Powdery mildew?

got some bud that has powdery mildew, can I smoke it? Will it hurt me?

Yes. Maybe, but probably not. :loopy:
I may get a lot of crap for this, but I've never seen a legit study that says PM is toxic or even slightly harmful to us. Some people can be sensitive, or have allergies, to any number of things. Personally I won't smoke it, but I've never wanted or needed to. There are planty of molds out there that are toxic, but humans cannot be infected by PM.

BTW, :welcome: to :420:

Our immune system can be remarkably effective in ridding our bodies of foreign substances and microbiological threats. For patients with a compromised immune system, I would not recommend knowingly indulging in buds that are known to either have had botrytis or powder mold. Fungal infection of the lungs would be of great concern when inhaling these substances, as there are many types of fungal infections that can occur when the immune system fails to function properly.

Additionally, there are several different species of these molds, each of which have different phenotypes within them. Based on the phenotype and exact species of the mold, it would also be of concern whether they have the ability to produce certain classes of toxins. People who are vulnerable to these toxins are usually people with compromised immune systems. However, if the concentration of spores entering the body overwhelms the immune system response capability, an infection does have a non-zero probability of occurring.

If the patient is a strong and healthy individual, then there is less probability...

Yet another important reason why we strive to wash our buds at harvest time :circle-of-love: :volcano-smiley:

I'm a firm believer in everything stated above, but I'm one of those idiots who can say I tried it :laughtwo: It was a long time ago and I just had to know dang it. Trust me on this one it's ruined for smoking from a flavor standpoint alone. You could wash it and make edibles. I don't think I would risk the flavor of an extraction by itself.

:Namaste:

Ask Ed: Questions and Answers – Powdery Mildew Infested Medicine

By Ed Rosenthal, Cannabis Culture on December 28, 2010

Question: Dear Ed,

I have a question about powdery mildew. My last crop, grown indoors in an 8’x 8′ growing area, 1000w HPS light, intake and exhaust fans and an oscillating fan, became severely infected with powdery mildew. I sprayed with Serenade every few days but to no avail. I have harvested all of the crop but don’t know what to do now.

I want to salvage as much as I can and have been reading Ask Ed Marijuana Gold: Trash to Stash and Marijuana Grower’s Handbook and I can’t find anything that says if it is okay to make butter out of the infected flowers. I have read that making bubble hash concentrate will remove the spores so I have started doing that but would also like to make some butter for edibles.

Your answer to that question would really help me out a lot. I do not want to ingest or have any patients that I supply for ingest something that could make them sick and need a solid answer before I do it.

Any suggestions?

Donna W.

Ed’s Rosenthal: Dear Donna W.,

The powdery mildew spores germinate in temperatures between 65-75 F (18-24 C) in a lightly acidic environment and humidity as low as 45%. Once they germinate they can survive a broader range of temperatures. Unfortunately these are much of the same conditions plants prefer. In the future, try a sulphur burner to prevent the powdery mildew. Additionally, UVC lights will be available for commercial use soon, which are effective in killing the spores.

When I come in contact with a powdery mildew infestation, I like to use a milk-potassium bicarbonate spray to get rid of it.

Any kind of water hash process will remove mildew and fungus spores from glands. This concentrate can be used for smoking, vaporizing and cooking edibles.

Using a dry sift method (making kief) does not separate the spores from glands, so it should not be used with infected material.

Back
Top Bottom