Pot Size?

I have read, done and believe that deeper is better, it allows the tap (from seed, clones will throw a couple of semi taps more to anchor themselves though) to get down further which results in increased access to the goods... makes sense don't it?
In fact, if you have ever done or seen tree "planting tubes", they are tall and skinny!

I'm not saying use the real skinny ones but yeah, I like deeper than not.

I have read, done and believe that deeper is better, it allows the tap (from seed, clones will throw a couple of semi taps more to anchor themselves though) to get down further which results in increased access to the goods... makes sense don't it?
In fact, if you have ever done or seen tree "planting tubes", they are tall and skinny!

I'm not saying use the real skinny ones but yeah, I like deeper than not.

Kewl I'm thinking of utilizing rubber-maid trashcans in my closet because of the oval shape, enabling more larger plants psi in the area.
:Namaste:

I was just wondering this myself!!! You ask some great questions Mr. Lynxx!! :cheer:

I was thinking about getting REALLY big compost air pots and cutting them to make smaller diameter ones. OR alternatively, overlapping smaller ones ontop to make them deeper. The OMM made me a believer in air pots, but honestly.. Other than aerating the soil, if you are using something THAT big, you shouldn't have to worry much about root binding!!:high-five:

Thank you my new friend...
I wanna use like either 5 or 10 gallon black canisters...

Crickey! You must be one lean, mean dude!

I don't mean mean, but... you know what I mean! :)

Lugging around 5 gallon pots with the OMM was exhausting! But I'm a little dude who dreams of giant plants, so I will figure a way around it. Maybe I will attach wheels to the bottom of the pots...;)

Or maybe that can be my exercise to get big and strong...

The OMM told me about a friend of his that cuts 60 gallon barrels in two so he has two 30gal. pots! Talk about monsters!

You can also use smart pots if you are worried about root bound/circling! I have used them and still do, outside 200 gal. (30 bucks a piece) ones and can tell you... they are the shit.
They work just like air pots... check them out, for a lil investment, IMO the returns are well worth it!

Trash Cans use trash can liners...
Liners are similar to hydro grow bags...
But they as well do have home cans with wheels... I live in a city that hands out those 200gallon canisters on wheels that you usually see in restaurants for recycling in the kitchen...

Crickey! You must be one lean, mean dude!

I don't mean mean, but... you know what I mean! :)

Lugging around 5 gallon pots with the OMM was exhausting! But I'm a little dude who dreams of giant plants, so I will figure a way around it. Maybe I will attach wheels to the bottom of the pots...;)

Or maybe that can be my exercise to get big and strong...

The OMM told me about a friend of his that cuts 60 gallon barrels in two so he has two 30gal. pots! Talk about monsters!

You can also use smart pots if you are worried about root bound/circling! I have used them and still do, outside 200 gal. (30 bucks a piece) ones and can tell you... they are the shit.
They work just like air pots... check them out, for a lil investment, IMO the returns are well worth it!

I used to use Smart Pots but recently found Geo Pots and they are much better made IMO and the same price.

Smart/Geo Pots are fabric containers which air-prune the roots which prevents your plants from getting root-bound. They're also breathable so they keep the root zone much cooler than traditional pots.

I see I see... I am a closet gardener. I live a shitty state, NY!!! But I am researching moving. Whenever I can get away from this site... lol
Maybe AZ or Sac. but thats cause of da wifey.
Sounds kewl. I still wanna start experimenting with hydro-ton and other neutral base rock mediums. I don't like the bugs, nor the dirt... not just in the pots. I'm O.C.D.
I appreciate the info buds. Smokes 14u!!!

Indoors, the Larger Pots dont really help. Unless you happen to have a massive grow room. I would think that a plant will only grow as much as the light source also allows, My opinion would be to try and find the right size for your available space and light, so you can maximize your overall production,ie. Plants per square foot related to lumens psf.

Indoors, the Larger Pots dont really help. Unless you happen to have a massive grow room. I would think that a plant will only grow as much as the light source also allows, My opinion would be to try and find the right size for your available space and light, so you can maximize your overall production,ie. Plants per square foot related to lumens psf.

Welcome to 420mag.

I believe for this situation we're discussing the use of big pots outdoors.

The canopy size of a plant is determined by it's root mass size. So the larger the root mass, the larger the canopy and vice versa.

I love giant pots. the best way to go. I went from 3gal. to 5gal. to 10gal they get f@#king heavy after that. Go big or go get your stash from someone who knows what there doing.

Back
Top Bottom