Prefabricated Grow box VS DIY Box?

1extraclip

Hey guys so Ive been contemplating between a prefab grow box vs DIY build. The majority of people are suggesting a DIY box. So can people help me design one. I want to base my design on a Supercloset Trinity 2.0

Super Closet

Here is my parts list:

$600 - 2 Cabinets
Mastercraft Metal Garage Tall Cabinet | Canadian Tire

$2600 - 3 LED lights
Grow LED Hydro, Products, Spectra 150w, Spectra 300w, Spectra 600w, Growing LED Lights

$160 - RO water system
hydroponic supplies and equipment for hydroponic grow systems : Canadian Wholesale Hydroponics. 1 (877) 226-4769

$500 - 2 Fans w Odorsok
hydroponic supplies and equipment for hydroponic grow systems : Canadian Wholesale Hydroponics. 1 (877) 226-4769

$280 - CO2 Regulator with Solenoid + Flow Meter

$300 - Tools (Saw,Drill)
Spiral Saws | Saws | Tools | Home Depot Canada

$600 - Nutes Year supply
'Advanced Nutrients Professional Bundle Complete 3 Bundle Pack 1 liter - Advanced Discount Packages

$50 - Ducting

$350 - Clone Res
EZ Clone System - Hydroponic & Aeroponic Systems

$450 - Veg Chamber
'Progro Power Buckets - 6 Plant Hydroponic System - Hydroponic & Aeroponic Systems

$450 - Flower Chamber
'Progro Power Buckets - 6 Plant Hydroponic System - Hydroponic & Aeroponic Systems

$300 - Nutri Dip Tri Meter pH,PPM,TEMP

$50 - Mylar

$60 - Rockwool & Hydroton

$120 - Thermostat

$150 - Aditional Fans

$300 - Time/Labor/Extras Etc.

Total $7470.00

WTF what am I missing how is prefab box half price? :thedoubletake:

:peacetwo:

Lets say for arguments sake that 3 x Spectra LED 180 (New 2011 model) are sufficient for the three grow chambers.

450.00x3 = 1350 (Plus Tax %10 and shipping) = $1600

No Labour / No Thermo / No RO

The total is still $5,870.00

The prefab is $3,800.00 plus tax and shipping. About $4,800.00

Hmm...my boxes didn't cost near that. I got my cabinet for 30$ and the major part list came to 1200$ with 400w hps which is proven over L.E.D. atleast to my knowledge.

The biggest complaint after months and months of pouring over these websites is that the prefab boxes don't hold up to thier claims. This is comming from people that own them. I would suggest to do yet even more research on what you are looking at buying from people that have them either in use or sitting in the corner. I've seen these used 'boxes' on craiglist for fraction of the cost also.

I'm just a squirrel in this place trying to get a nug....

Oh, I forgot one of the most important things! It ships for almost $500 I wouldn't be suprised if the cabinet itself comes in a 'FLAT' box that needs assembling. :) So you are still going to be into the cabinet the amount of 'time' you need to understand the directions and put it together. You do on the other hand get the two or three holes in the cabinet cut for you!

Bakin away in ..............

i'd think that if you do a little shopping around, you can find some better deals, and also, this website has some outstanding DIY ingenuity all over the place. keep reading and looking. What size were your grow areas going to be?

the only prefab box type thing I would consider is the spinner. I personally don't think LED technology is there yet.

that's just my .02 so don't hit me with a roll of quarters!

heh, Budly, not all lights work for everyone, but there are a few people out there doing outstanding things with the new 3w 60/90 degree USA leds. (180 to 300 watt range). I really think that what i want to do, it will be the secure way to go. i am getting so much good info from all of you and the journals i am following that if i fuck this first one up, i just might have to grow another and another!!

There's a ton of great info out there, you just have to sift through 4 tons of opinion to get to it.

I look forward to LED tech maturing. I know in the theatrical lighting industry, they're up to 5w diodes. I'm hearing seasoned light guys starting to accept them, I think that's what will wake it up here too.
There are great grows on these journals using CFL, LED, HPS and I've even seen a few incandecent. There's no question that it can be done. It's just the effeciency thing only works for me if my stash box stays full between harvests and I cant stuff enough of them in my space to assure me the big buds that I so desire!

When I started my setup a couple of years ago, the same hype was being pitched. If I would have bought what they were peddeling then, I would have 4 of those UFO things. sure I might only use 320 watts, but I would have almost nothing in the end.

So 4 UFO's in the trash isn't very effecient.

again, just my .02. I'll be one of the first to jump to the first generation of lighting that outperforms what is tried and true.

You might take a look at the spinner. I've read many positive reports and have a friend in CA that has 4 of them. He pulls 1-1.5 lbs ea a cycle on them using 400 watt lights. That's 2-3X as effecient as most grows journaled here.

I dunno, I haven't used either LED or a spinner so I can't speak first hand. Just one of thoses items on my radar as I strive to get the most bud for my buck!

Also, if you're just dipping your toe in for the first time with this. You may want to consider starting smaller and expanding. Everyone I have helped setup has changed my system to suit their own style as it developes. Every setup is unique as is the style of the grower.

I tried to do the 100% stealthy thing and went to great pains and expense to acheive it. Ends up, I like doing this more than I thought so I ended up not using this space for it's original purpose and have grow equipment laying around all over the place.

My priorities changed a bit which effected my growing style, I could have spent all of that money better had I a clue as to the direction it would head.

So I started with a 1k air cooled in a 4 x 5 space. I'm now 4 x 12' with 2 1k water cooled soon to be 3 600 water cooled.

I have accumulated 4 600w ballasts, 3 1000 ballasts, 1 400 watt ballast. 2 chillers, 2 dehueys, 2 airconditioners. of which I use about 1/2 at any given time.

heh, well I can't be quite that conspicuous yet. I'm going LED's too, screw the money, i want lower elect costs cause if this first part works out right, i will have 2 of these and also run a couple 3x3 tents with singles plus my clone/veg part. i need some card holders... or i will!! The goal is harvest every month, if i can work that out. or at least every 6 weeks worst case..

I went with a DIY cab (details on first page of aborted first journal in sig) and using LED for FLOWERING! There are a bunch of benefits to LED's (and some drawbacks) but you do need to get a good one cuz' there's a lot of "snakeoil saleman" in the LED market.

With LED, you have lower elecric costs, longer bulb life, lower temp's so also lower cooling requirements, etc.

The reason I went with a DIY cab is b/c all of the pre-fab's (and I looked at all of them!) either cost a fortune, or are using inferior parts, or both.

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom