PPM drop after adding liquid Koolbloom?

Sonman

Hi, I was mixing up negs nutes and ppm was 1200(120x10) and after adding liquid koolbloom it dropped to 850. Does that mean my liquid koolbloom is bad. It happens when I add it to the base 3 nutrients every time and I suspect it must be binding with other nutrients and settling . Is this a known issue? I add my base flora series one at a time starting with a little cal mag. ( I heard you should start with that one) and following the bottle guide. I even cut liquid koolbloom portion down to 1/3. I never picked up on it first time and I think it locked out my nutes and slowed growth till I changed it out. Anyone have bad experiences with that? I'm on my first grow and just finished second week of flower and blooms are not really out yet. Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking I'm just going to toss the liquid koolbloom . Or should I be using something else for the general series to boost blooms a little.at this point I dont want to ruin the harvest

I checked this morning while mixing my next batch of nutrients. It's for the Bloom and Ripen stage. The addition of every nutrient and supplement caused the EC/TDS to rise. Here are the values I measured:

Description
Amount
PPM
EC
Water
18l​
14​
29​
CALiMAGic
5.4ml​
78​
153​
Flora Micro
14.3ml​
326​
652​
Flora Grow
7.1ml​
357​
715​
Flora Bloom
21.4ml​
503​
1012​
Liquid KoolBloom
6.8ml​
534​
1070​
Floralicious Plus
1.4ml​
539​
1079​

I checked this morning while mixing my next batch of nutrients. It's for the Bloom and Ripen stage. The addition of every nutrient and supplement caused the EC/TDS to rise. Here are the values I measured:

Description
Amount
PPM
EC
Water
18l​
14​
29​
CALiMAGic
5.4ml​
78​
153​
Flora Micro
14.3ml​
326​
652​
Flora Grow
7.1ml​
357​
715​
Flora Bloom
21.4ml​
503​
1012​
Liquid KoolBloom
6.8ml​
534​
1070​
Floralicious Plus
1.4ml​
539​
1079​

Hey Salt

Is that always the order you add nutes

If so, I hear add calimagic 1st, unless using Silica then it 1st, but why calmag 1st

Is that always the order you add nutes
My order is always CALiMAGic, core nutrients, then supplements, as I don't use Armor SI.

but why calmag 1st
That's what GH recommends, so not having read anything to the contrary I follow their recommendation. The concentrated CALiMAGic may bind with the other nutrients, but I don't know that as being factual.

My order is always CALiMAGic, core nutrients, then supplements, as I don't use Armor SI.

That's what GH recommends, so not having read anything to the contrary I follow their recommendation. The concentrated CALiMAGic may bind with the other nutrients, but I don't know that as being factual.
Copy

I'll change up then

I've heard it too but never was sure why, and if GH says even before micro then I'm changing

Graciass my friend

Oh and I'm sold on Power Si now, blows all the other Silica I've tried away, well it appears too ..lol

Under Nutrient Questions on their website, General Hydroponics recommends:
  • Always start with a reservoir filled with water, then add the concentrated nutrients one by one.
  • When using both Armor Si and CALiMAGic, add Armor Si to the reservoir first.
  • When using Armor Si and/or CALiMAGic, with Flora Series, these products should be added prior to adding FloraMicro.
  • It is best to begin by adding FloraMicro, stirring well, and then adding FloraGro and/or FloraBloom. If both FloraGro and FloraBloom are used, add one, stir well, then add the other.
  • Never mix the nutrients together in their concentrated form, as this will cause nutrient "lock-out" making some minerals unavailable.
I've re-arranged what they have in their article so that the nutrients and supplements are in the order they should be added. I haven't been stirring well between nutrients. I shoot them into different areas of my reservoir, then mix everything together with a long wine maker's spoon into which I drilled several 3/8" holes. I could use a stainless steel paint mixer running slowly while I'm adding the nutrients, but I'm too lazy to set that up. ;)

Under Nutrient Questions on their website, General Hydroponics recommends:
  • Always start with a reservoir filled with water, then add the concentrated nutrients one by one.
  • When using both Armor Si and CALiMAGic, add Armor Si to the reservoir first.
  • When using Armor Si and/or CALiMAGic, with Flora Series, these products should be added prior to adding FloraMicro.
  • It is best to begin by adding FloraMicro, stirring well, and then adding FloraGro and/or FloraBloom. If both FloraGro and FloraBloom are used, add one, stir well, then add the other.
  • Never mix the nutrients together in their concentrated form, as this will cause nutrient "lock-out" making some minerals unavailable.
I've re-arranged what they have in their article so that the nutrients and supplements are in the order they should be added. I haven't been stirring well between nutrients. I shoot them into different areas of my reservoir, then mix everything together with a long wine maker's spoon into which I drilled several 3/8" holes. I could use a stainless steel paint mixer running slowly while I'm adding the nutrients, but I'm too lazy to set that up. ;)
Great info :thumb::headbanger:

I'm mixing some Hempy nutes now

Have a spare air hose from my pump and using it to mix

Power Si is in, calimagic is next

Cool cool cool

Didnt know of Floralicious til recently mentioned. Seems there's a two-part Grow/Bloom humic acid and Phosphate/Potash supplement from GH in addition to Floralicious Plus.

DiamondNectar has 1% Phosphate / Potash and only 0.01% humic acids. The nute schedule I'm using recommends mixing it in all the way through grow, and start adding KoolBloom as well (10% Phosphate / Potash and no humic acid) during bloom stage. Doesn't make mention of Floralicious anything though.

Floralicious Plus (2% humic acid, 20% sea kelp)

Floralicious Grow (2% humic acid, but no 20% sea kelp)

Floralicious Bloom (only 1% humic acid, weird..)

Gathering from this is GH suggests you load up the medium with humic acids (2%) during veg then back off a little (1%) in bloom..... but there's no 20% sea kelp in floralicious grow/bloom... so wth... floralicious plus sounds way better.
Maybe floralicious grow/bloom and a separate sea kelp additive would be good :idea:

Didnt know of Floralicious til recently mentioned. Seems there's a two-part Grow/Bloom humic acid and Phosphate/Potash supplement from GH in addition to Floralicious Plus.

DiamondNectar has 1% Phosphate / Potash and only 0.01% humic acids. The nute schedule I'm using recommends mixing it in all the way through grow, and start adding KoolBloom as well (10% Phosphate / Potash and no humic acid) during bloom stage. Doesn't make mention of Floralicious anything though.

Floralicious Plus (2% humic acid, 20% sea kelp)

Floralicious Grow (2% humic acid, but no 20% sea kelp)

Floralicious Bloom (only 1% humic acid, weird..)

Gathering from this is GH suggests you load up the medium with humic acids (2%) during veg then back off a little (1%) in bloom..... but there's no 20% sea kelp in floralicious grow/bloom... so wth... floralicious plus sounds way better.
Maybe floralicious grow/bloom and a separate sea kelp additive would be good :idea:

I have Floralicious Grow and Plus. I bought a quart of each during my first grow, enough to last a lifetime. Floralicious Bloom was not available at that time. I have no idea if they do anything at all for the plants. I also use Rapid Start.

Don't ever forget that all corporations are out to sell as much product as possible. The claims they make may only be worth as much as the paper they're written on for use in the outhouse.

I have Floralicious Grow and Plus. I bought a quart of each during my first grow, enough to last a lifetime. Floralicious Bloom was not available at that time. I have no idea if they do anything at all for the plants. I also use Rapid Start.

Don't ever forget that all corporations are out to sell as much product as possible. The claims they make may only be worth as much as the paper they're written on for use in the outhouse.

I think humic (and fulvic) acid have some benefit since they're mixed into fertilizers and come in 50lb bags!

It's odd the GH formula's humic acid drops from 2% in veg to 1% in bloom. But I guess it kind of makes sense. Seeing as the plant's are all done with the hard part (vegging out), and the rest is simpler work - growing some buds.

awesome, thanks for that, mine is definitely binding with something and gone bad. I use all the same nutes except floralicious. I mix in a 5 gal bucket one nute at a time and mix and in the same order. Every time my nutes drop a few hundred ppm when adding liquid cool bloom. Unless they put something else in and it's not what it supposed to be at all. I do know it smells like children's flinstones vitamins.haha. Other possibility is something else is bad. I know I do find that flora bloom nutes are very acidic. Now that I follow bloom I notice ph is almost 4.5 after all mixed. I have to ph up way more than I did before with a fresh batch weekly.

awesome, thanks for that, mine is definitely binding with something and gone bad. I use all the same nutes except floralicious. I mix in a 5 gal bucket one nute at a time and mix and in the same order. Every time my nutes drop a few hundred ppm when adding liquid cool bloom. Unless they put something else in and it's not what it supposed to be at all. I do know it smells like children's flinstones vitamins.haha. Other possibility is something else is bad. I know I do find that flora bloom nutes are very acidic. Now that I follow bloom I notice ph is almost 4.5 after all mixed. I have to ph up way more than I did before with a fresh batch weekly.

You are right, somethings wrong. My pH for this solution is about 6.6, and I drop it to 6.2. Here's my schedule at 1/3 strength:
full

Today I mixed a fresh batch @50% and I left my water out to declorinate an extra 2 days. It made a huge difference!
Water 5 gal bucket. Starting ppm 77
Cal mag 1 tsp ppm 141
3 tsp flora grow ppm 238
9 tsp flora bloom ppm 449
6 tsp flora micro ppm 683
4 tsp koolbloom ppm 749
Ph without adjustment landed at a perfect 5.8 for my dwc.
I'm stumped. I wouldent think chlorinated water would screw it up that bad. It's the same source from the tap. I just let it set longer. I know my city water is bad but never thought it would be that different. To leave it out 2 extra days. I'm thinking nutes bind with chlorine or whatever else they put in my water supply.

Back
Top Bottom