Prepping my first DWC questions

Canuckush

I've been doing a lot of reading on this site and have taken in quite a bit of information, water levels, plant level in the net pot, temps, ppm, ph, ec and am wanting to try either a purchased kit or a diy kit, I'll be checking for local supplies to make that decision.
I'm going to try a NL auto, so after germ what should I put the taproot in before it's big enough for the net pot?
Can I start it in a soil/jiffy pod (which I have on hand) or just go with rapid rooter?

I use rapid rooters, work well for me
Never used the jiffy or soil ones, but I'm sure they will be fine. Ive transfer from actual soil to netpot so I know that works

Good luck, holler if ya have questions

I use rapid rooters, work well for me
Never used the jiffy or soil ones, but I'm sure they will be fine. If transfer from actual soil to netpot so I know that works

Good luck, holler if ya have questions
Will do, those rooters, does the seedling have to be removed from it before going in to the net pot like I would have to do to a soil pod? Or just leave them together for the roots to outgrow?

Just leave it in the root riots and toss it in the net pot and hydrotron
Ok thanks, that's what I'll order then, better than unnecessary disruption of the roots by using soil pods.

Yes I've watched a few videos on YouTube, I'm thinking of building my own single bucket, without the water level view tube, its not necessary and may as well just avoid the possibility of alge.

Pumps, tubing, air stones and buckets are available locally, no net pots or hydrotron balls though, those will have to be ordered online, no such thing as a hydro store in these parts.
Locally available supplies is about $30 all together, on line orders about $20 plus shipping.

yes rapid rooters are the way to go as mentioned glad to see that is what you are going with . I germinate mine via paper towel method and when the tap root is about 3/4" I take a "CLEAN" razor blade and cut a slit into the center and gently place the seeding in in and then put them in a seeding tray with a dome. I have had fantastic success doing this and once rooted put them in your medium of choice . In hydro just make sure that the bottom of the cube is at least 1/4 above the water level as they will draw up water and that can cause issues . Happy growing .

yes rapid rooters are the way to go as mentioned glad to see that is what you are going with . I germinate mine via paper towel method and when the tap root is about 3/4" I take a "CLEAN" razor blade and cut a slit into the center and gently place the seeding in in and then put them in a seeding tray with a dome. I have had fantastic success doing this and once rooted put them in your medium of choice . In hydro just make sure that the bottom of the cube is at least 1/4 above the water level as they will draw up water and that can cause issues . Happy growing .
Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated!

:passitleft:

Regarding the diy option, I almost forgot to price out the rapid rooters, so add another $11 to online orders that brings the estimate to $60 before s&h to build a single bucket dwc in this rainy little city.

Instead of hydrotron can perlite be used?
Just trying to keep as much purchases as local as possible.

Yes I've watched a few videos on YouTube, I'm thinking of building my own single bucket, without the water level view tube, its not necessary and may as well just avoid the possibility of alge.
Imo the level tube has some good advantages, for one when your building your bucket you can stick your net pot in without hydroton and see were the level is one or two inches below the net pot and mark it on the tube so when you add water you know were the level is with out having to pull the top and look, also you can see how much there drinking with just a quick look, I use a blue tube and it doesn't seem to build to much alge, also if you do need to clean I bought a cheap gun cleaning rod and attach a clean piece of cloth to the end and run it up and down a few times and then turn the tube to the side and let a bit of water run through to a glass.

I see I've misspelled it a few times, hydroton, isn't a readily available item around here, perlite is so I'm thinking of just using perlite after a good time before use.

Not time, rinse, stupid autocorrect. I'll use the perlite after a good rinse.
And I'm going to make my own net pot out of small plastic planting pots that I already have.
Definitely a diy project coming soon, seeds have been ordered already.

Regarding the diy option, I almost forgot to price out the rapid rooters, so add another $11 to online orders that brings the estimate to $60 before s&h to build a single bucket dwc in this rainy little city.
That's a lot mate. See if you can get a gt205 NFT reservoir delivered where you are. Might be something that interest you. Same thing basically but don't need an air pump. It comes with a wee recirc pump and that's more than enough. £30 ready to go. All you need extra is the RR and some rockwools . My profile pic is an auto grown that way. Real easy system to use and more forgiving than dwc because the roots aren't actually in the water.

That's a lot mate. See if you can get a gt205 NFT reservoir delivered where you are. Might be something that interest you. Same thing basically but don't need an air pump. It comes with a wee recirc pump and that's more than enough. £30 ready to go. All you need extra is the RR and some rockwools . My profile pic is an auto grown that way. Real easy system to use and more forgiving than dwc because the roots aren't actually in the water.
Checked it out, every one came up as UK, couldn't find it available in Canada.

Air pump, is 60 L/H good in a 5 gallon bucket? Although it wouldn't actually have 5 gallons in it, more like 3 to 4 depending on net pot depth.

Perlite won't work, go hydrotron

Ya... Kanuckistan is tuff to get things.
My single black bucket system with eco1 pump was right at $35 with hydrotron

What color bucket? I used the home center orange kids and, well, my 2nd run had a hell of a time with goopies till I realized what it was

Get some enzyme cleaners like hydroguard or z7 or z9 I think I'm Kanuckistan

I would suggest a better pump if you decide to run more buckets

I got an Ecoair Commercial 3....whisper quiet, love it. Decided to get another accidentally ordered a Vivisun... uggggghhh loud as hell...lol but an ok backup

Perlite won't work, go hydrotron

Ya... Kanuckistan is tuff to get things.
My single black bucket system with eco1 pump was right at $35 with hydrotron

What color bucket? I used the home center orange kids and, well, my 2nd run had a hell of a time with goopies till I realized what it was

Get some enzyme cleaners like hydroguard or z7 or z9 I think I'm Kanuckistan

I would suggest a better pump if you decide to run more buckets

I got an Ecoair Commercial 3....whisper quiet, love it. Decided to get another accidentally ordered a Vivisun... uggggghhh loud as hell...lol but an ok backup
I'll check out the ecoair, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom