Pre-vegging?

I don't know about you but i'm not a plant Biologist

Neither am I; it's been decades since high school biology class, and the only "biology" college-level course I ever took was microbiology (101). And I took that one well before I ever entered high school, so the knowledge imparted to me by it is even further back in my past.

and I can not determine what amount of lux it would take to create a response I would assume any amount

Should I have merely stated, "It's pretty doggone dim, y'all, even at its brightest," then? Some of the members here are actually interested in numbers...

the low levels of light leak in the tent can't be much higher than moon light if it's even as much.

I suppose it varies, but you're probably correct (in at least some situations). On the other hand, my above statistic was only for the full moon at (more or less) its brightest - and that only happens once every 28 days or so, lol. Some people believe that the whole "circadian rhythm" (et cetera) thing that animals have evolved over the course of millions of years... is significant in the plant kingdom, too. Which might mean that evolution has provided a means to deal with the monthly moon cycle; I really don't know. One thing I do remember from science class (fourth grade, IIRC), though, is that "pinhole lighting" can be somewhat significant well beyond the actual gross amount of light involved. As an example, we can create a pretty good image (see: methods of safely observing a solar eclipse, early/homemade cameras, et cetera) from just the light allowed through something like that. And, if something is hard to see / focus on - small text, for example, then one can often see it clearly by simply poking a tiny hole through an opaque material (piece of thick paper, whatever) and peering through it. Now that's just observations I made with my poor-quality, high-mileage, Mark I eyeballs, Human, lol; I didn't bother looking up numbers because I didn't want to upset you (again?).

And finally I suggested that tent because it's a cool 60$ and light leak isnt an issue in veg anyways.

$60? Apologies. I went off of - and referenced, if you failed to read my post - THIS:
my 5x5 is from that company. it only cost $150 so it was worth the crappy zipper lol. good thing i don't really need it to be light proof to the max. I got another tent first 4x3 with a useless dividing wall but the tent is super high quality, i find 4x3 not quite enough for me for veg. it'll make a great mother tent when i do get a 3rd one lol.

(Bold) emphasis is mine, to make it easier for you to find the relevant part. Entire post quoted (this time :rolleyes: ) for context. He stated that a 5'x5' from that company cost $150 (and I had no reason to doubt him on that). I looked up the same size tent on Mars-Hydro's website out of curiosity, and when I saw that its list price is in the neighborhood of what he stated his cost, I decided to post what I did. That's all. If I'd had some reason, at the time, to think there was a significant price difference... I wouldn't have posted it. <SHRUGS> I believe in supporting sponsors who have faithfully supported my favorite forum - and its membership - for more years than a lot of people have been members here, but not at the expense of paying significantly more for a comparable product; it would make more sense to just throw some money into an envelope and mail it to the sponsor, lol.

plus he's clearly tied up on space so I figure a 5x5 would be excessive.

So you were specifically recommending a 2'x4' one and not just using the image for reference? Uh, okay. But the person stated (see the complete quote, above) that a 4'x3' tent is not quite enough - and it has 50% more area than a 2'x4' one. :hmmmm:

No worries. The more opinions a person can get, the better off he/she (generally) is. Who knows, he might even have appreciated mine, IDK.

I recently read a full moon causes quicker growth because of the same gravity that creates higher tides on a full moon

Would you happen to have a source for that? If so, I'd be interested in reading it. While the difference in gravity (for lack of a better term) between when the moon is in its full phase, its new phase, or even on the opposite side of the planet is very small - in practical terms, it's adding/subtracting less weight from a person than a lightweight baseball cap would, in other words, a very small fraction of a percent of difference, people are just misled in that regard by tidal movements of large bodies of water (which is a fluid, and masses a fairly significant amount, after all) - I readily admit to the possibility of the moon's position in regards to a plant having some sort of affect.

and someone tried putting their lights under their plants and hanging the plants upside down but gravity won and they ended up growing towards the sky

Lol. I wonder if the gardener was surprised by that? It's not so much that "gravity won" as evidence of an evolved light-seeking behavior in plants (for millions of years, the only light that mattered was ^^up there^^ ). Another thing I'm wondering is whether he/she was able to observe any indications that the normal distribution of auxins (aka "plant hormones") that influence which tip will be the "main cola" would have been affected? To wit, if there might not have been a main cola on that plant. Or something else observable that differed from the norm, IDK.

Darwin showed 139 years ago that growing plants on a slanted surface caused the roots to "take a jog to the side" instead of growing straight away from the seed (this is referred to as skewing). He postulated that this was due to a combination of the root "touching its way across the surface" (trying to find "down," failing, trying again, failing, trying...) - and gravity. And this hypothesis was accepted as fact for 130 years until, in 2010, some experimentation was done in microgravity aboard the ISS, whereupon the experimenter observed that root skewing still took place, even in the (more or less) absence of gravity. There was also an interesting hypothesis formed as a result of that experimentation, but you could (and probably should) regard that as being preliminary and/or tentative at this point, and requiring further study. Science is AWESOME, lol.

By the way, remember those "topsy turvy" tomato planters that were on late-night television commercials 10 or 15 years back (and which can probably still be found in the "as seen on TV" aisle at the local ChinaMart) ? There is a thread or two here in which the grower used those things, and the plants grew upwards in them, too. I think they branched pretty good, though, but I cannot swear to it at this point in time, because I haven't gone back and reread in five or more years.

interesting science.

All science is ;) .

I got another tent first 4x3 with a useless dividing wall

I meant to ask about this earlier, but it slipped my mind. I almost purchased one of those instead of the 3'x3' (actually 39" x 39" :rolleyes: ) M-H tent that I ended up buying. I wasn't thinking about a potential 12 square feet of combined space, I was thinking about the concept of having a flowering space and two(?) small vegetative-growth spaces inside one tent. It doesn't matter a great deal now, because I've already spent the money and only spend that kind of money on myself every... IDK, 15 years or so. But I still wonder about them. Can you explain what you meant when you called the divider "useless?" Were you just meaning that it would be useless to someone who was going to use the full 4'x3' area as one space, or did it seem incapable of actually blocking all the light from "crossing the spaces?"

I meant to ask about this earlier, but it slipped my mind. I almost purchased one of those instead of the 3'x3' (actually 39" x 39" :rolleyes: ) M-H tent that I ended up buying. I wasn't thinking about a potential 12 square feet of combined space, I was thinking about the concept of having a flowering space and two(?) small vegetative-growth spaces inside one tent. It doesn't matter a great deal now, because I've already spent the money and only spend that kind of money on myself every... IDK, 15 years or so. But I still wonder about them. Can you explain what you meant when you called the divider "useless?" Were you just meaning that it would be useless to someone who was going to use the full 4'x3' area as one space, or did it seem incapable of actually blocking all the light from "crossing the spaces?"

The idea is great, and if they had used a zipper instead of velcro to attach the wall it would have worked. but there was a lot of light leak through the corners. it was my first tent and wanted to veg and flower in the 2 sides. little did i know i wouldn't have had the space for that anyway lol.

Neither am I; it's been decades since high school biology class, and the only "biology" college-level course I ever took was microbiology (101). And I took that one well before I ever entered high school, so the knowledge imparted to me by it is even further back in my past.

Should I have merely stated, "It's pretty doggone dim, y'all, even at its brightest," then? Some of the members here are actually interested in numbers...

I suppose it varies, but you're probably correct (in at least some situations). On the other hand, my above statistic was only for the full moon at (more or less) its brightest - and that only happens once every 28 days or so, lol. Some people believe that the whole "circadian rhythm" (et cetera) thing that animals have evolved over the course of millions of years... is significant in the plant kingdom, too. Which might mean that evolution has provided a means to deal with the monthly moon cycle; I really don't know. One thing I do remember from science class (fourth grade, IIRC), though, is that "pinhole lighting" can be somewhat significant well beyond the actual gross amount of light involved. As an example, we can create a pretty good image (see: methods of safely observing a solar eclipse, early/homemade cameras, et cetera) from just the light allowed through something like that. And, if something is hard to see / focus on - small text, for example, then one can often see it clearly by simply poking a tiny hole through an opaque material (piece of thick paper, whatever) and peering through it. Now that's just observations I made with my poor-quality, high-mileage, Mark I eyeballs, Human, lol; I didn't bother looking up numbers because I didn't want to upset you (again?).

$60? Apologies. I went off of - and referenced, if you failed to read my post - THIS:

(Bold) emphasis is mine, to make it easier for you to find the relevant part. Entire post quoted (this time:rolleyes: ) for context. He stated that a 5'x5' from that company cost $150 (and I had no reason to doubt him on that). I looked up the same size tent on Mars-Hydro's website out of curiosity, and when I saw that its list price is in the neighborhood of what he stated his cost, I decided to post what I did. That's all. If I'd had some reason, at the time, to think there was a significant price difference... I wouldn't have posted it. <SHRUGS> I believe in supporting sponsors who have faithfully supported my favorite forum - and its membership - for more years than a lot of people have been members here, but not at the expense of paying significantly more for a comparable product; it would make more sense to just throw some money into an envelope and mail it to the sponsor, lol.

So you were specifically recommending a 2'x4' one and not just using the image for reference? Uh, okay. But the person stated (see the complete quote, above) that a 4'x3' tent is not quite enough - and it has 50% more area than a 2'x4' one. :hmmmm:

No worries. The more opinions a person can get, the better off he/she (generally) is. Who knows, he might even have appreciated mine, IDK.

Would you happen to have a source for that? If so, I'd be interested in reading it. While the difference in gravity (for lack of a better term) between when the moon is in its full phase, its new phase, or even on the opposite side of the planet is very small - in practical terms, it's adding/subtracting less weight from a person than a lightweight baseball cap would, in other words, a very small fraction of a percent of difference, people are just misled in that regard by tidal movements of large bodies of water (which is a fluid, and masses a fairly significant amount, after all) - I readily admit to the possibility of the moon's position in regards to a plant having some sort of affect.

Lol. I wonder if the gardener was surprised by that? It's not so much that "gravity won" as evidence of an evolved light-seeking behavior in plants (for millions of years, the only light that mattered was ^^up there^^ ). Another thing I'm wondering is whether he/she was able to observe any indications that the normal distribution of auxins (aka "plant hormones") that influence which tip will be the "main cola" would have been affected? To wit, if there might not have been a main cola on that plant. Or something else observable that differed from the norm, IDK.

Darwin showed 139 years ago that growing plants on a slanted surface caused the roots to "take a jog to the side" instead of growing straight away from the seed (this is referred to as skewing). He postulated that this was due to a combination of the root "touching its way across the surface" (trying to find "down," failing, trying again, failing, trying...) - and gravity. And this hypothesis was accepted as fact for 130 years until, in 2010, some experimentation was done in microgravity aboard the ISS, whereupon the experimenter observed that root skewing still took place, even in the (more or less) absence of gravity. There was also an interesting hypothesis formed as a result of that experimentation, but you could (and probably should) regard that as being preliminary and/or tentative at this point, and requiring further study. Science is AWESOME, lol.

By the way, remember those "topsy turvy" tomato planters that were on late-night television commercials 10 or 15 years back (and which can probably still be found in the "as seen on TV" aisle at the local ChinaMart) ? There is a thread or two here in which the grower used those things, and the plants grew upwards in them, too. I think they branched pretty good, though, but I cannot swear to it at this point in time, because I haven't gone back and reread in five or more years.

All science is ;) .

Yea I specifically searched through amazon and found the best price to size ratio that seemed like it would work decently in veg I sure did.

And Dawrins Theory of evolution is wrong it's natural selection and adaptations to our environment that make us change not some magical force that somehow changes something that came from nothing into more complex forms.. that's as dogmatic as any religion.

I do remember those topsy tomato planters even if they somehow made the plant grow faster I would worry about nutrient water run off into buds causing mold and nutrient contamination.. but the science is definitely cool.

(Bold) emphasis is mine, to make it easier for you to find the relevant part. Entire post quoted (this time:rolleyes: ) for context. He stated that a 5'x5' from that company cost $150 (and I had no reason to doubt him on that). I looked up the same size tent on Mars-Hydro's website out of curiosity, and when I saw that its list price is in the neighborhood of what he stated his cost, I decided to post what I did. That's all. If I'd had some reason, at the time, to think there was a significant price difference... I wouldn't have posted it. <SHRUGS> I believe in supporting sponsors who have faithfully supported my favorite forum - and its membership - for more years than a lot of people have been members here, but not at the expense of paying significantly more for a comparable product; it would make more sense to just throw some money into an envelope and mail it to the sponsor, lol.

All science is ;) .

He stated he already owned a 5x5 never that he was looking for another 5x5 to match it, not everyone has the room for that and it's unnecessary for veg.

And Dawrins Theory of evolution is wrong it's natural selection and adaptations to our environment that make us change not some magical force that somehow changes something that came from nothing into more complex forms.. that's as dogmatic as any religion.

:rofl:(!!!)

I'm feeling too lazy at the moment to hobble downstairs and grab my copy of one of his books from my little physical library (On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, which includes approximately 50 pages in a chapter specifically titled "Natural Selection" :rolleyes: ), so I'll just quote from a Wikipedia article:
These are the basic tenets of evolution by natural selection as defined by Darwin:

1. More individuals are produced each generation than can survive.
  2. Phenotypic variation exists among individuals and the variation is heritable.
  3. Those individuals with heritable traits better suited to the environment will survive.
  4. When reproductive isolation occurs new species will form.

Sure, he initially came up with a couple ideas that weren't exactly things that I'd consider compatible with reality, but that doesn't automatically invalidate everything else he produced. If it did, there'd be about three people on the planet (all of whom would still be in diapers) that could be trusted to produce sense, because it's a reasonable supposition that the rest of us have managed to step on the old crank at least once in our lives.

And, regardless, even if he *firmly believed* that the tooth fairy came out of the seventh branch of blue nirvana, riding on the Easter bunny, to personally create every member of every species in the universe... even that wouldn't invalidate his experiments, because he followed proper scientific method inasmuch as such was possible. But if we take this thread any more off-track than it already is, this train will probably turn into a submarine, lol, and I'd be wholly unsurprised to learn that MrHPotter (the OP of the thread) isn't best pleased by our posts. Otherwise, I'd be happy to sit here and poke holes in your arguments one by one all afternoon, at least until I found something even more entertaining. But, in all seriousness, we're probably not helping the OP with this crap. . . .

:rofl:(!!!)

I'm feeling too lazy at the moment to hobble downstairs and grab my copy of one of his books from my little physical library (On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, which includes approximately 50 pages in a chapter specifically titled "Natural Selection" :rolleyes: ), so I'll just quote from a Wikipedia article:

Sure, he initially came up with a couple ideas that weren't exactly things that I'd consider compatible with reality, but that doesn't automatically invalidate everything else he produced. If it did, there'd be about three people on the planet (all of whom would still be in diapers) that could be trusted to produce sense, because it's a reasonable supposition that the rest of us have managed to step on the old crank at least once in our lives.

And, regardless, even if he *firmly believed* that the tooth fairy came out of the seventh branch of blue nirvana, riding on the Easter bunny, to personally create every member of every species in the universe... even that wouldn't invalidate his experiments, because he followed proper scientific method inasmuch as such was possible. But if we take this thread any more off-track than it already is, this train will probably turn into a submarine, lol, and I'd be wholly unsurprised to learn that MrHPotter (the OP of the thread) isn't best pleased by our posts. Otherwise, I'd be happy to sit here and poke holes in your arguments one by one all afternoon, at least until I found something even more entertaining. But, in all seriousness, we're probably not helping the OP with this crap. . . .
Even a broken clock is right two times a day, just because he was close doesnt mean he was right the theory of evolution isnt taught in schools for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom