President Obama’s Proposed 2011 Budget Bolsters War on Drugs

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
According to 2011 funding “highlights” released this week by the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), the Obama administration is expanding the war on drugs and focusing its funds toward law enforcement over treatment. The budget puts America’s drug war spending at $15.5 billion for fiscal year 2011; an increase of 3.5 percent over 2010 and an increase of 5.2 percent in overall enforcement funding ($9.7 billion in FY 2010 to $9.9 billion in FY 2011). Addiction treatment and preventative measures are budgeted to increase from $5.2 billion to $5.6 billion.

Furthermore, President Obama chose to continue funding the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign, which is run by the drug czar’s office and has for years emptied its coffers on absurd anti-marijuana ads that veer far from the truth. One such ad released in 2006 insinuates that marijuana use can lead to rape, a particularly dishonest claim considering that alcohol, a legal drug, is a factor in a huge majority of sexual assaults.

“This budget reflects the same Bush-era priorities that led to the total failure of American drug policy during the last decade,” said Aaron Houston, MPP director of government relations. “One of the worst examples is $66 million requested for the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign when every independent study has called it a failure. The president is throwing good money after bad when what we really need is a new direction.”

With more than 29,000 members and 100,000 e-mail subscribers nationwide, the Marijuana Policy Project is the largest marijuana policy reform organization in the United States. MPP believes that the best way to minimize the harm associated with marijuana is to regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol.

News Hawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Examiner.com
Copyright: 2009 Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com
Website: President Obama?s proposed 2011 budget bolsters War on Drugs

Re: President Obama's Proposed 2011 Budget Bolsters War on Drugs

just horrible. what is Obama thinking?

he is giving into the prison-industrial complex and continuing a war against US citizen....

Hey Mile High I can't send you a PM because I dont have 25 posts yet could you please dend me a copy.
Respects,
SSNUGS

Its like I said months ago when Obama said he was going to cut potheads some slack, AIn't going to happen. He's a chronic liar and this is just another example.

no surprise.

It seems like even the president fears for his job if he steps any closer to cannabis legalization.....interesting.

Its like I said months ago when Obama said he was going to cut potheads some slack, AIn't going to happen. He's a chronic liar and this is just another example.

There you have it. Politicians on either side say one thing while campaigning and do the exact opposite once elected.

Actions speak louder than words.....this is deafening.

The will of the people means nothing to these clowns.

It is the will of Big Money/Corporations. ;)

untile the lobbiest are unable to to spread the poison of there employers like the lumber industry and the pharm, and the health ins and and the DEA nothing will change.

Look at the upside folks...In the time that the Pres said he would relax the Fed laws regarding busts, the MJ movement has gained quite a bit of ground ie; more dispensaries, court case victories etc. That he has "flipped" or flat out lied if you will, should come as no great surprise, however, as I said, he did leave the door open just long enough for our cause to be even more formidable than ever. As Andy from the movie Shawshank Redemption said, "It's just a matter of time and pressure. Time and pressure....:peace: MF

Not everyone in this country is pro cannabis like most of us. Their still is vast number of people who truly believe in their hearts that marijuana and illegal drugs is a terrible thing. Since 1996 California and other States has shown the world that marijuana has very positive effect than was portrayed by the war on drugs that our government to this day is still trying to use. Some people still believe in the propaganda. Our politicians are still using the drug card for their own personal gains. Thinking that we are pacifists, when in reality we are very active in standing up for our rights and come election time this year I think politicians are in for a rude awaking. Obama has open the door by his policy's in respect to government marijuana raids. he has to show a effort in pleasing the other side too. I think this will be a good thing for us. We now have a reason to give them hell. The number one question in America is government spending and Obama knows it and he also knows that marijuana is hot issued. So when a budget go's out with increases in the war on drugs people are going to say bull sh*t...So congress will now get a ear full on this issue. Today go out and register to vote and let your congressman know how you feel about this issue...

All i can say is , we helped put him into office, and we can and will take him out of office !! When you look at the industry, that mj defendants and prisoners support, they it's easy to understand , it's big business !! I mean, what will them stupid, lazy prison guards do for a living ?? I sure wont hire them !! Now maybe then they'll see how people feel when they can't get a job, because they have a record for possessing KILLER WEED. How many inocent people went to prison for weed ?? How many kids lost a mom or dad ?? And our goverment talks about civil rights !! Where's our rights ?? When our missionaries go to other countrys and are telling the people how wonderful America is, i bet they don't tell them that we have more people in jail than any other country.

Back
Top Bottom