Pot Law Advocate Goes Back To The Beginning

Truth Seeker

A national medical marijuana crusader and St. Catharines native was back in his hometown courthouse Tuesday for the first time after losing a bid to have his case heard at the Supreme Court.

Matthew Mernagh made a brief appearance in Superior Court on a marijuana production charge that dates back more than five years.

His next date was set for assignment court on Oct. 15.

Mernagh said he's hopeful the case will be resolved on the next date.

"I think I've been through enough," said Mernagh, who has embraced his advocate role, writing a guidebook for marijuana and hosting a show on Pot TV. "It's been a long journey."

Mernagh was charged in April 2008 after Niagara Regional Police found 70 pot plants in his apartment in St. Catharines. He claimed he needed marijuana to help ease symptoms of fibromyalgia, scoliosis and epilepsy but couldn't find a doctor in St. Catharines who was willing to sign a medical declaration. The declaration is required for legal medical marijuana under Canadian regulations.

In April 2011, St. Catharines Superior Court Judge Donald Taliano stayed the charges against Mernagh, finding Canada's medical marijuana program failed to give legal access to sick people because doctors refused to endorse the paperwork.

The Ontario Court of Appeal overturned that decision on Feb. 1, 2013 and ordered a new trial.

Mernagh and his lawyer then tried to take the case to the Supreme Court but was denied leave to appeal in July.

That leaves Mernagh, a Holy Cross Secondary School and University of Windsor grad now living in Toronto, back at the St. Catharines courthouse at square one.

He told a judge Tuesday that the Public Prosecution Service of Canada has requested medical documentation from him and the information was sent to their office Monday.

Mernagh said outside court his first concern has always been access to medical marijuana for people who need it. He said improvements have occurred with the medical marijuana program since his case started, but access is still an issue.

"I'd love to see access. I'd love to see a nurse practitioner open a clinic in St. Catharines and help people get access."

Matthew_Mernagh.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: stcatharinesstandard.ca
Author: Karena Walter
Website: Pot law advocate back at the beginning | St. Catharines Standard

Back
Top Bottom