Pretty sure I have cannabis allergy!

noobgrow1

So...after 3 plus decades of no weed I jumped right in and now one grow under my belt (approx. 1 lb dry weight ). I have gone by the initial sensitization ie: not being able to walk after a couple hits. So one of the worst things about cultivating is well err excesses! I am so into the culture and lifestyle I associate with cannabis, I have made lots of GD tinctures and when I began to experiment with coconut oil is when I was certain it is a cannabis allergy.

I began with a strange itch identical spot both sides of my ribs & I was wondering what was causing this as it is a new phenomenon for me. Sure enough MMJ allergies are beginning to rise apparently. I am really like WTF it's kind of a cruel joke w my allergies I suffered in my 20's from pollen etc. Most recently I began immunotherapy 2 years ago as other allergies were really killing me.

So when I began to imbibe again I had allergic reactions most times depending on whatever I could get, usually unknown strains. Now I get strain info from a med grower if I buy anything. However my first harvest was Sept - Oct as such personal use has gone up commensurately.

A quick scroll through the forums shows yes in fact plenty of evidence but no one posted any answers. If anyone else has this experience and some success with managing it please chime in!

I am in 50's again no cannabis since late 90's until maybe 18-24 months who counts?! Medical necessity as I am weaning down pain meds & do have legit pain 4 joint replacements to date. Think fingers are soon to follow, meaning they are swollen and painful now & have been hurting for several years.

Any allergy sufferers out there please reply my concern is ending up with that projectile vomiting weed disease. Really would prefer to manage symptoms, we are a Medical Legal State but I seriously wonder if there are antibodies yet available for immunotherapy

I`m sorry to hear of your allergy. I don`t have one to cannabis, but will offer a suggestion as a way forward.

As you know, there are many compounds in cannabis. You may be able to eliminate the terpenes by decarboxylating in an oven. I put mine in the oven for 2hrs at 110°C (230°F). You`d need to check, but a higher temperature, or longer exposure should evaporate or destroy the terpenes. It would eliminate them as a cause of your allergy. Just an unproven suggestion as food for thought.

Thx Old Salt-

It is quite strange I began taking probiotics & could almost swear they help. Guess I may end up back for shots provided they can test me. I have considered mold also, I have all my own stash seed to cure. But I am toward the end of it, harvest late sept early Oct. As best I can tell humidity in jars was 55-65% burped for weeks, but when it got lower due to winter I steamed a bit still low RH in jars but who knows.

So I think mold possible but would think decarb would kill it, maybe I need to goolge mold...I also think as my first harvest was pretty incredible for me, as such I imbibed a bit more experimenting with edilble, tincture, oils infused or just chomp ABV with some PB or Olive oil. So AVB about 1.5 or 1.8 grams depending how dark and vaping sesh or two. I read what I assume are kids / young adults saying they use 2 grams for a buzz.

I could guarantee my initial sinus reactions were to mold spore on mystery weed. I am considering terpenes but I had reaction from even AVB that's been decarbed a bit more. I swear my last batches of drops I carbed out my THC. I also have quite a tolerance now.

I will post back any changes I notice & thank all for suggestions!

I am torn between the packs vs vacuum pack & freeze user friendly qty 1/4 or 1/2 each. No mold then no worry I have read too concerning. I just cracked frozen goodness from October it's not pretty but seems more potent than my ball jars!

If my buzz lasts more than an hour I consider it 100% scientific OK anecdotal proof. I swear I would get my month supply and have less effect before stocking up. Every fresh batch seems stronger to me.

But I will experiment with packs for fresh and defrosted stash in the future no doubt.

My friend told me something once, i was complaining that every time is smoke most kinds of pot i get a really runny nose. he explained that pot can affect histamine in a person. I also sometimes ( but only when i'm tired and trying to sleep ) get really itchy but it's in small ( feels like pin size ) areas and as soon as i scratch another spot gets itchy lol. this only happens rarely. I blame it on the pot messing with my histamine levels, even though i really know jack about it LMAO..

I don't know if this relates at all to your allergy but it's my only experience with pot and allergies. I hope you can one day smoke without any ill effects.

Pollen?

Just wanted to update should anyone else have strange reactions. Whatever I reacted to was relatively short in duration. May have been my stash somehow had mold, however I think more likely it was the topical lotion / balm I was experimenting with.

I am so relieved after a few weeks no more issues! Occasionally I still get some congestion but the reactions I was having I believe were some autoimmune reaction. I suffer from most likely several types of arthritis possibly psoriatic arthritis, not confirmed but suggested once by rheumatologist.

Strange symptoms red and inflamed index & middle finger knuckles the larger ones where finger connects to hand, may not have been the cannabis at all. Could be suspect CBD oils & isolates or other oils used for those balms and massage oils.

After completing my second rushed grow & finished up all from my first seems all is pretty great at least with allergic reactions.

Did any of those balms/lotions happen to contain capsaicin? It can be a skin irritant. It helps with arthritis but some can't tolerate it.

ETA: Some also have allergy to coconut.

Glad it was short lived.
Most of this so called "Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome" has nothing to do with the cannabis itself but Azamax that's been used as a pesticide.
Yours sounds like what you think might be which is mold or maybe a certain terpene.

And I wouldn't freeze your cannabis.
That stops all curing.
Just put the buds in jars with 62% Boveda packs after you've dried it to between 60 to 65% and store in a temperature stable room preferably 70 degrees or less and in total darkness.
After 6+ months cure the bud is way better.

Did any of those balms/lotions happen to contain capsaicin? It can be a skin irritant. It helps with arthritis but some can't tolerate it.

ETA: Some also have allergy to coconut.
No capsaicin I have tried that years ago, aside from being ineffective always ended up toughing sensitive body parts & suffering burning for hours!

I noticed last time I was at the local holistic health nut's store that he had a display of capsules for people who are allergic to poison ivy to buy and eat. I picked one up and read the card, and they're just full of dried/ground poison ivy.

I'm just sayin'... ;)

i get verryyy irritibale skin, not psoriasis or dry skin even, just itchy, on my legs back arms sides, not all the time, periodically, considered it was a washing detergent being used, but not sure if its that as same one could be used when no itching occurrd and no problem.
the misses tells me its smoking weed, reading about it affecting histamine levels makes me wonder if maybe it is that.. lol

i also considered if it was the weed, was it something being used during the grow that was affecting it.

duno, i guess anyone can have allergies to almost anything so stands to reason people can very well be allergic to cannabis

So...after 3 plus decades of no weed I jumped right in and now one grow under my belt (approx. 1 lb dry weight ). I have gone by the initial sensitization ie: not being able to walk after a couple hits. So one of the worst things about cultivating is well err excesses! I am so into the culture and lifestyle I associate with cannabis, I have made lots of GD tinctures and when I began to experiment with coconut oil is when I was certain it is a cannabis allergy.

I began with a strange itch identical spot both sides of my ribs & I was wondering what was causing this as it is a new phenomenon for me. Sure enough MMJ allergies are beginning to rise apparently. I am really like WTF it's kind of a cruel joke w my allergies I suffered in my 20's from pollen etc. Most recently I began immunotherapy 2 years ago as other allergies were really killing me.

So when I began to imbibe again I had allergic reactions most times depending on whatever I could get, usually unknown strains. Now I get strain info from a med grower if I buy anything. However my first harvest was Sept - Oct as such personal use has gone up commensurately.

A quick scroll through the forums shows yes in fact plenty of evidence but no one posted any answers. If anyone else has this experience and some success with managing it please chime in!

I am in 50's again no cannabis since late 90's until maybe 18-24 months who counts?! Medical necessity as I am weaning down pain meds & do have legit pain 4 joint replacements to date. Think fingers are soon to follow, meaning they are swollen and painful now & have been hurting for several years.

Any allergy sufferers out there please reply my concern is ending up with that projectile vomiting weed disease. Really would prefer to manage symptoms, we are a Medical Legal State but I seriously wonder if there are antibodies yet available for immunotherapy

HI EVERYONE, SORRY FOR ALL CAPS BUT I'M DYSLEXIC....HELPS ME SEE THE LETTERS BETTER. IF YOU LOOK AT MY INTRO TO 420 I'M A SCIENTIST.

NOT TO BANG PROBIOTICS....THEY ARE EXCELLENT BUT NOT FOR CANNABIS ALLERGIES. ADDITIONALLY, TERPENES ARE NOT A SINGLE CAUSAL AGENT TO AN IgE REACTION. MY SUGGESTION IS OBTAIN PURE CBD FOR PAIN MITIGATION. TO MY ALLERGY LADEN FRIEND....PLEASE BE EXTREMELY AND I EMPHASIZE EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND PRUDENT OF CANNABIS CONSUMPTION WITH YOUR CONDITION!! IgM and IgE IMMUNE RESPONSE ARE CUMULATIVE, THEREFORE THTHE CHANCES OF ANAPHYLAXIS ( DEATH) ARE EXPONENTIAL.

Cannabis sativa (hemp) is a plant that thrives in diverse environmental conditions. It is used as industrial hemp (low THC cultivars) in manufacturing of yarn, fiber, installation and rope. Hempseed is also touted as a super food rich in protein and promoted for general good health.

Higher THC cultivars are grown for medicinal use generally in the treatment of nausea, anxiety and pain. It is consumed as a recreational drug commonly known as marijuana. It is generally smoked, vaporized or eaten. This industry is growing at a rapid pace particularly with the legalization and relaxation of the laws governing marijuana use.

Allergy and Sensitization
Cannabis exposure is common. In the southwest United States pollination by female plants results in airborne dissemination with inhalation and resulting sensitization. Marijuana sensitization can also occur in workers involved in the flourishing marijuana industry.

Hempseed exposures can be inadvertent as it is found hidden in foods and drinks.

Allergic sensitization including the development of specific IgE can result from inhaling, smoking, touching, and eating marijuana or cannabis allergens.

How do I know if I have a marijuana allergy?
The symptoms of marijuana allergy include many clinical manifestations depending on how a person was exposed. Contact or touching the plant can result in breaking out in rashes, hives, or swellings called angioedema. Breathing or inhaling marijuana allergens can result in nasal or ocular or eye allergy symptoms. This includes runny nose, sneezing, itching, and swelling and watering eyes. Asthma with the development of wheezing and shortness of breath also can occur. Anaphylaxis has also been reported. This most commonly occurs with hempseed ingestion.

In addition there is reported cross-reactivity between marijuana and certain foods. Cannabis cross-reacting foods that have been reported to cause allergy include tomato, peach and hazelnut. This is due to cross-reacting proteins or allergens found both in marijuana and these foods. This cross-reactivity can potentially cause serious allergic reactions. The important and relevant allergens still require research and clinical definition.

Diagnosis
There is no standard way to test for marijuana allergy, at present, and a careful history is typically used. Skin testing could be considered for patients who have histories of cannabis allergic reactions. The allergist can prepare an extract or slurry using the buds, leaves and flowers of the marijuana plant. A standard prick skin test, similar to that which is done in any standard allergy testing can then be done. While these tests are not standardized they can be used generally to predict allergic sensitization.

Summary
With the increased use of cannabis or marijuana by industry, medicine, and the general population as well as legalization there will be more reports of allergy. The symptoms although usually benign include nasal, ocular and pulmonary complaints. However life-threatening reactions have occurred but are generally limited to hempseed in marijuana allergic individuals. The definition and importance of the associated food allergies still need to be defined by research. Vigilance and awareness are paramount. Treatment is generally avoidance to insure there are no severe consequences. Hopefully it will also include immunotherapy in the future with the development of new research.

I thought I was the only one that has an alert related to cannabis, if I use cbd oil or a high saliva based strain I start to shake, my muscles feel like I constantly need to try and stretch them as hard as I can, can't keep still and feel in general really uncomfortable, the higher the strength of the cbd the worse the outcome, it's honestly the worst horrible feeling in the world.

OOPS, HIT POST BUTTON BY ACCIDENT...

ONCE AGAIN I'D LIKE TO HELP ALL THOSE HAVING ALLERGIC REACTIONS TO CANNABIS....IN SHORT THERE ARE MANY REASONS WHY CERTAIN INDIVIDUAL'S EXHIBIT IgE AND IgM REACTIONS TO CANNABIS. FIRST, RESEARCH INDICATES THAT HIGHER THC CONTENT IS ONE COMPONENT OF SEVERAL THAT HAVE BEEN RESEARCHED AND EXPLORED. ADDITIONALLY, OTHER NON CANNABINOID ELEMENTS SUCH AS MOLDS ( WHICH CONTAIN MYCOTOXINS) , RESIDUAL PESTICIDES, CONTAMINATED SOIL.....ETC CAN ALSO AID IN INDUCING ALLERGIC REACTIONS. IN ONE THREAD A GENTLEMAN SUGGESTED THAT DECARBOXYLATION PROCEESS KILLS MOLDS....NOT SO. MOLDS HAVE A UNIQUE WAY OF THRIVING IN EXTREME ENVIRONMENTS CALLED SPORULATION OR MAKING SPORES .....WHICH ARE LIKE LITTLE M1 TANKS. EVEN IF IT DID RENDER THEM NON VIABLE IT DECAROX. IS NO WHERE HOT ENOUGH TO GET RID OF THE MYCOTOXINS.....AND MYCOTOXINS ARE VERY DANGEROUS.

Back
Top Bottom