Powdery Mildew: It's only a plant problem

Oldgrowth

One sees on this forum and else where admonitions not to use herb that's shown powder mildew. It is a problem for your plants naturally, plants are a host for it. It has evolved to attach to its plant hosts not humans. I've never lost a plant or even a significant portion infected in my outside grows. When I consume the herb that has been dried, cured and heated to vape or make edibles. The mildew, in my experience, is not a problem. Doesn't the product of your hard work deserve a bit of research and thinking before you dump the lot of it?

One sees on this forum and else where admonitions not to use herb that's shown powder mildew. It is a problem for your plants naturally, plants are a host for it. It has evolved to attach to its plant hosts not humans. I've never lost a plant or even a significant portion infected in my outside grows. When I consume the herb that has been dried, cured and heated to vape or make edibles. The mildew, in my experience, is not a problem. Doesn't the product of your hard work deserve a bit of research and thinking before you dump the lot of it?

First, let me say that most everyone who's smoked MMJ for any period of time has likely smoked all kinds of things we shouldn't be smoking including PM, mites, pesticides, manure/guano, fish emulsions, etc. but I wouldn't consider the fact that we're still living evidence that it's "no problem".

Smoking or vaping herb that has PM can lead to lung infections, bronchitis, and other lung problems, especially in people with decreased immune systems.

While it may be OK for use in topicals, I would NEVER recommend ANYONE smoke PM-infected weed if they can possibly avoid it; and certainly as a medicine (as opposed to recreation) you want it as clean & pure as possible.

:Namaste:

So much of what one sees here is opinion based on opinion based on opinion. Perhaps you base your opinions on experience Mr. Krip which is A-OK with me but there's also a basis in science. Evolution is a good place to start and powdery mildew has evolved as a plant pathogen that likes cannabis among many the others that may be in your garden. And this from a plant scientist in Iowa: "The fungi, bacteria, viruses, and nematodes that cause disease in plants are very different from those that cause disease in humans and other animals. Eating or touching an infected plant would not infect us with the same pathogen that is making the plant sick." My reasoning started here then went looking for the plant science to conform. Can Sick Plants Make People Sick? | Horticulture and Home Pest News

So much of what one sees here is opinion based on opinion based on opinion. Perhaps you base your opinions on experience Mr. Krip which is A-OK with me but there's also a basis in science. Evolution is a good place to start and powdery mildew has evolved as a plant pathogen that likes cannabis among many the others that may be in your garden. And this from a plant scientist in Iowa: "The fungi, bacteria, viruses, and nematodes that cause disease in plants are very different from those that cause disease in humans and other animals. Eating or touching an infected plant would not infect us with the same pathogen that is making the plant sick." My reasoning started here then went looking for the plant science to conform. Can Sick Plants Make People Sick? | Horticulture and Home Pest News

I would agree with this 420%!

PM would not effect humans or make them sick the way PM makes plants sick; and plant diseases are typically not transferred to humans any more than your dog gets sick when you have the flu.

IMHO, diseased plants can, however, make us sick in different ways, and inhaling mold spores is one of the things that make humans sick. We don't get PM (like the plant does), but we do get lung infections (which the plant does not!). ;)

Mr. Krip, thank you for your thoughts. I cure 2 months and then I consume in edibles or vape well cooked in a Volcano. The temperatures should kill the mold. The biggest danger if any methinks is likely when one strips off sun leaves when trimming. I guess to be extra careful one might wear a mask for protection.

First, let me say that most everyone who's smoked MMJ for any period of time has likely smoked all kinds of things we shouldn't be smoking including PM, mites, pesticides, manure/guano, fish emulsions, etc. but I wouldn't consider the fact that we're still living evidence that it's "no problem".

Smoking or vaping herb that has PM can lead to lung infections, bronchitis, and other lung problems, especially in people with decreased immune systems.

Are these listed hazards based on scientific studies? I just perused Google Scholar & couldn't find any scientific papers on the health hazards of smoking plants with powdery mildew...

Are these listed hazards based on scientific studies? I just perused Google Scholar & couldn't find any scientific papers on the health hazards of smoking plants with powdery mildew...

Try researching the hazards of inhaling mold spores and look into what mycotoxins and endotoxins are. ;)

Try researching the hazards of inhaling mold spores and look into what mycotoxins and endotoxins are. ;)
I was wondering about PM specifically. I know that a wide variety of fungi pose health problems, but just as there's vastly dif. effects from eating galerina v. crimini, I'd expect that black mold spores couild have much dif. effects than PM.

I was wondering about PM specifically. I know that a wide variety of fungi pose health problems, but just as there's vastly dif. effects from eating galerina v. crimini, I'd expect that black mold spores couild have much dif. effects than PM.

I am NOT aware of any research done specifically on PM but understand enough about mold to NOT want to recommend anyone smoke mold-infected medicine unless/until science proves it's safe, and to be honest, I only trust the science so much since, as we all get smarter, they keep changing it!

My point is simple...

I don't have any issues with anyone wanting to smoke PM. If that's your thing, go for it with all the best wishes from me.

But, when one claims that it's safe, on a site with numerous medical users, the challenge should not be for everyone to prove the claimant wrong. It should be for the claimant to supply very strong evidence showing that it is, in fact, safe!

My original post was suggesting that simply being alive after ingesting some substance in some unstated quantity is not a true scientific indication that the substance is safe for everyone to ingest in unspecified quantities. So, I felt compelled to at least provide an alternate point of view where there is some sound science to back it up.

I am NOT aware of any research done specifically on PM but understand enough about mold to NOT want to recommend anyone smoke mold-infected medicine unless/until science proves it's safe, and to be honest, I only trust the science so much since, as we all get smarter, they keep changing it!

My point is simple...

I don't have any issues with anyone wanting to smoke PM. If that's your thing, go for it with all the best wishes from me.

But, when one claims that it's safe, on a site with numerous medical users, the challenge should not be for everyone to prove the claimant wrong. It should be for the claimant to supply very strong evidence showing that it is, in fact, safe!

My original post was suggesting that simply being alive after ingesting some substance in some unstated quantity is not a true scientific indication that the substance is safe for everyone to ingest in unspecified quantities. So, I felt compelled to at least provide an alternate point of view where there is some sound science to back it up.
I'm actually interested info specific to PM because I took an organic master gardener course a coupla years back. On the topic of PM (for usual garden plants, not cannabis), the instructor said that while cutting out afflicted parts of plants would slow PM, nothing can stop it in the PNW because it's so ubiquitous.

I'll never forget him saying that when it rains here in the summer, it literally rains PM because there's so much of it in the air.

That's a tough place to grow and makes for the smartest growers IMHO. I have no such self delusions growing in the perfect sun. I learn so much from those who face different challenges elsewhere. My first experience was in N. New England where it was different as well. Next year I hope to learn a bit more about pest control since I'm growing White Widow and GG4.

That ^^^

yes we fight it off for the most part (athelete's foot is a thing) at some expense. Imagine those same toxins in your gut. It can be very difficult to get rid of once those molds take hold, as it is in plants.

PM is the last thing our outdoor garden plants get right before they die in the fall.

Just because we aren't a plant doesn't make us any different than plants biologically. All the same principals apply. Same with chemistry and physics.

Remember humans are 90% bacteria. Its best to keep the good ones in charge. Same with plants and soil. Food for thought.

Being from a area that constantly has very high humidity levels during the outdoor harvesting season I was taught many years ago that pre-flowering preventive pest and fungi control is a necessity especially when it comes to cultivating cannabis for medical usage. What most people don't know is that most of all the original landrace cannabis strains where naturally immune to over 80+ different molds and mildews and they were also naturally protected from 30+ bugs and pests. But today that has all changed, as those same molds, mildews, bugs and pest that once couldn't harm most cannabis plants now can wreak havoc on most of them. What has caused all this... man! A lot has to do with our crossing, breeding, and inbreeding practices, but yes other things have also contributed to it, like extreme environment fluctuations, or other simple things have also contributed to it, like when we grow and breed cannabis plants in a different region than where they originated on this earth. So that's why I believe what I was taught long ago, that pre-flowering preventive pest and fungi control is a necessity as no one should ever be treating their plants to control pests and fungus with anything during the flowering phase of their cannabis plants development.

Back
Top Bottom