to keep pollen out

Here I have a reversed GSC Xtrm for pollination on a GSC Xtrm and Garlic Sherbert. The GSC xtrm is my special pheno and I'll be giving it a new name.
20200208_070340.jpg
20200208_065635.jpg
20200208_065603.jpg
20200208_065539.jpg

It's funny, all my other plants would explode pollen when touched. This one had a ton of pollen but I had to take it by hand. I used my trim bin to collect all the pods and shake them on the screen to collect clean pollen under the bin. That Sherb is now elevated on another 1gal pot to get better lighting

heya friends,, cheers to the breeders here,,

i be one,, a breeder that is,, purely for my own enjoyment.

right now i am trying to get some cbd into some of my other fav strains by breeding in some dope seeds dr. cbd genetics into them.

i have recently had a dr. cbd that was supposed to be a fem seed but gave me a male plant. dope seeds assured me it was indeed really a dr cbd seed even tho it maled on me

so i harvested it's pollen and am currently incorporating it into my grow

i also recently had a mama thai go male on me

P1170667 (2).JPG
mama thai male,, full on pollen production

P1170658 (3).JPG
very productive indeed

P1170656.JPG
recently added rice and the freezer

i have a amnesia/dr.cbd growing now, along with a 'carnival' i pollinated with the mama thai pollen

lots of fun,, and seeds be so expensive now days

karma sent friend,,

Looking great nivek. Very interesting on the CBD, love to know how they come out. Got some Harle-TSU that I gotta do a pheno hunt on then mix with either in house or exotic gear. Looking for a heavy indica high cbd. Seems like that project will be... a lot more involved to say the least.

Hey jack thanks for the kind words. :passitleft: lmao I know how that goes. The stuff coming out looks so good but seeds have gone way up. Last order was from neptune tho and they sent some insane freebies. That Garlic Sherb was a freebie, got three seeds and I definitely have a keeper or two in there.

Back
Top Bottom