Power Generators *** Does anyone use?

wtfruthinking

I'm not looking to cut cost on my bill but to stay off the grid. Just wondering if anyone currently uses a power generator and what kind you would recommend. Like I said.. just looking to stay off the grid and not have the power company question why my bill is damn high. I've been looking at silent generators. Currently using 600 hps and 400 watt T5. Any opinions/comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

:thanks:

These are my thoughts, but they probably aren't what you're looking for I thought to let someone who actually uses a generator answer but I doubt there are many that do unless they're using over 5000 lighting-watts per month (as in a large commercial installation). After your second post I figured I'd reply.

If you think your electric bill is high, try running a generator for 12-18 hours a day, every day.

If the electric company is questioning "why your bill is high," you're running a lot more than 360 kWh (not counting ballast losses) of lighting a month. At 14.25 cents/kWh that's $51.30 (I don't know your electric rate so I guessed) per month. With the aforementioned ballast losses, fans, hydro pumps, probably 8-15% (guessing) extra a/c load to offset the heat, it still ought to be under $100/month extra.

I lived in a small 2BR apartment and ran two 1Kw HPS and one 400-watt MH for a while years back. Never had any issues (with the electric company). I paid my bill on time and they happily cashed my checks every time.

These days, computer power supplies routinely draw over 500 watts, big plasma televisions have a voracious appetite, and every child seems to have one of each in their bedroom instead of a baseball bat and glove.

If you're worried about someone thinking your electric bill is suspicious... aren't you worried about an internal-combustion engine's exhaust running for large periods on a regular schedule? Add in the heat generated by one and I'd think you would be trading a non-problem for a problem.

Then again, I don't know your situation. If you live in a small 1BR apartment and the electric bill is paid by your landlord, then I could see having concerns over a small amount of power. But in that case it'd be a lot more feasible to say, "Mr. Jones, I just bought a big tv/computer/freezer/Jacuzzi/whatever and the salesman told me that my electric bill would be going up x dollars a month. Show me the first higher bill and I'll start making the checks out for that much more each time," then to stick a generator in your closet (actually, that's not safe; plan on installing it outside or paying a bundle for one rated for interior installation).

Have you thought about economizing your NON-cannabis electrical usage? If you have an electric dryer/range/water heater, those things cost way more than a couple lights. Switch to gas if possible; if not, go to the laundry mat. Or buy a nice HE front-loading washer that spins at 1000-1200 RPM and not only will it be cheaper to run, it'll also cut your drying time. And that's not even taking the good old clothes line into account. And go with cheap-running CFLs or better still, LEDs for lighting.

Or just cruise by the appliance/electronics store on delivery day, get a box from some device that uses a lot of electricity, and stick it outside by your meter, lol, and not worry about it.

I don't power my grow with a generator but I have a small (3.5K) propane fueled generator hooked to a manual transfer switch for backup in case of a power outage.

My grow operation, consists of two 400W MH/HPS lamps and the associated pumps and fans.

I need a backup because we are in an area that gets severe storms and frequent power outages. They don't usually last longer than a few hours, but that is more than enough to upset things.

A couple of years ago we had a power outage that lasted almost two weeks. That was an eye opener to folks who use gas or diesel powered generators because it was difficult to get fuel because the pumps were also down.

My generator is not for powering the whole house, but it lets me keep the grow operation running, have lights in the house, watch TV, use the computer, and keep the refrigerator running as long as I don't do it all at the same time.

For heating, cooking, and hot water, which are also electric, we use portable propane devices during an outage.

Tortured Soul----Thank you very much for replying and putting things into perspective for me. I live in a house. My bill is approx $400-$450 a month. Thank god I already have the front loading washer!! You're absolutely right.. I guess I just needed someone to kick me in the head to wake up. I'm paying about $100 on average more then normal. I heart you.. and so thankful you took the time to clarify. I currently use T5 in the veg room and thinking of possibly switching to CFL. Another thing I guess I will have to read up on but if it will save some $$ then it's definitely worth it. I'm sure I'll be needing a swift kick to the head on many other issues I'll be running into... Hope its from you!

:thanks:

PTG- Thanks for replying. Not a bad idea. Different outlook on things. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I would hate for things to go south just because of a power outage which happens here too. Thanks again. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom