Potassium Bicarbonate

Er...

If you take a sample of that theoretical 100-gallon tank, and test it for potassium and find that there's 993 parts per million of K... then that's the concentration of it in the tank. It doesn't matter if you then withdraw a cup, a quart, a gallon, 50 gallons, of take the entire contents - each time you did, you'd get the same test result.

There is no "pet gallon," as such. It's not a measurement of the total amount of potassium, per se (although that could, of course, be easily calculated). It's telling your about the concentration. That's not going to change simply because you pour a certain amount of the solution into a container.

Er...

If you take a sample of that theoretical 100-gallon tank, and test it for potassium and find that there's 993 parts per million of K... then that's the concentration of it in the tank. It doesn't matter if you then withdraw a cup, a quart, a gallon, 50 gallons, of take the entire contents - each time you did, you'd get the same test result.

There is no "pet gallon," as such. It's not a measurement of the total amount of potassium, per se (although that could, of course, be easily calculated). It's telling your about the concentration. That's not going to change simply because you pour a certain amount of the solution into a container.
I see what you are saying, once you mix the two, doesn’t matter if you take a cup, or a gallon, it all has the same concentration. I also understand that there’s no “standard,” need to find out how to get one for this stuff.

I did the math. You get .32 oz per gallon. I’m guessing that’s where the 933 PPM comes in. Who knows. Anyways, I’ve been using about 1.5 teaspoons of pure potassium bicarbonate (diluted first) per 5 gallon bucket to get the solution from 4.2 to 6.5. The 1.5 teaspoons is .25 ounces, as there are 6 teaspoons per ounce. I’ve been using 1.5 teaspoons of K per 5 gallons. That comes down to .3 teaspoons per gallon. So in theory, I’m using less than I should. Problem is, I can’t add more or my pH will go too high. Time to invest in some kelp meal, or something.

Howdy do, just thought I would chip in with my bit about bicarb.
Just be careful when using it as a pH adjust. Bicarb doesn't degrade very well or wash out very well in the run off, when used in large amounts. I was changing my PH with it, from 3.8 to 6.3 because I had ran out of PH up...
It can build up in the bottom of the pot and totally muck up the buffer..
This is a soil sample,from the bottom of the pot, after 4 weeks of using it. Its a 9.5 I would say..
DSC_0676.JPG

And this is a before and after of the plant I was using it on.
DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0724.JPG

I had a total lockout with it..

It's OK once and a while; but from experience, I shall never use it again..

I removed the plant from the pot, added some vinegar to the soil and a reaction occurred. It started frothing up, showing there was bicarb present still, In the old soil.

In small amounts it's fine, but it can lead to a toxicity when using multiple table spoons worth, as I have found out.

Just be careful when using it as a pH adjust. Bicarb doesn't degrade very well or wash out very well in the run off, when used in large amounts. I was changing my PH with it, from 3.8 to 6.3 because I had ran out of PH up...
This is a soil sample,from the bottom of the pot, after 4 weeks of using it. Its a 9.5 I would say..
DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0724.JPG

It's OK once and a while; but from experience, I will never use it again..

I removed the plant from the pot, added some vinegar to the soil and a reaction occurred. It started frothing up, showing there was bicarb present still, In the old soil.

In small amounts it's fine, but it can lead to a toxicity when using multiple table spoons worth, as I have found out.
I actually believe this may still be part of my problem. I used pot feet. Little rubber, circular feet than hold pots off the ground. I used 10 gallon grow bags. I was down there taking a look, and I saw that the weight of repeated watering had caused the pot feet to sink into the bag. Now the bag is just sitting there on the ground in tent. I also think that my plants are locked out, but not because of too much K, it’s just too many nutrients period in the bottom of that bag. No bueno.

Now, I’m locked in with the scrog. It’s a little TIGHT with 4- 10 gallon pots in there, and nothing really goes up and down. There’s 2 nets.

Any suggestions on how to correct my idiocy? Should I flush? Going to be rough, I’ll have to soak it back up.

DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0724.JPG

In small amounts it's fine, but it can lead to a toxicity when using multiple table spoons worth, as I have found
DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0724.JPG

I use about 1.5 teaspoons per watering, about every three days. That doesn’t seem like it’s too much. Is it?

I use about 1.5 teaspoons per watering, about every three days. That doesn’t seem like it’s too much. Is it?
It isnt as much as I was using, I had a table spoon per gallon, every 4 days.. But it's hard to say.
I've read about folks using it with no issues, so it had me perplexed. Especially when I tested the surface of the soil and that was a 7. So I thought all was good at first; but the problems got drastically worse. I knew they had everything they needed in the soil, so it could only be a lockout.. so I checked the lower soil and that was a 9+, whilst the top soil was still a 7...

I recovered one plant by flushing. My problems showed as a Mg deficiency first, then a K deficiency. It looked similar to nutrient burn as the leaves turn brown and start to curl at the ends..
What issues are you having? I have not come across any of your threads.

It isnt as much as I was using, I had a table spoon per gallon, every 4 days.. But it's hard to say.
I've read about folks using it with no issues, so it had me perplexed. Especially when I tested the surface of the soil and that was a 7. So I thought all was good at first; but the problems got drastically worse. I knew they had everything they needed in the soil, so it could only be a lockout.. so I checked the lower soil and that was a 9+, whilst the top soil was still a 7...

I recovered one plant by flushing. My problems showed as a Mg deficiency first, then a K deficiency. It looked similar to nutrient burn as the leaves turn brown and start to curl at the ends..
What issues are you having? I have not come across any of your threads.
I’m having many of the same issues. I’m not a seasoned grower, but I’m mean cmon. Mine looks like a combination of issues. Here’s before and after. Seems very similar to nutrient lockout due to inadequate drainage.

8FDA8CBD-1D7B-4ABF-9543-51DA62C3B219.jpeg

6DEE261E-2F92-4AA6-9A62-EE6FC5780292.jpeg

2EC45545-F284-44BC-9501-758D9DC53004.jpeg

4D0A1C4E-A226-4AC0-BDB3-2224648D7BAC.jpeg

The two in the front are raiser off the ground, the two in back aren’t. The two in back show worse symptoms. That’s why I believe it’s the same.
It all points in that direction. Unfortunately I can't really advise, as I am a novice grower; my knowledge is limited.. Hopefully someone else will jump in and help out.
Nice plants grow by the way

It all points in that direction. Unfortunately I can't really advise, as I am a novice grower; my knowledge is limited.. Hopefully someone else will jump in and help out.
Nice plants grow by the way
Here’s after a good flush with pHed RO water. Well, I used my cal mag to lower the pH, but it was like 1/4 TBSP. It was a PIMA. Sorry about the dark pics, I’ll get ones in the light when I can. That last pic looks like Pizza the Hut, from Spaceballs.

79663D4F-E289-472B-B196-E40F77568365.jpeg

1ED2E1E2-1CD4-43B0-94C0-30C8324DE10A.jpeg

31F4D86E-01EF-4CAA-A15F-392D4F4169F6.png

Just looking for different sources.
Use potassium bicarbonate as a foliar to treat PM and mold.

There are other resources that are better for plant health for pH adjustments.

Check out Vitamin C powder to lower.. Potassium Bicarbonate isnt a good choice for
changing pH. It has many other effects that can be detrimental and is very soluble in water so you flush it away out of the soil. You gotta think where did it go?? Down the drain? Smh...

Here's a good read on Potassium Bicarbonate and Magnesium Sulfate used in a garden setting.

Horticultural Myths

It's an easy quick read.

Back
Top Bottom