Pot Arrests Up Despite Initiatives, Group Says

PFlynn

Colorado - Citations and arrests for minor possession of marijuana continue to rise in Denver, even though voters have passed two initiatives to reduce such enforcement, a group says.

"More and more people want the police and prosecutors to stop, but they're citing and prosecuting more and more people," said Mason Tvert, executive director of Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation.

Tvert said that statistics he obtained from the Denver police's civil liability bureau show that the number of misdemeanor marijuana arrests has increased by almost 18 percent from 2006 to 2007.

Tvert said that arrests of adults age 22 and older were: 1,059 in 2004; 1,168 in 2005; 1,347 in 2006; and 1,587 in 2007.

If last year's figures are compared with those of 2005, the numbers show a 36 percent jump, he said. Compared with 2004, there has been a 50 percent increase, he said.

Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said he had not seen the numbers that Tvert was using and could not comment on their accuracy or meaning.

"Were (those arrested) in violation of the law?" he said. "The Denver police, regardless of high priority or low priority, are in charge of enforcing the law on the books."

Jackson noted that minor marijuana possession is a crime under state law.

Tvert is a member of the Denver Marijuana Policy Review Panel, which meets at 3:30 p.m. today in the law library of the City and County Building.

Denver voters passed a measure in 2005 that would remove the penalties for an adult possessing less than an ounce of marijuana. Last year, voters passed an initiative to make misdemeanor marijuana possession the "lowest law enforcement priority."

Source: Denver Rocky Mountain News (CO)
Copyright: 2008 Denver Publishing Co.
Website: Rocky Mountain News : Denver News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars, & Information

This is disturbing....frustrating....hell just pisses me off. But look at it from this perspective. All law enforcement just like in corporate america we tend to take the path of least resistance to get our jobs done. We are in escence an easy target for law enforcement. As a whole law enforcement is very politocal and competitive. Most cops just have a "God" like complex. Power does very strange things to men and women in a position of authority. Even though medical cannabis was passed as a "legal substance" in Colorado for those who are presribed it from a medical doctor the police view us as easy targets. Because they are allowed a long leash from their bosses and are encouraged due to peer pressure and a competitive streak to make another notch on their belt. They are trained "the law is the law" and no matter what you will enforce the CRS no matter what the poeple say! It is what it is. It just pisses us off...........:passitleft: so keep passing it around the house people! Let's all get an attitude adjustment...I'm feeling better already.:smokin:

What bull shit. People caught with Marijuana often serve longer prison sentences than child molesters.What the fuck is wrong with this world?

Right on Brother that's exactly what I'm talking about!!!!! I feel Ya Dog.:passitleft::allgood: Have a hit of this......:peace:

Absolute bullshit, and indicative of a power tripping elite in Denver. The part that is absolutely relevant and that Mr. Pig left out of his "rebuttal" while muttering something about "it's still a crime" is this:

THIS is the core of the problem, and it's NATION-FU*KING-WIDE.

The cities, the townships, the metro areas, the states, the federal government are ALL IN PLACE, BY THE PEOPLE, TO SERVE THE PEOPLE!! God DAMNIT it makes me mad that these elitist a**holes think they have the RIGHT, as a PUBLIC SERVANT, to decide to INGORE the will of the people, and then proceed to prioritize according to their OWN AGENDA, which is clearly "laziness first, and let's keep those jails full so we get more Federal TAXPAYER CASH because we can show our "drug problem" is out of control".

Oh I'm pissed. The people of Denver need to begin recall proceedings against the Mayor at the VERY least. The Police report to the Mayor, and apparently there are L-A-W-S which prioritize FOR them, enacted by the PEOPLE, their tasks, and marijuana enforcement is supposed to be the LOWEST on that list.

So, either Denver has just become completely, 100% absolved of ALL CRIME and all that's left is maryjane possession, or the Mayor and the Police are ignoring the will of the people.

Nothing new here, welcome to the new world order.

Absolute bullshit, and indicative of a power tripping elite in Denver. The part that is absolutely relevant and that Mr. Pig left out of his "rebuttal" while muttering something about "it's still a crime" is this:

THIS is the core of the problem, and it's NATION-FU*KING-WIDE.

The cities, the townships, the metro areas, the states, the federal government are ALL IN PLACE, BY THE PEOPLE, TO SERVE THE PEOPLE!! God DAMNIT it makes me mad that these elitist a**holes think they have the RIGHT, as a PUBLIC SERVANT, to decide to INGORE the will of the people, and then proceed to prioritize according to their OWN AGENDA, which is clearly "laziness first, and let's keep those jails full so we get more Federal TAXPAYER CASH because we can show our "drug problem" is out of control".

Oh I'm pissed. The people of Denver need to begin recall proceedings against the Mayor at the VERY least. The Police report to the Mayor, and apparently there are L-A-W-S which prioritize FOR them, enacted by the PEOPLE, their tasks, and marijuana enforcement is supposed to be the LOWEST on that list.

So, either Denver has just become completely, 100% absolved of ALL CRIME and all that's left is maryjane possession, or the Mayor and the Police are ignoring the will of the people.

Nothing new here, welcome to the new world order.

Damn fucking strait.
It's bullshit. Most cops have their own agenda, and they have some stupid vendetta to prove because they were bullied in high school. It fucking sucks.

Some of the most corrupt, law breaking people there are, happen to be police officers.
They have extremely high rates of drug and alcohol abuse.

I just read about someone busted with over 6000 lbs of herb,the genuis was speeding with 10lbs and 100Gs in the car,so they got a warrant and found the rest in the basement of his house...WHATTA SHAME!

10 lbs., a hundred grand & speeding. Candidate for dummy of the year. Not only is speeding stupid, esp when carrying any weight at all, but you gotta have your lights & signals working as well. ALWAYS USE YER SIGNALS when changing lanes. I read all the time "...was pulled over for an illegal lane change. Found was..." I got pulled over for a license plate light that was out. Not carrying but it was a word to my wise.

The only dui I ever has back the early 80"s was because of a burned out tail light I did not know about. Other wise I would not have been nabbed. Always check yer car out, esp if transporting.

mM

Not only that but the dumbass knew he had a basement full of bails back at home,the probable cause was obviously not a problem henve a search warrent hence Looooooong jail sentence!!

Back
Top Bottom