Pollen chucking question: How male to female ratio may affect the following generation

KiefTreeFarms

So I had some Casey Jones x Green Manalishi freebies that all came out male.
I chose the one I thought had the best looking, smelling, and health qualities then put it out to flower with some proven ladies as I’ve done before. In fact one of the ladies is the product of this type of pollen chucking. Afterwards on another forum I see that many people got all or mostly males telling me the ratio of offspring is highly male. The females found seem great and what I expected them to be, but the ratio concerns me.
Does anyone have any input or experience with this type of situation that could offer some insight as to how this could possibly affect my crosses. All are/were Reg non-feminized plants except one female.
In the past a Fem used usually produced a greater number of female plants I assumed because of lack of the Reg/normal genetics.
Any help or theories welcome.

Oh boy well you are breaking the genetics that way. Good luck with what results. But statistically it wont be too bad likely.

Genetics was proven a long time ago. This isn't "I think this" or I guess that. This monk accidentally wrote it all down and was given credit a long time later.

When you take an F1 and continue it as you are describing you get...whateves.

You have broken the line at that point and could have any of the best or worst traights from many of the parents.

Genetics is simple but is a college level thing to really get.

There is a specific way to crossbreed for a single or multiple traits. They take 2 to 3 years the fastest method growing canabis fast like 3 runs a year. 4 to 5 years to do it right.

All plants are breed for traits the exact same way because it is generics and works a certain way.

Pot heads mess up weak genetics every day. Weak genetics are all over.

Good weed is reasonably 50 50 male female. Otherwise you have some crap to throw away.

Yes I understand Gregor Mendel’s observations and the idea of picking and cubing genetic traits.
That’s why I was bringing the question up and asking for experience. If it’s only the male female ratio then I’m not really sweating it to much. I’ll try to find the best female to run and take cuttings especially if the ratio is bad. If not then I’ll see where that leads. I’m not really breeding for sale etc. it’s mostly personal use and I’ve had some good luck(things worth trying to lock down) and some bad luck(30+stable ok plants but nothing great to be found).
Also if I understand correctly the best way to choose the males are to
A) use chosen males in controlled separate environments, grow out offspring, and document looking for desirable traits?
Or
B) reversing cuttings and testing the males for desired traits ; then following as above stated in A. ?
Just questions
Thanks for your thoughts/time

For sure...you are asking the right questions so you my friend shall have some support.

Most people get on here all excited that they have figured out how to make something and they can be no further from the truth.

A good breeding program needs reall space to have minimum 2 groups of 50 plants going.

You need for any run more than 2males and females to get a reasonable variation of what is available between the genetics to begin with. If you have 2 weak lines maybe even more.

From there yes prefer to grow out males for growth and physical traits.

I collect pollen all the time in she tent as flowering plants but you have to do things bad to the Male to do so. So you should grow your males out if you care about their maturation cycle. Maybe you ar just looking for the shortest male...

The take cuttings from the best of the 25 females.

And make 50 new plants ...then it gets very difficult to follow th e propper back breeding program for 2 years to stabilize and make a strain.

From the second set of 50 you need pollen or a cone from 1 of the 2 original parents and back breed to that. So you have to keep that around.

It gets complicated fast.

And sort of goes without saying but to do it right you must be solid at running side by side grows over multiple soil batches.

The constant moving around and pulling of plants lends itself to soil or coco. But...soil is much more stable and predictable and much easier as well as cheaper.

You will become an expert at composting.

To do it justice.

Thanks this is the information I was hoping to find. I realize it’s a lot of work so that’s why I was asking these questions up front. I definitely understand there’s a huge difference between properly breeding a strain and chucking some pollen “hoping” to find one plant to take cuttings from. Like I’ve said ran 30+ but I’m going to have to work at hitting the 2x50 mark. Is it terribly counter productive if the two groups are in two different places(approx. same just not exactly) as long as the setup is exactly the same? Just wondering if I can keep the numbers game happy and achieve all this realistically.
Thanks again for your help

Sobif you wanna do it right you dont need to go that big.

But the bigger the better. You want to be growing and tossing s lot of plants. I have done this.

But I try to scare people away because most people are just making bunk genetics taking F1s and not back breeding right making one offs and hard to grow garbage.

You can buy fantastic seeds online.

But if you are insistant to try and beat the pros...

We can chat.

You want 4 simultaneous Veg runs you need to be doing 20 or more per run. Veg is small you can do 80 in a small place in 3 gallon pots.

Then for bloom you can be an ass and choose to select males only on veg traits and have a small male bloom tent.

You want to take clones every time they go into bloom to maintain the back breeding on multiple runs.

Then you can be blooming anything that is rocking in veg and dump anything marginal in veg and get a smaller veg bloom.

There are things to be done to optimize but...the more you do the higher diversity you have to choose from.

This is how evolution works. This is looking for a big momentary change by accident that you back breed into the main line. So the more you run in veg the higher chance you find that special one.

Thank you VI
This gives me a lot to think about with better idea/understanding numbers etc involved. Definitely makes me respect the genetics of quality breeders more and think a lot more about what and why you choose something as you’ll be spending 2+Yrs of your life perfecting it.
Definitely a lot of hard work over a long haul.
I’m not starting right this moment, but if I decide to take this on I’ll need a mentor or at the least someone with experience to bounce ideas off of. I will want to contact/msg you if that’s cool as you seem knowledgeable, have principals, and straight shooter mentality.
Thanks again

Not here to make friends, especially on this topic. It take the destruction of the lineage serriously for a few reasons. In the end it doesn't matter because bad stuff, like what you originally asked about... mostly males, dies out and goes away.

There are lots of outstanding breeders that are worth just getting seeds from.

In order to enter something in the cannabis cup it has to be a viable strain. As in you put down 20 seeds and they all look the same. Otherwise you can't enter.

It takes 6 gens of not so obvious sideways back breeding to do that correctly and you will have failures along the way. So that is a lot to take on unless you already are doing a big grow.

You can do what you want but know what you are doing.

I do stupid things to F1s all the time with great results often. And I stop there and clone. Because I know the statistics about moving forward.

These days it really doesn't matter and I get my panties in a bunch over it fer nuthin but back in the day you got seeds in ways that weren't guaranteed.

I suppose these days it's your own fault if you have bunk seeds.

Back
Top Bottom