Powdery mildew :( prune some or not

silverrocksta

Hi guy's,
I have an oh god bud plant outside it is about 3.5 weeks into flower. We recently had our first of many to come rain storms and this morning there was a heavy dew. The plant is very leafy and lots of leaves touching each other and the buds. Today well tending to her in some of her deepest thickest spots I found some mildew. I immediately plucked infected leaves off. I have heard to always leave outdoor fan leaves on, but there are tons of them and tons of smaller leaves too. I don't want to slow down flowering by pruning or harm the production, but I also don't want to lose it to mold. Another plus for pruning is there are so many buds covered by all the leaf. What should I do?

Here's some pics if it will help
IMG_20130825_123239_003.jpg
IMG_20130825_123254_089.jpg
IMG_20130825_123245_996.jpg
IMG_20130825_123213_976.jpg
IMG_20130825_123226_865.jpg

never done outside, but I would say if your picking a few leaves off of that plant that it will not really hurt it. To defoliate your plant to let more light in some people say will increase bud production as your letting more light in to the bud sites.. ON the other hand defoliating also stresses the plant. It seems to be a personal issue for most people. Read a few threads on it and base your own opinions, but if your only taking a few, I would say have at 'er.

They look good to me. I would try to get some of the denseness in the lower middle part of the canopy out to keep the air flowing through.

Defoliating should be practiced mostly in an indoor grow. Outdoors there is always a little defoliating going on but never too much. since the sun moves over the plant through the day it gets light to all sides creating the monster bushes.

good luck

Thanks guys. I have read tons on it but just didn't really know what to believe. Most say to never remove outdoor leaves unless more than half the leaf is yellow or dead but others say its good to let the sun hit buds. This was my first outside and I usually defoliate inside at least once most of the time 3 times.

welcome to 420, their is a solution you can buy that sns sell that helps with pm, their is also a milk solution you can mix up that stops pm problems, but search about it to find the correct doses,

but the main reason it happens is due to bad air flow, as your outdoors you cant control this very much, if you think your going to have lots more rain then this wont be good for the plant or the buds so id make a cover to keep the rain off but still let the light through, a sort of plastic roof over it to stop the rain getting on it would help, i know its not easy to do but it would prevent further problems due to the rain, but then you have the humidity to deal with, if you have 2 leaves resting on each other then this will cause the leaves to sweat, if it was me id prefer to remove some leaves and know i wont have pm issues where as leaving it will possible cause more pm issues,

but its all about air flow, if you got plenty of air flow you wont have pm issues, its when leaves are packed in and the air cant move around that you will have problems,

or instead of removing leaves use some low stress training, get some string and open the plant up with string, pull the plant open, tie string to some of the branches and stake them in the ground so its pulling the plant more open allowing more air to move around, this will also help light get on the lower branches and inner branches

Thanks for stopping in donpaul I had already made up the tent cover with some plastic used for insulation. The plant has been trained but all the branches off my main branches have filled it in so much. I removed probably 50 leaves and she seems to be a lot better. The weather here turned from amazing to crap overnight and doesn't look like its gonna be an easy last month. Thanks for your advice makes me feel I'm on the right track with her. +rep

cool no worries, plus as admin just mentioned out sponsors carry some great products which are proven to work, if they didnt then the wouldnt be sponsors, most growers will buy their products from the sponors so theirs plenty of options for you to try, we also have some amazing nutrients and soil mixes with our sponsors as well,

to find the list of all the sponsors go to top of page and hold your mouse icon over grow room, then the sponsors list is the 3rd option down, you can find everything you need their from seeds to drying nets,

Back
Top Bottom