Possible nitrogen deficiency or transplant shock?

Rider509

White Widow Auto, approx 3 weeks veg in soil. Transplanted four days ago from Solo cups to 4gal Smart Pots. The soil was hydrated with pH 6.5 adjusted tap water with no nutrients added. The tap water is naturally soft. The grow tent maintains 82F and 40% humidity.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil
Fox Farms Big Bloom and Grow Big fertilizers
600W MH grow light approx 16" from plants

The yellowing started becoming apparent shortly after transplanting. Fed yesterday with water adjusted to pH 6.5 and 1/2 strength nutes for a PPM of 750. Soil runoff was at pH 6.8.

pH and PPM verified by Apera pH and BlueLab PPM pens, properly calibrated.

IMG_9721.PNG
IMG_9722.PNG

This is my first grow so I have no experience. Should I be concerned?

Hi, I notice some stippling , have you had a good look for mites or any other unwelcome guests? Spider mites are tiny, and can be hard to spot at times. If you find any white webbing that looks like cat hair and breaks easily, you have them. (Hope you don't!) Ph issues and Spider mites can often look similar tho, although your ph looks fine.
Re: Autos and transplanting, in my experience they get shocked and stunted easily. But for me I don't believe yellowed, they just didn't budge for a week or so.
After transplant, is she much closer to the light?
As an aside, would you consider upping your humidity in veg?
I had a look at what deficiencies it could be the start of, and came up with manganese and nitrogen. But to be honest she looks ok, I'd keep an eye on her though for any further changes. Not familiar with your soil/ nutes so can't comment on that aspect. Best of luck!

I'm def not an expert but I have been doing a lot of research on lighting lately and that looks like an awful lot like lights are to close for the plants age. If you can try to move the light up some...say 26"to 30" for a few days and see if that stops. If its light burn there color will not come back.

:circle-of-love:

After transplant, is she much closer to the light?
Dobbi and BCKush, you are both right. They have been under much more light. I have now raised the light and kicked it down to 300W.

As an aside, would you consider upping your humidity in veg?
Dobbi, I can make it rain. :)

IMG_97338.JPG

White Widow Auto, approx 3 weeks veg in soil. Transplanted four days ago from Solo cups to 4gal Smart Pots. The soil was hydrated with pH 6.5 adjusted tap water with no nutrients added. The tap water is naturally soft. The grow tent maintains 82F and 40% humidity.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil
Fox Farms Big Bloom and Grow Big fertilizers
600W MH grow light approx 16" from plants

The yellowing started becoming apparent shortly after transplanting. Fed yesterday with water adjusted to pH 6.5 and 1/2 strength nutes for a PPM of 750. Soil runoff was at pH 6.8.

pH and PPM verified by Apera pH and BlueLab PPM pens, properly calibrated.

IMG_9721.PNG
IMG_9722.PNG

This is my first grow so I have no experience. Should I be concerned?

Your ppm is too high for a 21 day old plant. Should be more around 300-450

What was your mixture ? How much of each did you mix ?

Pagoda,
Fox Farms Big Bloom and Grow Big fertilizers added to water adjusted to pH 6.5 and 1/2 strength mix according to Fox Farms feeding schedule for week 3. I used 3 tsp Big Bloom and 1.5 tsp Grow Big per gallon. I'm thinking the Ocean Forest soil may be hot enough by itself.

Pagoda,
Fox Farms Big Bloom and Grow Big fertilizers added to water adjusted to pH 6.5 and 1/2 strength mix according to Fox Farms feeding schedule for week 3. I used 3 tsp Big Bloom and 1.5 tsp Grow Big per gallon. I'm thinking the Ocean Forest soil may be hot enough by itself.

You also should remember that you have an auto...not a photo which is what the schedule is meant for. Auto's grow much faster...a 2week old auto is not the same as a 2 week old photo. I think a little less nutes is needed. I personally would skip nutes for two or three waterings and then introduce Big bloom at 1.5 teaspoon per gallon every other watering and see if it likes it. FFOF is pretty hot...you can run an auto out on that soil by itself,,,it need s minimal nutes. just my 2 cents :thumb:

After further research I think you and PagodaVapors are right, BC. My runoff was at 6.8pH and 1400ppm. Just pH adjusted water for these autos until it goes into flower.

I agree...I use ff happy frog and the same nutes. HF is about half strength of OF. I am running 2 autos in my journal if you get a chance. All auto's are different. I feed one of them 4 tsp per gallon and she just loved it....the other I gave just 1.5 tsp and her tips got ever so slightly burnt.....trial and error......start sloooow though. I would say next time, if you use FFOF just skip the big grow all together.

I should know this just from tending our house plants. Let the plant tell you what it needs, not the other way around. How many plants are killed with kindness?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I should know this just from tending our house plants. Let the plant tell you what it needs, not the other way around. How many plants are killed with kindness?

My best advice is to keep it as simple as possible....with auto's and good soil, ph, light, and lots of love will get you an awesome plant :thumb:

Pagoda,

You shouldn't be using week 3 of the fox farm feeding schedule yet. Feed charts can be tricky. You exactly should be on the first week after seedling. Seedling stage is 2 weeks. Then normally you start week 1 of feeding schedule. But In this case since you're running OF I wouldn't feed her at all until she shows very first signs of nitrogen deficiency. Then feed her.

But don't do the mixture you did bcuz thats way too much ppms for that age. The ratio was good. But you need to lower it. The mixture you did was 3 tsp (15ml) / gal of big bloom and 1.5 tsp (7.5ml) / gal of grow big and it gave you 750ppm. You want about half that ppm for a 21 day old plant.

If you didnt have FFOF and needed to do a mix. I would mix 1.5 tsp (7.5ml) / gal of big bloom and 0.75 tsp (3.75ml) / gal of grow big. That should give you a ppm around 375

So what I would do is flush her. Then give her a new mixture of 1.5 tsp (7.5ml) / gal of big bloom. And 0.75 tsp (3.75ml) / gal of grow big. That should give you a ppm of about 375.

So much to learn, but I must be learning because I considered doing a flush in the morning (It's 12:40am here). I'm so glad to hear you confirm it.

Thank you to all that have offered your time and knowledge. I appreciate it more than you know.

So much to learn, but I must be learning because I considered doing a flush in the morning (It's 12:40am here). I'm so glad to hear you confirm it.

Thank you to all that have offered your time and knowledge. I appreciate it more than you know.

I would run a 2:1 water to soil ratio on a flush. Example If your using 3 gal of soil I would run 6 gal of water. Then check the ppm on the last run off

Don't add any nutes at this point. Make sure your soil isn't running hot first.

As an experiment I flushed one of the plants showing this symptom with 8 gallons of pH7.5 tap water, and finished with two gallons of adjusted pH6.4 water. The other one I left as is. After a few days I'll post up results.

As an experiment I flushed one of the plants showing this symptom with 8 gallons of pH7.5 tap water, and finished with two gallons of adjusted pH6.4 water. The other one I left as is. After a few days I'll post up results.

Right on brotha

Pure. Potent. Vapor

Back
Top Bottom