Pre flower and flower trim?

mandsgrow

Hey all i am looking for some advice. I have some strains that im not sure how to trim them up so they produce nice colas. I have power plant, blue mystic and a diesel og hybrid. How many shutes should i leave on them? This is my first indoor grow, i grew outdoors last year. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Know that i think about it how many chutes should i leave on a indica dominant strain? and how many on a sativa dominate strain? that should keep it simple for you guys. :smokin:

I will give this a shot....
For pre flower set up I usually just TOP the plant to control overall height and produce 2 colas instaed of one. I recently used the FIM technique and I am going to use it more. Although the buds will be smaller I like the way the canopy sits with many even colas.
As far as pruning I am not a fan of over pruning early on. I believe the plant will tell you which branches it wants to keep. I usually just do some light pruning when I flip them. I take just the branches that I know are trouble, too low, too long, too cramped. I try to be gentle and normally try not to cut so much that it stresses the plant out. I continue to do light trimming up to and into the third week, just a few at a time every 3-4 days. By the time I am almost 3 weeks into flower I have been able to make the plant just the way I want, even, well spaced, without alot of bottom or interior bud sites.
I feel that by doing it this way I do not stress the plant out. It is worth mentioning as well that root systems grow proportionately to the canopy of a plant so if you trim heavy the roots will stop growing and focus all energy on rebuilding the canopy instead of focusing energy on bud production.

I hope this helps.

Jonny

My advice while in flower as far a trimming goes is to trim the BUDSITES (only, not the fan leaves) on the lower portion of the plant that receives minimal light. Also remove spindly, weak/small looking lower limbs that look like they'd produce smaller buds. When trimming/pruning in flower try to make sure this is done BEFORE the plant(s) has been on a 12/12 for no longer than 2 weeks. Ideally pruning should be done in veg unless you're doing a ScrOG IMO. In bloom the best way to go would be LSTing, which involves no triming. If you're running out of headroom (space between light and canopy) the supercroping is an option. One thing I noticed about supercroping in bloom is that is slows bud production while the plant is healing. This is my 2 cents, spend it wisely. :peace:

I've got a trimming question. Is it okay to trim off upper large fan leaves say 3 to 4 weeks into flower to help light penetration? Or will this severely hamper future bud growth?

I'm planning on giving it a try, unless this is just a really bad idea.

My advice while in flower as far a trimming goes is to trim the BUDSITES (only, not the fan leaves) on the lower portion of the plant that receives minimal light. Also remove spindly, weak/small looking lower limbs that look like they'd produce smaller buds. When trimming/pruning in flower try to make sure this is done BEFORE the plant(s) has been on a 12/12 for no longer than 2 weeks. Ideally pruning should be done in veg unless you're doing a ScrOG IMO. In bloom the best way to go would be LSTing, which involves no triming. If you're running out of headroom (space between light and canopy) the supercroping is an option. One thing I noticed about supercroping in bloom is that is slows bud production while the plant is healing. This is my 2 cents, spend it wisely. :peace:

Thanks for your 2 cents. So there isnt a rule of thumb?, like 5 main chutes per plant or anything like that? I pretty much just have to see what the plant gives me. I will post some pics tomorrow if you want to check it out and give me a couple more cents. Much appreciated :peacetwo:

Happy to help. Dunno bout a rule of thumb. I just topthe girls once and/or LST and get 4-5 main colas. U can look at some of my recent pics in my member photo gallery. Go to my profile and click BWC BayArea's Gallery in the upper right hand corner. I've also flowered a mom before and got pretty uniform bud growth. No main chute or significantly large buds were noticed. If you look at my topped/LSTed plant pics, you can see a noticeable difference between buds in the upper and lower canopy. Good luck, Happy 420, :peace:

I Prefer to Tuck Leaves

I've got a trimming question. Is it okay to trim off upper large fan leaves say 3 to 4 weeks into flower to help light penetration? Or will this severely hamper future bud growth?

I'm planning on giving it a try, unless this is just a really bad idea.

Its ok, people do it all the time around here. I don't trim healthy leaves. I tuck them behinds other leaves, buds, branches, etc. There's plenty of info on the debate "to trim or not to trim while in flower." Search the forums. When I say plenty of info, I do mean plenty. Its here u just have to take the initiative to find it. Good luck, Happy 420, :peace:

Back
Top Bottom