Powder Mildew help, Please!

mychelle2701

My husband and I have been growing our own for a little while (year or so) and this is the first time we are having a really hard time with the powder mildew. Our current harvest just came down, and we are buying a humidifier for the next batch since it is too humid. My question though is what to do with the bud that has mildew. The mildew is mainly on the water leaves and not the bud itself. My husband seems to think if we trim off all the leaves affected by it we can still smoke it. I on the other hand am not too sure its safe to smoke at all. I cant seem to find a straight answer to this anywhere. I know smoking mold isnt good, but if we trim it all off is it ok then? We dont have the proper items to make it into hash and dont really want to go spend a lot of money to make it. If we trim the bud really well can we still smoke it? Would vaping it be a better way than smoking it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I wouldn't smoke it. Since I have respitory problems such as ashtma the last thing I need to do is be putting mold/mildew into my lungs. There are some reports that some people have gotten infection from moldy/mildew buds so be very careful. I had moldy crop once so I went ahead and used it for cooking. I don't know if this is smart but I didn't get sick off it.

CGs

1 part skim milk to 9 parts distilled water will make an effective anti-fungal spray that kills the PM on contact. This won't harm the plants and is of course non-toxic.

PM is a BIG PROBLEM up here in the Sierra Nevada where I live so it is a constant battle. (It lurks in the forest behind our house in the natural ground cover plants) If you can keep the tendrils off the buds by spraying, you can still smoke them. It is OK to spray the buds directly but adjust the nozzle to a stream so that you can focus the solution only on the areas showing the PM.

PM actually infects the plant from the inside out, so the only way to eradicate PM is by destroying the infected plant. But since only the visible powder is harmful for consumption, what you don't see won't hurt you.

Most outdoor grows as well as a large percentage of indoor ones are infected with the PM fungus. Its just that most growers don't know their plants are infected. It only shows itself if given the right conditions, but the fungal spores are airborne and are everywhere, so unfortunately most Cannabis crops are hosts to the fungi.

I've actually posted a "PM specific overview in my Grow Journal" complete with microscope photos of what that powder actually looks like close up!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom