Pot size, tent size, photoperiod question

Timhomegrow

Hi all,

Getting ready to do my third grow and trying photoperiod this time.

I want to do two strains, but debating about one plant for each strain or two plants for each strain as well as debating about using 5gal versus the 3gal smart pots 4x4 tent.

Will four 5 gal plants fit in a 4x4 comfortably or be squished? Am I better off using two 5 gal pots and growing them big with plenty of room? Or is there little benefit for using the 5 gal versus the 3gal I used for my autos?

Hi all,

Getting ready to do my third grow and trying photoperiod this time.

I want to do two strains, but debating about one plant for each strain or two plants for each strain as well as debating about using 5gal versus the 3gal smart pots 4x4 tent.

Will four 5 gal plants fit in a 4x4 comfortably or be squished? Am I better off using two 5 gal pots and growing them big with plenty of room? Or is there little benefit for using the 5 gal versus the 3gal I used for my autos?
You can do 4 plants in 5 gal. grow bags / pots easily in a 4 x 4 tent with plenty of LST room. I've done it a few times.

What medium are you growing In? You can do 4 plants in 15 -20 gallon pots filled with LOS.

Not sure what medium you’re growing in but I use sunshine/Promix.

I usually grow four to six plants to a 4x4 space. If growing four I would normally use ten gallon pots. Six plants and I could get away with 7 gallon pots- maybe five gallon if I don’t mind watering all the time.
Growing four plants that fill a 4x4 - five gallon pots would seem a bit undersized. You could do it but it’s not ideal and you’ll be watering very frequently.

Not sure what medium you’re growing in but I use sunshine/Promix.

I usually grow four to six plants to a 4x4 space. If growing four I would normally use ten gallon pots. Six plants and I could get away with 7 gallon pots- maybe five gallon if I don’t mind watering all the time.
Growing four plants that fill a 4x4 - five gallon pots would seem a bit undersized. You could do it but it’s not ideal and you’ll be watering very frequently.
Growing in soil, FFOF

You’ll want bigger pots then. What strains are you thinking about growing?
Am I right that 1 bag (1.5cu ft) of FFOF will fill just one 10 gal fabric pot? In essence, four plants in 10gal pot is 4 bags of FFOf?

That sounds right for the math. I don’t grow in that type of soil and tend to lean more towards hydro than organics - so a couple of the other guys here can help you more with ffof specifically.

Googling around the info I got on G13 made it sound like a short flowering indica while the other one is supposedly about a ten week strain.
I asked because you said you might grow four different strains- the variations in feeding needs, height, and flowering time can keep you hopping a little sometimes. Makes it more fun, and I’ve had 18 strains or more going at once, but just something to consider if you’re on a timeline or have limited space/time/whatever.
But you learn a lot more and end up with a better variety of smoke later.

1 cubic ft = 7.5 gallons. 10 gallon pot will hold a little less than a 1.5 cubic ft bag.
Geo pot website says there 10 gallon pots hold 1.4 cubic ft

How long are your plants going to be vegging? I was told by an old timer one gallon per week of veg.
Not sure, will be my first time doing photos. I was guessing once the plants get 15" or so in height, maybe 4 weeks?

They need to get about five weeks old before they’re capable of flowering anyway. But sometimes people put them under 12/12 lighting earlier. It keeps them a bit smaller because they don’t get as much light to grow by, and they flower as soon as they get old enough

Ideally four 20 gallon fabric pots.
And probably take 6+ weeks to fill the 4x4 with a SCROG
Bigger the pot the better.

I would add more aeration in the FFOF, like rice hulls or biochar.
Fox farms always seems kinda heavy to me
I do plan to add more perlite, like an 80/20 mix seemed good the last grow.

I'm too scared to do 20gal pots ha. Still a newbie and don't want to outgrow the space if I mess up when to switch to 12/12 light ;)

Back
Top Bottom