Portable A/C unit

vickg35

I'm needing help on buying an ac unit. I would like a small portable one. My question is, is there any portable ac units with a heater that automatically turn on and off so that it will keep my temp where I have it set? Or any advice on how to keep the temps pretty consistent. I'm running 1800w all air cooled.

I have a portable AC (the kind that stands up, not a window unit) and have to say, for the BTU rating it really sucks compared to a smaller window unit I had before. If you want to spend some cash you can buy a mini split which will do what you need all in one unit but installation is serious.

Appreciate all the ideas . Last thing on my list so I can get everything dialed in where it should be. I'm in a 8x8 tent so hopefully I can keep it fresh in there with a decent one

If it has to be a portable I would definitely by a unit larger than you think you need. If it were me I would buy one that says it covers double whatever the actual square footage is.

You need to figure the BTUs of all equipment operating in the tent then consider the air exchange. The unit you chose will need to have a BTU rating above your figure by a comfortable margine, 20% may do it. Perhaps we have an HVAC guru here at 420 that can give a authorative answer.

You need to figure the BTUs of all equipment operating in the tent then consider the air exchange. The unit you chose will need to have a BTU rating above your figure by a comfortable margin, 20% may do it. Perhaps we have an HVAC guru here at 420 that can give a authoritative answer.

20% should do it, but it will be hard to calculate the BTU's of all the equipment operating because some of the equipment that is generating heat is actually cooling things down (namely open air fans and can fans). AC's are a pain to size because if you size it too small, it won't be able to get the room down to the temp you want, but it will drop humidity significantly. Too big and it will cool your room too quickly without removing enough humidity and that leaves you with a whole different mess of problems (and it's a very inefficient way to run air conditioning. The other reason it's a pain is that there is no good equation to figure out how many btu's you need for a certain area.

If your space is under 1500f3 (10Lx10Wx10H) then you will probably need somewhere between 2500-5000 btu's/hour.

If it's between 1500f3 and 3000f3 (20Lx15Wx10H) then you will probably need 5000-8000 btu's/hour.

If it's bigger than that, let me know and I can look at my chart again.

The point is that if you half the volume, the math does not work out so that you will need half the BTU's. It follows a (rough) reverse exponential curve.

20% should do it, but it will be hard to calculate the BTU's of all the equipment operating because some of the equipment that is generating heat is actually cooling things down (namely open air fans and can fans). AC's are a pain to size because if you size it too small, it won't be able to get the room down to the temp you want, but it will drop humidity significantly. Too big and it will cool your room too quickly without removing enough humidity and that leaves you with a whole different mess of problems (and it's a very inefficient way to run air conditioning. The other reason it's a pain is that there is no good equation to figure out how many btu's you need for a certain area.

If your space is under 1500m3 (10Lx10Wx10H) then you will probably need somewhere between 2500-5000 btu's/hour.

If it's between 1500m3 and 3000m3 (20Lx15Wx10H) then you will probably need 5000-8000 btu's/hour.

The point is that if you half the volume, the math does not work out so that you will need half the BTU's. It follows a (rough) reverse exponential curve.
I am at about 200 square feet and with highs around 90 degrees my 10,000 BTU Honeywell portable AC is having a hard time keeping up. It's set to 72 degrees and is only maintaining 75 degrees with an outdoor temperature of 89 degrees.

Forgot to mention, that is NOT in a grow room, that is in a regular bedroom. No grow equipment at all. Just a regular bedroom with a computer, tv and bed.

I am at about 200 square feet and with highs around 90 degrees my 10,000 BTU Honeywell portable AC is having a hard time keeping up. It's set to 72 degrees and is only maintaining 75 degrees with an outdoor temperature of 89 degrees.

Do you have the ventilation set up properly?
If you have run it for a couple of months, the filters could be dirty.
If you have intake or output vents that aren't sealed off to the room, that can affect the performance as well.

I was using cubic feet by the way, not square feet (or cubic meters, which I had posted originally). For that size space, 10,000 should do it, unless the "out" vent on the AC is open to the room or the room is pulling air in/out by means other than the AC

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, that is NOT in a grow room, that is in a regular bedroom. No grow equipment at all. Just a regular bedroom with a computer, tv and bed.

oh haha. never mind anything I said then

Trust me, I previously had a 5000-8000 BTU (older unit I have had forever) window unit that I know cooled just as well as this portable POS. And this was an old window unit that had been sitting around. The portable technology in my opinion is just no match for a window unit.

Trust me, I previously had a 5000-8000 BTU (older unit I have had forever) window unit that I know cooled just as well as this portable POS. And this was an old window unit that had been sitting around. The portable technology in my opinion is just no match for a window unit.

They do have a bit of a reputation for being hit or miss. I think they are better for very small spaces. like 60sqft or less.

I did a good bit of research before buying the Honeywell, it was one of the top rated units. It's definitely a huge miss for me. Now I am looking at taking the hit to sell it and buy a decent window unit.

If your space is under 1500f3 (10Lx10Wx10H) then you will probably need somewhere between 2500-5000 btu's/hour.

If it's between 1500f3 and 3000f3 (20Lx15Wx10H) then you will probably need 5000-8000 btu's/hour.

Im in a 5x5 and running a spider farmer sf4000 and 2000. Summer here is ridiculous and im growing in my garage. I have a small 6k btu window unit in the garage and its a dual car garage. Im need ing something either in my tent or a bigger window unit. Any suggestions that would be the best?

Back
Top Bottom