Possible frost: how to protect plants

shathaway

In north east they are predicting a possible frost tonight, I have 5 plants outside, how can I protect them without hurting them. I don’t have ability to prop up any sort of tarp above them.

Thank you,

Steve

Hi shathaway... Are your plants in pots or directly in the ground? If in pots if possible move them into a garage or your home for the cold nights and then put them back out first thing in the morning... If they are in the ground you could try putting thick mulch or hay around the bottoms of the plants to try to keep the roots in the ground warm... If you can find a way to cover them from the frost landing on the leaves and buds you should do so, .. Its only the first frost of the season so ground should still stay warm. :)

They are in the ground. I should be able to get a few bags of mulch pretty easily. If I lay a sheet on the plants, will it damage them? That's about the only way I would be able to cover them I believe.

Make sure the mulch is a dark color it will retain the heat more in the ground then light colored mulch... If you cover them use a cloth sheet not plastic the plastic sheet will just let the cold threw unless you have it suspended away from touching the plants. Also with any plant you cover with a sheet you may suffer some bent foliage.

Back
Top Bottom