Prevent pollination

Jello

420 Member
Hi there,,

Thanks for your help!! I know this question sounds weird, but is there a way to prevent pollination? I always keep an eye on my plants and actually they are all female (I know and I see the difference between Male and Female). However, sometimes a few buds contain 1 or 2 seeds. Even though this is little, it sucks....

Well, I don't stress them, no light during sleep, etc. So I think it comes from the outside. I grow indoor but maybe pollen come in when the door is open. Only way.

Is there a spray or dung, anything else how I prevent my plant from getting "pregnant" :)

I saw there are sprays like this one: (see picture)

Leaf coat covers the entire plant, including the yield (buds) with a thin film, so I assume that pollen would have no chance to enter, am O right?

Anyway, this was a lot of text and information, sorry. Well, if you have any tips or products that actually help, I would love tho hear them.

Best

Screenshot_20220218-200733_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hey!
There would have to be a male cannabis plant nearby for this to happen. Obvious, I know.

Could they be foxtails? Can you provide a photo?
I don't have a picture right now because I harvested last week. As I said I checked them, the were all female. It isn't traumatic, I had about 10 seeds in about 0,6 lbs, but still not optimal since it taste weird when you smoke them and they pop. Is there (besides checking and taking care) a product, a spray or dung for prevention?

I'm not familiar with any cannabis birth control, but I'm pretty new at this.

If your bud tastes weird, it might be because you're smoking it too soon. A week is just enough time for it to dry. And then there's the curing process.

I'm not familiar with any cannabis birth control, but I'm pretty new at this.

If your bud tastes weird, it might be because you're smoking it too soon. A week is just enough time for it to dry. And then there's the curing process.

I guess you misunderstood me, I'm sorry. It tastes delicious, sweet, perfect. But when I smoke a bud which contains a seed, it smells weird because, you know, the seed gets hot and then it pops, and well, burned seeds in your blunt just doesn't taste that good! But the bud is delicious (I let it dry for 2 - 3 weeks)

My only problem is the prevention (well, I'm still looking for a good product for that)

There would have to be a male cannabis plant nearby for this to happen.
It might be that a nanna has grown within the bud and self pollinated to produce a seed or three, if so I understand these to be S1 female seeds. The nannas are only small and hard to spot. If anything a few S1 females seeds might be a bonus if you're short of seeds.

That would make sense. I guess that's it. Only bad thing is that I make my own clones and I have more than enough seeds Is there a way to prevent or stop the plant from self pollination?? That would be awesome!!
It might be that a nanna has grown within the bud and self pollinated to produce a seed or three, if so I understand these to be S1 female seeds. The nannas are only small and hard to spot. If anything a few S1 females seeds might be a bonus if you're short of seeds.

Pollen is microscopic and floats on the air, a closed door doesn’t really matter. There is evidence that sprayed water will defeat spilled pollen…. but that doesn’t mean you should spray your buds due to risk of pm…

leaf coat is meant as pest protection…. not pollination prevention

seeds from a hermie carry the genetic tendency to go hermie…

I guess you misunderstood me, I'm sorry. It tastes delicious, sweet, perfect. But when I smoke a bud which contains a seed, it smells weird because, you know, the seed gets hot and then it pops, and well, burned seeds in your blunt just doesn't taste that good! But the bud is delicious (I let it dry for 2 - 3 weeks)
I take it you do not check the buds for seeds.

In the good ol' days when the world was young and innocent we would be removing 50 or more an ounce. We would get tired of looking and figure one or two or three in a joint was not all that bad since the odds were good that a popping seed would not land on bare skin.;)

It might be that a nanna has grown within the bud and self pollinated to produce a seed or three, if so I understand these to be S1 female seeds. The nannas are only small and hard to spot.
I figure that most of the time when a grower says that something is pollinating his or her plants it is one of these stray banana looking flower parts and not a male plant growing a mile away. Yep, there is usually only one, maybe two seeds. They are small and many times just barely sticking out of the bud and just a few seeds per ounce.

way before sinsemilla the only tech we had was a sifter made by using edge from pack of rolling skins & double album cover, we got as many out as possible but everyone had a burn hole in their shirt

but if you find you are smoking an occasional bean then I submit you are not breaking it up enough / not grinding properly…. said very politely… ain’t no spray gonna fix that shite!

oh snap, where are my manners?? In my defense - yup I was raised by wolves.

anywho - welcome aboard Jello….!!!

Cannabis self pollinate. It's part of their genetics and nothing we can do about it.

Check your plants for male flower deep inside close to the main stem early in flower thats where they usually show up and snip them off. That easy.

IF you worried about pollen water will render them useless. I dont spray plants specifically to get rid of pollen. Cutting out the male bits works fine. You gotta be vigilant the male bits show at around 14-21 days in flower. Some strains are more prone to it than others and some strains will do it late in flower (sativa) which is rare these days since we run hybrids mostly.

I run landrace sativa from time to time - they always try and self pollinate late in flower. When I see that its time to chop.

I was going to say something along those lines but figured there was a reason for not using a grinder or breaking up the buds.;)
Nothing like finding a seed in your cookies :D (seed what I did there?)

Back
Top Bottom