Potential patio grow

BigBearNTexas

I have some Dutch Passion Auto Duck that I’m thinking of growing out side on the patio. The spot I’m thinking of gets great sun until noon and ten partial sun until late afternoon. Growing in my state involves trying to mitigate effects of full sun on pots, since too much heat dries them out and kind fry them easily. Also it’s partially covered by a small tree to protect it from flying eyes.

Suggestions on soil? Pot size will be about 10 gallon containers that have previously grown tomatoes.

@Amy Gardner @Grow2HealMe @SweetSue @Troy01 @Bonsaiweed

Any suggestions on doing soil in a pot outdoors?

I personally would try to put a screen over the top (think like window screen). That will cut the sun, and it's done on greenhouses in southern climates during the summer. It will knock down the intensity at midday the most. Or you could angle it, and have it knock down around 2:00 pm.

I would try to also cover the pot by putting a sheet around the stem and extending out to poles. It must breath where you do not create an oven. Imagine a tarp suspended with a tree going through the middle. Shade the roots and pot.

Only water about sunset (when the sun hits the horizon). That will give the roots time to dry out a little before dark, and not boil them at the hottest part of the day. If you can't water at sunset, then at night, or at sunrise. Sunrise is iffy if you overwater. The roots could be spaghetti very well done. <----- this all depends on the post used as well. If fabric pots you can water anytime, because of evaporation. Smart pots, you could water anytime if shaded with the tarp idea.

These are all just ideas. I know the screen works for greenhouse users do it. The rest are all ideas.

Hey Big Bear, good morning from the west coast, I have not grown outside so I will have to defer this question to the others. :)

I wasn’t sure if you had done an outdoor grow or not. :)

I personally would try to put a screen over the top (think like window screen). That will cut the sun, and it's done on greenhouses in southern climates during the summer. It will knock down the intensity at midday the most. Or you could angle it, and have it knock down around 2:00 pm.

I have trees to do shading from the worst heat of the day, so I think that will be fine.

I would try to also cover the pot by putting a sheet around the stem and extending out to poles. It must breath where you do not create an oven. Imagine a tarp suspended with a tree going through the middle. Shade the roots and pot.

Interesting idea. I hadn’t thought about using shade cloth in that way. Heavy mulch is key down here to keep Roots cool and from drying out. I was thinking about a self-wicking pot as well.

Only water about sunset (when the sun hits the horizon). That will give the roots time to dry out a little before dark, and not boil them at the hottest part of the day. If you can't water at sunset, then at night, or at sunrise. Sunrise is iffy if you overwater. The roots could be spaghetti very well done. <----- this all depends on the post used as well. If fabric pots you can water anytime, because of evaporation. Smart pots, you could water anytime if shaded with the tarp idea.

I don’t think a fabric pot will work here, they would dry out way too fast. I wonder about doing a double walled pot though, like the self-watering pots, would help keep the soil temp down.

Payday, so that means I spent more money on materials. Lol

Bought some supplies for outdoor: bags of compost, perlite, peat moss, and some coco coir. I was shocked to find the coco at Home Depot. Most everything they have that could be used to a cannabis grow is online only, or only available in legal states.

I’ve got a bag of beneficial micros from DrEarth already, and that will go in. Maybe also some Osmocote+.

I also bought a garbage can for mixing up my soil.

I’m going to recharge all my pots for the vegetables as well as make some self-wicking pots for the cannabis.

I think the patio grow will be my Dutch Passion Auto Duck.

I also bought some okra to grow as camouflage plants. :)

The pots have been ready for two weeks, just waiting on the seedlings to grow a bit larger. I typically transplant at three weeks, so that’s the plan for next weekend.

I may look around to see if I have any hardware cloth to make covers for the seedlings to protect against birds and squirrels. I fear putting them out and then having them dig up or eaten before they get large.

Hey Bear sorry I missed this at the beginning. If you haven't finalized your planters yet a self watering/swick setup could have merit. My thought would be a sub irrigated planter type setup. Drain tile in the bottom of a tote with a packed soil or vermiculite wick. Kind of like a hempy bucket you get a reservoir but the roots don't have direct access to the water preventing bonsai's roots'ghetti scenario. You include a watering port often a piece of 3/4 PVC through the medium into the tile and an overflow hole to prevent waterlogging the medium if your in an area that gets rain and to allow flushing it out.

Sorry kinda ran on a tangent there.

@TurboBucket i thought about doing one of those wicking pots, even bought the PVC for the watering hole. Decided that I didn’t like the way the buckets I have stacked for that style, so I’m going to run hempy outdoors with a soil, peat, compost, and perlite mix. I’ve got plenty of nutes to augment feeding when needed.

Some of these SIP setups with recirculating reservoirs look really cool. I initially wanted to go aeroponic but I love the taste from soil plants. I think those would give a nice blend of the two, reduced water nute consumption from standard dwc/ebb n flow while allowing for a complex soil web in an automated or low input setup.

Crap!!!!

I don’t think my Auto Ducks have the duck mutation.

That going to throw off my plans for the summer outdoor grow. I was hoping for stealth plants.

One of those is a CBD Crack, and three are Auto Duck. They look identical and like regular cannabis plants.

I was going to make a village idiot joke on another thread, glad you went there first. Lol

The duckfoot mutation causes the individual fan leaves to merge with each other to create one webbed leaf that has three points like a duck footprint.

I see...... thanks for the simple explanation. I wouldn't have gotten a complicated one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom