PotChimp's Pineapple Express Soilless Grow

That's one side and the other looks about the same size. I think what I will do before I chop is turn on a fluorescent light and take a good pic of all of them. Even with my eyes I can't see the colors under the HPS. I'm growing behind a hidden wall so I can't move around much (I have to crouch down just to open the door to the closet).

That would explain the sudden increase in hair color, Propa Gator. Six weeks would make it a few days from now. In 24 hours they changed to about 15-20%.
One more distilled water flush and I'll check with the magnifier. It doesn't seem to be getting any frostier. If I pinch the smaller buds it smells kind of like a urinal cake at the rest stop.
I sent all the seed breeder's my resume when I applied for a job describing the strain traits in the web ads. They haven't gotten back to me yet; can't imagine why..... :)

Pistils pop out in clusters, and age the same. Trichomes form on new pistils, and on the calyxes that swell the bud. New clusters bury the old, with the trichs that were there.
I never withheld ferts and got new clusters to the end, but fewer ;)

If pineapples smelled like toilet mints, we wouldn't eat them but...
Smokin dat stanky shit make you forgedabout all dat :love:

Pistils pop out in clusters, and age the same. Trichomes form on new pistils, and on the calyxes that swell the bud. New clusters bury the old, with the trichs that were there.
I never withheld ferts and got new clusters to the end, but fewer ;)

If pineapples smelled like toilet mints, we wouldn't eat them but...
Smokin dat stanky shit make you forgedabout all dat :love:

I'm cautious about nutes near the end because of my inexperience. All three grows I have done so far tasted a bit like chems because I didn't have the experience to judge precisely when the plants were ready for harvest. I am going to check with the magnifier tonight when the light cycle comes on and if the trichs are not all fully swelled maybe I'll :morenutes: again. But I have a feeling from what I'm seeing by eye that harvest is coming up in about 4-5 days.

Very nice plants you have there Potchimp. :goodjob:
4 or 5 days, don't they need at least 2 weeks still? Difficult to see indeed.

For my taste experience it helps a lot stopping nutes 2 or even better 3 weeks before harvesting.
But also from experience i noticed especially nitrogen giving sharpness to taste. So it's not a bad idea i think to stop adding N at least 3 weaks before harvest or even earlier. I had good harvest with just thick stems and only buds on them, hardly any leaves or even green leaves.

When keep adding nutes, the plant will use them, so they will indeed produce slightly more, but when plant is mature, it also has a lot of buffer sugars in leaves so that will also still give you budding plants.

The best taste for me was 2 to 3 weeks no fertilizers, only water, for whitish ash, no sharpness whatsoever and deep and full flavor and long lasting high.

Be careful with harversting them to late, because no matter if you keep adding nutrients, like P and K, they still will use sugars and resin beside soil nutrients to transform that energy into buds with less resin and more fiber, that's a growers choise, they high will diminish a bit.

Oh and the cal/mag, the magnesium part helps uptake of phosphorous, but calcium binds phosphorous. It should be advised, to only once a week (wk 3,4,5) to add the calcium/magnesium fertilizer and at that same time not adding any extra P, because chemically it will form calcium phosphate in the water/soil, so that phosphate as far as i know is not suited for uptake, unless they need the calcium also.
And worse case, i experienced, P shortages but the rest of nutes was excessively present. So not that much resin, less buds, and so on.

Thanks. I'm just going by the hair color, phdtje. Everything I've chopped so far looked like this about 5 days before harvest. According to the breeder it has a 45-55 day flowering period, which would mean chop day is 5-15 days away by their #'s. I'm wanting to get them down at 50% hair color change (that "more-of-a-Sativa-buzz" thing). I'll magnify tonight to get a better idea, but it's looking more like the low end of that time frame to me. Yeah, I switched back to distilled water so the only time I will use Cal-Mag is monthly now (along with a little dolomite lime with the soilless) in my future grows.

Flowering : Day 41
002745.JPG
004668.JPG

I tried to lean all the plants together but I'm still not getting good pics. I'll take a good pic of them all just before chop, though. Should get a few OZs out of the deal I hope. They might go a little longer than five days like you were saying, phdtje. Maybe I should test me a nug..... ;)

Maybe I should test me a nug.....
Are you kidding? That's what popcorn is for, right now. When the little buds kick your ass, you know that the top buds are even better. Then smile like Mona Lisa.

A sucky camera lets us see that you have big colas, and share your joy, Of course they look better to your eye, but all growers know that. Anybody who doesn't know what they look, smell, and feel like needs to grow some of their own.

Most of the shade leaves have yellowed on two of the plants and about half of the leaves likewise on the other three. One of the leads to the main double-colas broke. Maybe when I leaned them all for the pic, but the weight is causing a few of the colas to lean; probably a subconscious potchimp wanting to burn a doob so he broke a branch thing :). I stood it back up and it held when I leaned it the opposite way of the break, so I'll just leave it like that and see if its still standing in the morning.
I don't know about topping for two or four main colas anymore. It seems to have worked out okay on these except the stems on the two colas are weaker than one single main stem and the colas grow sideways from being topped so it looks like they will break if they get heavy. If it happens to another stem I will get string and tie the double colas against each other for these last few days (or week; at about maybe 30% color change in the hairs now). I'm also moving away from grow bags and going to pots.
I'll post more pics at the end before and after chop chop time..... :tokin:

Looking good PotChimp! Do you have an idea how many

days of flowering before you harvest the Pineapple Express?

My guess is about three more days, which would make it 47 days total (from 12/12 switch to chop). Dead on with Propa Gator's 6-7 week prediction.

I may run a personal experiment when I get my other two setups complete. What I'm wondering is how lower wattage lamps affect total flowering time. Cut ten clones from the same mother plant, put five under a 250 watt HPS and five under a 600 watt HPS all with exact temp control and measured nutes and see if there is a difference in hours of flowering time (if I read more I'd probably find out that this has been done and documented already).

Gonna be a tokin' PotChimp soon..... :thumb:

Gonna be a tokin' PotChimp soon.....:thumb:
I grow PE for friends, but prefer to smoke indica-dom medicine while working.
PE dazes me, and leaves me incompetant.
I have emotional issues that are quelled by small tokes of Blue Widow, or Pure Pakistani #18, ect.
My job is near impossible when I am in a rage phase.

My friends rave on about PE. Stone them, me, and you PotChimp :cheer:
Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women

Under the magnifier I don't count the areas that I can't focus on because they all have that opaque look. But when I get in focus on the trichs they reflect the exact same look as I judge by the hair color. About 40% in most areas on the tops. I watered the plants, and I think this watering will be the last time. They still seem to be getting a bit thicker, and if they keep doing that I will just let them keep going until they stop regardless of what I see under the magnifier. But even if I do that I still only see a few more days at best. Hell put aside all the technical stuff, how long does an annual plant live if all the leaves turn yellow and it starts falling down no matter how perfect you take care of it? Tuesday; Wednesday at the latest. And I'll be spending my Thanksgiving incompetently dazed. :)
Hope my Kwazulu or Auto Big Bangs cough up some smokeables before X-mas or its gonna be one silent night around the PotChimp residence..... :straightface:
That Pure Pakistani #18 sounds interesting. Sure wish I was one of the first seventeen test monkeys they tried it on!

I'll be taking those last before harvest pics tomorrow morning. Another branch leaned over and when I looked closer I saw a few of the secondary branches in the canopy were drooped almost completely upside down (the canopy was the only thing holding them up). I'm going to put them through the 24 hour dark period and give them the chop afterwards. That would be 47 days of 12/12. Think I'll eyeball me a lil' branch see if it amounts to a jay and burn me one..... :)

Back
Top Bottom