Practical Problems To Legalizing Pot

420 Warrior

Former Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox admitted Friday he smoked pot when he was in high school during the 1970s.

But during a symposium on the impact of marijuana reform, Cox stressed there are practical problems in legalizing marijuana, and that's why he wouldn't support changes some activists in Michigan are seeking.

"I am not for it, mostly because I don't know how you regulate common, everyday things such as driving while impaired," said Cox, a Republican. "If it becomes legal, I don't think I'll ever use it again.

"That being said, philosophically I am not against it. They haven't come up with a good way to regulate in the work place or driving to measure it and deal with it."

Cox was the keynote speaker at a daylong symposium on the social, economic, health and legal impacts of marijuana reform, held at Wayne State University.

During his speech, Cox said the Michigan Legislature needs to step up and address the ambiguities of the 2008 medical marijuana law, provide for dispensaries and create a registry. He also said there is not enough honest dialogue about marijuana in the country.

"Intoxicants are hard to talk about," he said after his speech. "We have so many problems with alcohol and we don't talk honestly about that. It's going to be hard to talk about a similar drug."

Many in the audience embraced his approach.

"It was refreshing to hear a realistic perspective," said Jamie Lowell, founder of 3rd Coast Compassion Center, a dispensary in Ypsilanti.

Friday's event was held as activists have launched a petition drive to ask voters to approve a constitutional amendment that would legalize marijuana for residents older than 21. The drive by the Committee for Safer Michigan will need 322,609 signatures by July 9 to put the question on the November ballot.

Matthew Abel, campaign director, says the effort has recruited nearly 2,000 volunteers across Michigan.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette contends the drive is a way to legalize drugs.

legalizeusa.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Detroit News
Author: Kim Kozlowski
Copyright: 2012 The Detroit News

We need to know where to sign the petition in the Big Rapids/ Mt. Pleasant area! If I could volunteer I would, but my Dyslexia might cause a problem. I would be willing to help set up for a few hours but can't leave the sick hubby for more then that.

Could you imagine Michigan being able to legalize it? I really wish if someone knew where these people were with the petitions to let others know. I want/need to sign one.

Could you imagine Michigan being able to legalize it? I really wish if someone knew where these people were with the petitions to let others know. I want/need to sign one.

Why don't you contact/e-mail the website in the source info of this news thread?

Maybe they can let you know more info? IDK?

Do some google searching for it and bring it back here for everyone, once you do find it...Cool?

Why don't you contact/e-mail the website in the source info of this news thread?

Maybe they can let you know more info? IDK?

Do some google searching for it and bring it back here for everyone, once you do find it...Cool?

Yeah, good idea and here's what i found!

https://help.repealtoday.org/#petition

this will give you the law, reason for the ballot initiative( like we need one lol), and even locations to sign the ballot.

So get out there everyone, and let's get this thing going! :cheer:

mike cox, just one more hypocrite! he smoked weed and became AG yet others sit in prison for the same thing! what an ASS HOLE!

mike cox, just one more hypocrite! he smoked weed and became AG yet others sit in prison for the same thing! what an ASS HOLE!

I agree!

However don`t be so set in wanting it to be `legal` that you are willing to allow your Goverment to Regulate, Control and Tax what should be free choise and a God given right!:

I guess no one is watching and listening.... from what I have seen where the powers that be are in control more harm comes to our community. Until it is changed at the federal level nothing will change as the government does not respect the people nor state rights. By voting these laws in... infact give people a false hope in that they would be protected under state law... now that is wishfull thinking. They spit in our face with the possibility of being legal for pharma... but not for us? This should be our main concern as until that changes... nothing changes!

I agree!

However don`t be so set in wanting it to be `legal` that you are willing to allow your Goverment to Regulate, Control and Tax what should be free choise and a God given right!:

Well said!

cox, "That being said, philosophically I am not against it. They haven't come up with a good way to regulate in the work place or driving to measure it and deal with it."

Work place? mi is an at will employment state, employers can still use any reason not to hire or keep you anyway! some companies won't hire if you test pos for nicotine. they make the rules.

Driving? where is the evidence driving while high is dangerous?

Back
Top Bottom