Pot Poll: Support for Medical Marijuana is High

As reported in this week's WW, Hoffman Construction general counsel Dan Harmon has been touring the state to stoke support for a new law making it easier for employers to fire medical-marijuana patients.

But based on a new poll paid for by marijuana advocates, Harmon's PR campaign hasn't yielded much in the way of public support.

In a statewide poll from Dec. 3-7, 49 percent said they were opposed to Harmon's proposed changes to the medical-marijuana law. Thirty-two percent said they supported the proposed changes, and 20 percent were unsure.

Anthony Johnson of the local marijuana reform group Voter Power released the results of the poll to WW. He says the phone survey of 500 people, with an error margin of plus or minus 4.4 percent, was done by Portland-based Grove Insight.

According to Johnson, the survey framed the issue like this:

"Current Oregon law does not require employers to accommodate the use of medical marijuana in any workplace. In the upcoming session, legislators may consider amending the law to allow employers to fire or not hire medical-marijuana patients, regardless of where the use of medical marijuana occurs."

Johnson says the survey also gauged support for a proposed ballot title allowing adults to cultivate and consume marijuana at home, and support of the medical-marijuana law in general.

Johnson declined to release those results, but said "they are very exciting for our side."

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Willamette Week
Author: James Pitkin
Copyright: 2008 Willamette Week Newspaper & WWEEK

It's outstanding news that Harmon is way behind in the polls.

I may be wrong, but I thought Harmon was trying to do this directly via legislation - overruling the voters.

Again, I may be wrong, but unlike in California where politicians cannot pass laws overriding a citizens initiative - Oregon politicians can override initatives that are law but not initiatives that are constitutional ammendments.

If true, it doesn't really matter if everyone is against it - the politicians can decide to do whatever they think is good for us, whether we like it or not.

Back
Top Bottom