Pot in the 60s/70's and now.

yako

i know this has been brought up many a time, im sorry. but it is an interesting topic. so i was talkin to some guy and we were chillin, smokin a joint.. he was talking bout "Maaan you're buds got what we used to call mexican pot. This stuffs allll over the place nowadays. back then so many people we knew grew it we pretty much always had good pot. i mean if you get some nugs today, those are decent, but thatll run you 30 fuckin bucks for 2 grams. Kindof rediculous." so i mean i wouldn't doubt that yes, a particular strain now has a lotttt of thc% compared to a sample back then couldve been a lot more. but i mean for the most part was the weed pretty much the same but just more nugs were around back then cause more people were growing, causing it to be cheaper? or is the "nugs" we get now really all they crack it up to be in the media and whatnot? or was the weed back then just poopy?

I can't remember...:hmmmm:

i know a couple old heads....they say in the 60's the normal smokage was just leaves but on rare occasion they would find sum buds....but who knows

Growing techonology has been improved, so the weed now a days is better. Dont get me wrong there was really good pot back then, but most of it was mexican brick (which was probly good before it went over the border and all the shit it went through to get here).

What I remember was I got so high the first time I smoked commercial seedy dirt weed, mostly shake, probably from Mexico, $10.00 an oz in 1975.

The next step was good Oaxacan (also from Mexico, also w/ seeds) but much better than the dirt bag stuff, and $20.00 an oz. A tasty green Sativa, mostly buds. The first plant I grew was from one of those seeds, and when my mom found it growing and I moved it to the neighbors backyard that I took care of, and then he dumped a bunch of debris on it and I pulled this 8" high lady and smoked her leaves with a friend...well that was some good stuff too.

After that I smoked all varieties of stuff. I got a quantity of Colombian Gold. That was really good, decent sized buds, very little shake, beautiful hair, and it got me really stoned, the best yet. It retailed for $35.00 an oz, at a 50% profit from the 1/2lb cost.
During this time (mid to late 1970's) there was a lot of hashish of many varieties ($35 or $40 a 1/4 z, retailed at $10-$15 a gr.) and honey oil ($15 a milliliter - can't remember the 10 mil cost) available where I lived. That was usually better than the pot, but there was some poor quality available too.

Then the Thai sticks showed up, maybe 1976. The stuff was compressed into bricks, it was brown, little buds were tied with a hemp fiber to a split piece of bamboo, and it had some seeds. But that was the best high I think I've ever had. The first oz I bought had 16 sticks, I paid $160.00, and the sticks turned around for $15.00 each. But I smoked most of them. hehe. The joints were "pinners", shared among 2 or 3 people. 1 hit would have been enough, but by time the first one caught up w/ you you'd had 2 or 3, and it was all over. That first oz was the best Thai I ever had, and the styx were available for a couple of years, it seems.

In that era I had grass reputed to be Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Maui Wowie, Guererran, Fallbrook Redhair - lids (ozs) were less than $100.00.

Then sinsemilla became da kine. I had a friend raising his own on a few acres in northern Cali, and harvesting big black trashbags full of seedless "untied" Thai, which may have been from Thai seeds, but had no resemblance to the original. They were big sweet green hairy crystallized seedless buds, and the high was great. Not better than good Thai sticks, though. I'd get 1/4 ozs for $40.00 whenever I wanted. This was around 1979-1980. After that it must have been a mixed bag of whatever was around @ about $60-120 oz.

In the late '80's I was getting 1/4 lbs of mostly seedless (but not completely) Mexican redhair for my own use for $125.00, and that was, for me, one or 2 hit stuff. The last 1/4 I got was stronger, but tasted bad. At that point I quit for almost a decade.

Then after the new millenium I tried some orchard grown sinse of some sort, (a gift) and it was just as good but I would say not stronger than the sinse I had in the past, certainly not as trippy as the Thai. I've since procured a few OZs of some locally grown crystally green and multi-colored hairy buds which were excellent too. I can't say it's better than the past, though. Cost was about $225 an oz.

BUT - looking at the varieties available now, the science behind the hybridzation, the percentage of THC, and the advanced methods and growing experience available, there is probably some advance in quality overall. And with inflation, the dollar is worth less, so prices of everything goes up. I remember gasoline at 34 cents a gallon.

For what it's worth. :peace:

One of the seed banks has Heirloom strains,
saw Acapulco Gold on the list along with Panama Red.
Was very tempted to order.

Yeah, the good ol'Days :bong:
I remember 10$ OzS., lids
But it wasn't always dirt weed.
With buds or I wasn't happy.

Not to mention some folks
use to take the time to steam bales open :cheesygrinsmiley:

Lays out just like Freak says.

And bongs were free, I made a cool one in college in ceramics class, about 16" tall and 2" diam...a warm brown glaze, carried it in a burlap Kalso Earth Shoes bag in the trunk of my car. Yup...it was different for me back then. :bong:

I've always wondered about the herb comparison since then...

You hear everywhere to watch out for the extremely potent stuff these days... A little bullshit exaggeration... A little truth... I mean, we got some damn good stuff these days, and I'm sure there was just as (or better) good grass back then, you know?

My two cents-

:peace: Earth Child

Excellent posts FreakNature. Very comprehensive with the prices and everything else.

When I was in high-school (early 2000's), they told us almost specifically that we would be in huge trouble if we attempted to make anything even remotely like a pipe or bong. My how times change.

Do you think demand is affecting price/quality? Would you say there is an increased demand today over the 60's and 70's or has it stayed pretty much the same?

^^It's hard for me to say. I'm so out of the culture compared to the situation I was in previously. I gotta keep everything on the down-low, ya' know, so I really only know a few people around here that are involved. However, that young lady at the back of the line getting into the county fair the other day was surely smoking a cigarette laced w/ pot (the aroma was unmistakable) as she stood there with her grandma, mom, and baby. And those boys in the crowd at the fair were passing a small cigar between themselves. And that group of teenagers was leaving for the parking lot to do something that seemed vaguely covert. I just don't have my finger on the pulse to really know what the real statistics are. My gut tells me that since the dollar is worth less, and the laws are still stacked against MJ, so most people won't grow their own, the price goes up.

That all makes alot of sense. Not alot of growing locally means you have to get it from somewhere else. As such, prices go up.

Heh- this gal at the fair was downwind of everyone, but she didn't see me walking around the corner from the ATM machine. When I got in line behind her she moved off to the side and started puffing pretty quick to finish the cig. She played it pretty cool, though.

i saw something on like sixty minutes that pot back then wasnt a big deal because it only had about 5 percent thc compared to now a days where the lowest dank percentage is about 20

thats part of the reason why its so expensive now...

Well, I didn't smoke in the 60s/70s but I sure did in the 50s. We had a choice of Acapulco Gold or Panama Red and it came 1 oz in a Prince Albert tobacco can. I think it cost $25. It was excellent then and it is excellent now. Just the same as far as I can tell. I think the reason it's thought to be stronger now is because of the indica hybrids. Indica just knocks me out.

Just think It gets legalized, doobs may drop to a nickel :cheesygrinsmiley:
5 cents that is

or will high taxes on it keep the price High ?

Let's see, would I pick up roaches off the street and re-roll them? Nah!!!

I'll just have a locked cage in my back yard with my personal plants growing, and a well trained dog circling around it, to keep everything safe. And there ain't no way they're gonna tax what I smoke, brother. I'd have to become a scofflaw. :laughtwo: :peace:

Well, I didn't smoke in the 60s/70s but I sure did in the 50s. We had a choice of Acapulco Gold or Panama Red and it came 1 oz in a Prince Albert tobacco can. I think it cost $25. It was excellent then and it is excellent now. Just the same as far as I can tell. I think the reason it's thought to be stronger now is because of the indica hybrids. Indica just knocks me out.

I'd love to hear your story one day! Yeah, the media has an interesting perspective not necessarily based on fact. I hope our young brothers and sisters can listen to the voices of experience here and recognize the truth.

Back
Top Bottom