Pro Mix Organic Vegatable & Herb Question

smokiebear

I have Pro Mix Organic Veg & Herb mix I want to use mixed with perlite. Pro Mix lists the ingredients as:

Canadian sphagnum peat moss
Peat humus
Compost
Perlite
Gypsum
Limestone
Organic fertilizer
MycoActive™ Organic Growth Enhancer (Mycorrhizae)

I remember reading somewhere that it truly wasn't organic, and that's just fine with me. It's just what I had access to.

Mix 50/50 with perlite, right? Is that the optimal percentage?
Is this soil nutrient heavy, or am I likely to need nutes sooner? Not sure what exactly is in the "organic fertilizer". Is this even considered soil?
And lastly, are there any common problems with the pro-mix organic?

I haven't seen much around on this specific mix, but while I was hunting I didn't see HP or BX, and I've read too many things about potting mixes to trust them.

I'm also way too excited for my own good to get growing, so please, feel free to talk to me like I'm 5. My thumb is far from green, I need it!

Not sure on that one, but i use the purple bag, potting mix and my nutrients and have no complaints so far. Also I dont mix any other soils or ingredients. Would say let your plant grow and age a little & when you first use nutrients start 1/4 strength and go from there.
Best way to find out how a soil is, start using it and see how you plant reacts as she grows.
Purple bag one been working good for me, so havent bothered to try others.

They're going in it either way since Pro Mix over all has good reviews (like yours!) but past experience is always helpful.

I'm a firm believe in "hindsight is 20/20". No one said I couldn't use someone else's hindsight :rofl:

After the morning routine is done, I'm off to get nutrients. Not sure what I'm getting yet but I'm looking for Advanced Nutrients or Canna Terra. If they offer neither, I have a list of others in order of reviews.

It really depends what the local hydro shop has or if I have to go into town.

I've used the green, orange and purple. I found the herb and vegetable to be pretty light. I add about 20-30% perilite. I use fabric potts so too much perilite and the pots dry out too fast for my liking. Pro-mix has a decent amount of perilite in it already to. I like to add some ewc also, plants seem to love it.

I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I'm new here to the forum as well as the whole scene, and I'll be growing my Crop King Skunk seeds in this stuff. Would anyone like updates?

I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I'm new here to the forum as well as the whole scene, and I'll be growing my Crop King Skunk seeds in this stuff. Would anyone like updates?
I'd like to hear how the grow went and what sort of issues you ran into. I checked for a grow journal but couldn't find one. I just starting a grow using the pro-mix soil and I curious if it is to hot for seedlings.

Peace

I'd like to hear how the grow went and what sort of issues you ran into. I checked for a grow journal but couldn't find one. I just starting a grow using the pro-mix soil and I curious if it is to hot for seedlings.

Peace
Well, lucky this board emailed me, I'd almost totally forgotten about this board!

Well I'm on round 3 of trying to grow crop king skunk seeds in this soil. First time it grew great. 2nd time I needed bigger planter pots as I was using, I think, 2 gallon pots? The plants grew great until stopping suddenly one week and that's when I noticed roots poking out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the medium sized planters they were in.

After a botched transplant attempt (even after leaving the soil to dry for days, I realized I had packed down the soil too hard, and the plant came out of the pot in big muddy chunks) into a bigger, plastic storage bin filled with the potting mix and holes drilled for drainage, they survived for a little longer until I managed to get hold of a Ph meter, some Ph down formula made for spa's and jacuzzi and I basically murdered what was left of them by using too much Ph down in my water in an attempt to Briggs the soil Ph down to 7.5

Its been one helluva journey.
They were doing their best before I transplanted them to the big tub which didn't work. I have photos. Will share when I get a moment to upload them somewhere.

Either way, I'm now on round 3, this time with much bigger planters from the start in order to prevent root lock. I'm not messing with the Ph this time either, at least not until they get a little bigger and stronger roots. I started with 3 seedlings but after tripping and dropping my germination plant, this came down to 2. I'm happy to say both are surviving so far.

Ill keep everyone posted on how it goes

The new planter pots are I believe 5 gallons and should definitely have room to let the roots flourish this time around. I'll admit I'm kind of learning on the job with this stuff but I'm excited to be on the journey :)

Well, lucky this board emailed me, I'd almost totally forgotten about this board!

Well I'm on round 3 of trying to grow crop king skunk seeds in this soil. First time it grew great. 2nd time I needed bigger planter pots as I was using, I think, 2 gallon pots? The plants grew great until stopping suddenly one week and that's when I noticed roots poking out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the medium sized planters they were in.

After a botched transplant attempt (even after leaving the soil to dry for days, I realized I had packed down the soil too hard, and the plant came out of the pot in big muddy chunks) into a bigger, plastic storage bin filled with the potting mix and holes drilled for drainage, they survived for a little longer until I managed to get hold of a Ph meter, some Ph down formula made for spa's and jacuzzi and I basically murdered what was left of them by using too much Ph down in my water in an attempt to Briggs the soil Ph down to 7.5

Its been one helluva journey.
They were doing their best before I transplanted them to the big tub which didn't work. I have photos. Will share when I get a moment to upload them somewhere.

Either way, I'm now on round 3, this time with much bigger planters from the start in order to prevent root lock. I'm not messing with the Ph this time either, at least not until they get a little bigger and stronger roots. I started with 3 seedlings but after tripping and dropping my germination plant, this came down to 2. I'm happy to say both are surviving so far.

Ill keep everyone posted on how it goes

The new planter pots are I believe 5 gallons and should definitely have room to let the roots flourish this time around. I'll admit I'm kind of learning on the job with this stuff but I'm excited to be on the journey :)
Im hoping for those pictures and updates! Did you figure it out with that soil?

Im hoping for those pictures and updates! Did you figure it out with that soil?

hi @Firebob :welcome:

i see you are new. why not pop by the intro section and tell us a little about yourself.

you are asking a question to a thread that is 5 yrs old, and the OP has only 3 posts, and has not been here for years. you likely won't get a response.

Back
Top Bottom