PotChimp's Tangerine Dream Soilless

Flowering : Day 35
002776.JPG
010445.JPG
012332.JPG

I am repeating the last week of the Blue Planet Farmer's Pride nutrient schedule at full strength 2 times a week at this point and just did before this pic. I tried half strength on this TD strain, but they are turning a bit yellow from nitrogen deficiency.

I've always counted days from my crop-plant's first night. I don't bank on seed bank claims.
My PEs are generally irresistable at 49, like a tub of buffalo wings on a tailgate :yummy:

I've never hit a grow within 6 days of their claims yet. I just chopped a Raspberry Cough this morning that was supposed to have another week or more (if you go by the # of days from the beginning of hairs showing). Maybe my doing the recommended 60% opaque 40% clear trichome harvest for the Sativa high is why my times are so different.

I don't count days from first pistle show, but from the timer 12s.
Your 'period' was more in line with SB claims, when counted this way?

When I keep my records here I go by first day of 12/12. I'm probably looking a lot closer than some people do (with a magnifier) when I determine first signs of flowering. The veg growth slows fast, and when I see a slight difference in that I call it started (3-4 days maybe? the pistils seem to take about a week or more before you can see them by eye). I seem to be closer with counting from 12/12, although because I am calling my "change" sooner than most, my times aren't that far off from 12/12.

As if Fate were listening and decided to place an example before me :
I went down for a magnifier check on my Panama plant this morning. It is 9 weeks and 1 day from the start of 12/12 on this Sativa grow today (I do my work at about the same time every day, so it should match up exactly in hours). I checked a smaller cola and saw 100% opaque trichs (?). The seed breeder for this strain says 11 weeks. I said, well I better not print that :) and started to look at the other colas. Not a clear trich head in sight. I said something else I'm not gonna print and started looking for male parts or seeds. I knew since I have hermiephobia from my first grow that I wasn't going to see them with this setup (I can take the plants out of the tent and inspect them), but I looked anyway. That's 13 days difference from the breeder's flowering time. It would have been more like 3 weeks from the first visual signs of flower. WTF?
I'll have some doobage for Christmas, though..... :xmas:

The triches will tell you when it's done, according to your preferred high... I know this one grower that has been at it for 20+ yrs, he harvests his stuff before the pistils even start to turn brown..

The change doesn't seem to be consistent timewise with different strains, and I was thinking a week or more, but in a few days the Raspberry Cough went from 5% to over 50% opaque trichs. I like doing the the 60% opaque thing, but I missed this one worse than the Air Force missed with the second bomb they dropped on Japan in WW2. The Wild Thailand has 100% clear trichs, but being a landrace strain it probably doesn't variate from the normal times like hybrid phenotypes. I harvest a few buds before brown pistils sometimes, but it's not a method; every once in a while a chimp tends to run out of weed. :tokin:

Flowering : Tangerine Dream - Auto Big Bang : Day 39
03764.JPG

The darker green plants are the ABBs.
03195.JPG
03286.JPG

Seems like they are coming along. I am thinking of going 70% on the nutes for the TDs. For some reason half strength seems a little too weak and full causes light leaf tip burn.
03664.JPG

Flowering : Day 43
Right side
007570.JPG

Left side
010450.JPG

These Auto Big Bangs are getting close, huh?
004698.JPG

But these Tangerine Dreams are a ways out yet.
005669.JPG

I'll mix up some nutes for the TDs tonight and I may flush the ABBs tomorrow. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..... :xmas:

EEEzay Potchimp, things looking great now bro! Your td are a lot better than mine man. Like the small cola shots, keep it up man.

Note : I gave all 3 Tangerine Dream plants nutes and put the 2 Auto Big Bangs into the 24 hour preharvest dark period. I doubt there's an ounce of weed between the two. I'll post the disappointing pics when they come out before I chop. I also decided to try a product called Exhale Homegrown CO2 in the grow closet. Tired of runnin' out of weed..... :blunt:

Not a very good yield, but as an auto strain they DID grow and flower using the GLR method.
GLR is for delayed flowering outdoors, isn't it? Autos don't need uninterupted dark to flower.
Are you surprised that short light hours yielded short weight?

At least they're frosted nicely :)

GLR is for delayed flowering outdoors, isn't it? Autos don't need uninterupted dark to flower.
Are you surprised that short light hours yielded short weight?

At least they're frosted nicely :)

I would imagine that GLR could be used in a number of ways, Propa Gator. One guess right off is greenhouse farmers using the 1 hour of light (interrupting the darkness to keep flowering from kicking in) to try to get a second short period crop in before Winter, or as you say to increase yield by putting off flowering by artificial means to let the plant get bigger. I am under the assumption that people here are using it to decrease electric bills, which is why I am conducting these homemade "experiments". As I've seen by these plants (the TDs), they seem to be right.

My question to myself was, "It's easy to deal with when I plan for space on a grow and only 3 of 5 seeds germinate. I can just plant 2 or 3 more and they will catch up if I plan right and the strains I pick are vigorous enough. But what if in week 4 a plant or 2 dies? Can I use autos to fill the space and get good results in the same time the others flower out?"

I guess my answer would be, "No. Under a low wattage light and short hours without CO2, autos do not do well. The extra room would be better used if I were to have just spread the 3 plants I have out further, increased the size of the grow pots, and possibly extended the veg period another week. If I had to fill in space in a 4' x 4'" tent running a 1000 watt lamp system I would probably do it if I had the seeds (and didn't have any other seeds to choose from)."

I haven't grown-out a cannabis plant from seed in many years. I cut more than I'll need and cull the runt(s), or keep a 'runt' under 24-7 light for a replacement donor plant.
I'll consider ruderalis hybrids when/if I successfully micropropagate.

If I grew only for my own personal needs, this grow could be an ideal model: Roadrunner 126 Watt LED Via DWC

Back
Top Bottom