Pot Advocate Blames Red Tape For Hash-Oil Blast

MedicalNeed

Ottawa is to blame for an explosion that badly burned a Lower Sackville man Saturday, says the head of Maritimers Unite for Medical Marijuana.

"I firmly believe what happened is the fault of our government," said Debbie Stultz-Giffin of Bridgetown.

Chris Backer was in his basement making hash oil when the blast occurred, RCMP have said.

The 40-year-old has a permit to use medical marijuana, which he has said he uses to manage his Crohn’s disease.

But Stultz-Giffin said Backer and many other patients get the most relief from ingesting cannabis in oil form.

"Oils often exemplify the medical benefits of the plant, and people tend to get more prolonged relief, better pain coverage over a longer period of time, by ingesting extracts, whether it’s oils, tincture or something as simple as a brownie with cannabis in it," Stultz-Giffin said.

She said the only ways to get hash oil in Canada are to buy it on the black market or try to make it yourself.

Backer is a longtime member and board member of the society, which acts as a lobby and advocacy group.

"(Backer’s) oil use and oil making is 100 per cent medical," Stultz-Giffin said.

Health Canada knows that many people use or want to use oils but there is no legal way to get them, she said.

"(Backer’s case) is just the prime example, that they’ve put us in danger time and again."

Stultz-Giffin said all aspects of the plant should be considered equally for medicinal use. And methods and equipment for safe home manufacturing of hash oil could be developed if the government endorsed the idea, she said.

Backer was listed in critical condition over the weekend. Stultz-Giffin said Monday evening she was not free to discuss his condition.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Author: DAVENE JEFFREY
Source: thechronicleherald.ca
Copyright: 2011 The Halifax Herald Limited

Using an example of someone's poor decision making to highlight the unjust laws of today's society is futile, silly, and horrible PR.

Laws prohibiting cannabis consumption are immoral. Ignorance and ignoring common sense in the pursuit justice may be less so, but this individual sure is paying a high price.

Using an example of someone's poor decision making to highlight the unjust laws of today's society is futile, silly, and horrible PR.

Laws prohibiting cannabis consumption are immoral. Ignorance and ignoring common sense in the pursuit justice may be less so, but this individual sure is paying a high price.

Yeah I would blame this idiot for using an extraction method that came with a risk of deadly explosion. I only allow myself to call him an idiot because he decides to try and blame someone else for it. Yeah its crap that he couldn't legally buy it, but he could make something just as effective without risk of deadly explosion if he had tried.

Back
Top Bottom