Pro Mix HP with mycorrhizae

Cottonballs

I just wanted to clarify if this medium is a soiless hydroponic medium.

After nearly a year using this medium and going through one hell of a time with nute burn and lockout, my plants have suffered with crunchy yellow leaves and producing about 1-2oz per plant.
I came across a post with someone else using pro mix hp and they said it's hydro and his ph was upwards of 8.

The ph we have been following is for soil and have been keeping it around 6.8-7 and I just wanted to make sure that I need to follow hydro ph from 5.1-6.1ph

Thanks all. I can post pics if needed.

Awesome! I'll check it out
my ph from tap is about 6.8-7 and I run dynagro and dyna bloom. It doesn't drop ph at all and I know I can get ph down to lower it. I used to run a nutrient called medi1. Basically bat and fish shit, it would take our ph to 3.3 lol, is it ok to mix two different nutrients? All I would do is put a tiny amount into the water to drop it to correct levels.

My tap water is 8.0 so I have to use white vinegar to reduce the ph, but I also use liquid PH Down sometimes, its just a lot stronger than the vinegar. Mixing nutes is a hard question. I just use 2 separate jugs to water my plants now, one for the main chem nutes and the other for amendment stuff like the bat guano, organic stuff, epsom salt, etc.

I used to use Vinegar. But, I was also using natural nutes and molasses. One day I got to sniffing, and my mouth started watering ... smelled like beer in my room.
Finally figured that with the mix I had, lots of oxygen bubbling with lots of sugar and complex proteins -- hell, I was MAKING beer. Plants didn't seem to mind - but, I did. Don't want my girls getting drunk.
Now I use Ph down only. It is cheap - costs about $10 for a gallon, and that lasts me a looooong time.

~Auggie~

Just finished with the changes. I picked up some ph down and an air stone pump with two lines. I made a res from a rubbermaid 34gal tub and well let it bubble overnight before I put ph down in it. From the tap is 8.10-8.15. I'm aiming for 5.7-6 in the res tank, I can't believe I've missed that pro mix is soiless for nearly two years :volcano-smiley:
this will account for literally EVERYTHING. . my yields have averaged 1-1.5oz on a good harvest to 20grams on some plants in the beginning. . This summer was my best however. My outdoor garden produced 350+ grams, just over a pound from eight plants.
Now that I am on the right path of medium requirements that's my next goal. Thank you all for replying so fast! I will be making a new journal in the up coming weeks and I would love to see you all enjoy the ride and pass on some extra tips! Stay frosty all.

Thanks stealth, every day I do research to try and learn as much as I can.

After letting my 34gal res, the ph is still pretty hot. Before adding ph down it was 8.10, we added nearly five teaspoons off general hydro ph down and it hardly budged.. I'm a little worried of adding too much ph down and I need the res to be at 6.0 for the medium. I know if I drop it too much I can't add ph up because that will tarnish the water, but does anyone know if adding a shit load of ph down (5 teaspoons or more for 34 gallons) is not a good thing?

hi guys. i read what id going on and see some issues. im not expert but i know bunch here that are.
from what i learned . promix i have friend uses it. never mix anything with it. and when adding chems to it. we use fox farm and trio mix, its pretty good stuff. but Growology he on here too. has a good mix all you need to is add and go. no maintenance on it using promix. its all made for it. look him up. ask him about it. very good stuff.
now. from my experience is when using hydro. little at a time. all i can say. when you get to point thats it dont change it.
i use both hydro soil and promix. i like soil better less things can go wrong. but if you need answers ask. there alot good folks here and will gladly answer anything here. sure helped me.

For my mixtures, I usually use about 28 drops of ph down per gallon, so scale that up to 34 gallons and that's 952 drops or so. 20 drops is roughly 1 mL, so we get 952/20= 47.6mL, quite a bit still. I think it would be fine since you are working with 34 gallons, a big amount. Just don't over do it!

Ok cool I was getting worried because it is really concentrated and I didn't know if it would take a while for it to drop down. I'll check on it today and see what I coffee up with. Thanks again

For my mixtures, I usually use about 28 drops of ph down per gallon, so scale that up to 34 gallons and that's 952 drops or so. 20 drops is roughly 1 mL, so we get 952/20= 47.6mL, quite a bit still. I think it would be fine since you are working with 34 gallons, a big amount. Just don't over do it!

Everyone's ph is going to be a bit different. In MY area, I use a 30cc shot glass (an ounce) in 50 gallons and get it close enough. Your computations above is more than TWO ounces for the same amount. That is YOUR water, not mine - and the OP's may be different still. I always put an ounce of Ph down while the water is going in. Then put the nutes in - then check the Ph with a pen. If it needs more down I do it in very small amounts till its right on 6.1 or so.
I find that in about 24 hours it sometimes needs a bit more down, just a bit. When its been sitting a while, be sure to stir up the pot well, as the Ph can differ from the surface of the solution to the bottom - quite a bit sometimes.

If you do it a bit too much and end up with a Ph of 5.2 -- just toss in a teaspoon of baking soda test again.

The BEST piece of equipment I ever bought for my garden was the Ph pen. Costs about $100 and well worth every nickel. Take care of it and it will last a long time.

~Auggie~

That's what mine comes out at as well. I let the water sit out and put the air pump and stones in and it didn't change that day. I'll check it tonight and post the update.

Yea we have city water so it's full of chlorine. City water=shitty water lol. Thanks for the info

Ya know, there is a misconception about chlorine. It really doesn't hurt your plants, in fact it can be beneficial. I keep two 50 gal plastic barrels. One for the nute mix, the other is just plain Ph'd water. I don't know why, but sometimes the plain water res gets to smelling real funky. Kinda like shit, but not. Dirty feet, dirty ass, arm pit ... you know, funky.
When it got like that I'd empty it and wash it out real good - but every couple of months it would get to smelling.
Not the nute one - just the plain water one.

One day I was talking to the guy behind the counter at the grow store and mentioned that and he told me that I was prolly not using as much plain water as nuted water so the bacteria had a chance to grow - and there was prolly a little bit of nutes in there too for food for the lil buggers. He said to put about an ounce (30cc) of bleach in the water when it got to stinking. So, now, that's what I do. I have a Pepsi bottle that I relabeled that says "Poison - Bleach" on it. I also use about 5cc in the res of the bubble cloner and it keeps the bacteria from going nuts in there too.

All chlorine is - is bleach. It kills bacteria.

Now, this isn't bad for your garden UNLESS...... you are growing organically. Organic ferts rely on beneficial bacteria. If you dose your girls with chlorine or chlorine bleach you will kill those bugs off. If you are not growing organically, it doesn't hurt a thing.

... and, believe me. You want chlorine in your city water if you use it for bathing, cooking, drinking.

I have grown organically - and not. I don't see the difference. My girls can't tell the difference. It's just a LOT more hassle.
But that is a discussion and argument that has been going on for many, many years ... to each his/her own.

Good point here.
I know that chlorine is in all water except RO to my knowledg the. After I called gardening store by my house about the ph issue and after everyone's input I have finally gotten the ph in my res to 5.6. We have flushed all of our plants this week with the water we had before I got the res so they will be hungry and I'll feed them tomorrow when the medium dries out.
After we watered I filled the res back up and ph was at 6.9 so I added little by little and got ph back to 5.8. I am going to start my second journal either this week or the following and I would love to see all of you come and see what's going on. Your input, suggestions and tips have been really helpful and I hope to continue learning about this amazing plant. Thank you all again! !

Might I add.... GO HAWKS! 12TH MAN FAN

Ya know, there is a misconception about chlorine. It really doesn't hurt your plants, in fact it can be beneficial. I keep two 50 gal plastic barrels. One for the nute mix, the other is just plain Ph'd water. I don't know why, but sometimes the plain water res gets to smelling real funky. Kinda like shit, but not. Dirty feet, dirty ass, arm pit ... you know, funky.
When it got like that I'd empty it and wash it out real good - but every couple of months it would get to smelling.
Not the nute one - just the plain water one.

One day I was talking to the guy behind the counter at the grow store and mentioned that and he told me that I was prolly not using as much plain water as nuted water so the bacteria had a chance to grow - and there was prolly a little bit of nutes in there too for food for the lil buggers. He said to put about an ounce (30cc) of bleach in the water when it got to stinking. So, now, that's what I do. I have a Pepsi bottle that I relabeled that says "Poison - Bleach" on it. I also use about 5cc in the res of the bubble cloner and it keeps the bacteria from going nuts in there too.

All chlorine is - is bleach. It kills bacteria.

Now, this isn't bad for your garden UNLESS...... you are growing organically. Organic ferts rely on beneficial bacteria. If you dose your girls with chlorine or chlorine bleach you will kill those bugs off. If you are not growing organically, it doesn't hurt a thing.

... and, believe me. You want chlorine in your city water if you use it for bathing, cooking, drinking.

I have grown organically - and not. I don't see the difference. My girls can't tell the difference. It's just a LOT more hassle.
But that is a discussion and argument that has been going on for many, many years ... to each his/her own.

I think about it differently. A chlorine ion is negatively charged and since it has a large amount of valence electrons, it will be much more likely to bond with atoms, especially the positively charged ions like Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium. The plant needs all these ions, but the introduction of chlorine would make those positive ions and negative ions combine into new molecules the plant can't use. So from my understanding, the chlorine ions could potentially bind with elements in my nutes, thereby rendering the nute solution worse off since the chlorine binded with some of the ions in the nutes. Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass but I think there is definitely something to this, so I still think chlorine is bad imo.

Back
Top Bottom